What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

I loosely followed this: https://www.africanbites.com/coconut-fried-rice/

I had coconut rice frozen from something else and left out the curry powder. Used broccoli instead of peas and didn’t add any broth. The soy sauce had enough salt. I’m sure would be fine vegetarian or with another protein.

1 Like

Mouthwatering! Recipe link handy?

Thanks!

1 Like

Last night was blackened chicken quesadillas with salsa and avocado, and various other leftovers. No pics.

2 Likes

Boiled peanuts are a joy and brings back too many memories. That and oysters cracked open on the beach. Both a treasure inside

1 Like

Tsukune? Here’s what I did:

1 lb ground chicken (I usually use turkey, more flavorful)
Aromatics - 2” ginger, 2 big cloves garlic, 1/4 onion, 2 scallions
Seasoning - soy and sesame oil (2T each), s&p
Binders - 1 egg, 2T or so panko (both of which I forgot yesterday)
Optional - 1 finely grated zucchini

Mince the aromatics finely (in mini FP or grate onion and mince the rest by hand).

Mix everything well into the chicken - you want a very smooth mixture (“overmixed” for me). Check seasoning and adjust. Chill for a while.

Real cooking method - form into cylinders or balls, on skewers, grill or broil, basting often with tare sauce to glaze. (As you saw I was lazy yesterday and formed patties with a scoop, then poured the sauce over the cooked patties and let it reduce to a glaze).

Tare sauce:
1/4c soy
1/4c water
2T fish sauce or dashi (optional)
1T mirin
1T sake (I used shaoxing instead)
2-4T sugar or to taste (or honey)
1” ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, grated
Black pepper to taste

Simmer everything till it reduces to almost a glaze (it will thicken as it cools) - if going the basting route.

If you’re using the cheat method I did, reduce only halfway - the glaze will form while simmering with the patties.

(This sauce is amazing on mushrooms btw - esp wild).

4 Likes

Oh yum, thanks!

Trying to keep our dinners a bit off beat over the past two weeks resulted in a plate of Detroit Coney Island hot dogs with Tots as a side. Flint (MI) does a riff off this called the… Flint Coney. And in upstate New York, it’s a Michigan.

8 Likes

Simple dinner tonight: Trader Joe’s sausage and cheese ravioli with a diced tomato cream sauce, and sauteed spinach with Aleppo pepper.

14 Likes

Spicy beef noodle soup. Cucumber salad with sesame dressing.

10 Likes

Tomato (and goat cheese) dressed with tomato (pico de gallo), Salvadorean sour cream

Pepper, potato and sausage “stew”

13 Likes

I picked out a real nice T Bone steak from the local butcher. Cooked more rare than medium on ci skillet .One of those days of the year with ketchup on the side . Sauteed zucchini, side of beans . Cheers. :wine_glass:

11 Likes

I wanted a mostly veg meal after lots of meat, so I made mushroom-Swiss crepes served up with applesauce (not pictured), leftover roasted onions/garlic/apples, and smoked sausage for the guys.

10 Likes

Maple-Pepper sockeye salmon, basmati rice, and asparagus. The plain salmon was frozen from TJs, but even with a Maple-Pepper seasoning, it was rather bland and meh.

:::shrug::: You win some, you lose some. So I bent the rules and had a glass of wine.

My phone won’t load pictures right now for upload, so you’re spared a:::meh::: meal picture.

2 Likes

I’ve had the worst luck with TJ’s frozen filets, except for mahi mahi (which is still inconsistent). I stick to the jumbo scallops and wild shrimp and the halibut bites or (über greasy) fish nuggets.

1 Like

Banh Xeo. Viet crepe. In the country so lacked favorite reliable recipe, and and had to sub powdered coconut milk for canned. Recognizable but not our usual product

14 Likes

Yardbird.

10 Likes

Seared the vietnamese pork loin I had marinated. Had it with rice and then remembered the turkish green beans too.

Also testing some gluten free versions of indian flatbreads for favorite little person. Today’s version not ideal, but gave me some ideas for the next attempt.

11 Likes

Agree TJ’s frozen fillets are not great. Costco is my favorite, for individual vacuum sealing, Ikea even was better than expected.

TJ’s refrigerated fish and scallops are actually much better than the frozen.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m just going to stay away from it now. The wild salmon looked great…beautiful deep color, but just nothing on flavor. Will just stick to my once-a-year Seabear Copper River purchase in May/June.

3 Likes