What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

I have another I cooked the size of a very small filet. I think I’ll use it in a salad. My local butcher cuts larger-than-normal sized steak tips, so it’s usually a single one that fills me up along with the typical sides of tater and green veg.

Besides, I still have a bit of wine to finish. :wink:

2 Likes

After five consecutive Mondays it’s a BLT to the rescue.

15 Likes

Indian summer is over and autumn is back. A Manhattan rocks. roasted cranberry pork tenderloin, sauteed haricot verts with bacon and a sweet potato salad.

15 Likes

You take your eye off the broiler for ONE SECOND. (Still tasted pretty good.) Tuna melt, homemade pickles, Robuchon-esque potatoes (somewhat less than TPSTOB).

IMG_9674

12 Likes

Pasta & Black Truffles … Lovely little restaurant 30km. from Barcelona centre.

7 Likes

I still think Robuchon-esque potatoes would make me way more Rubenesque than I already am. :wink: They look fabulous!

5 Likes

And as you can see, I did not have a dainty portion! They were very good. How could they not be? I’ll do some cardio tomorrow or something.

3 Likes

Whereas I’d be like Scarlett and SAY I’d think about the cardio tomorrow. :wink:

6 Likes

Today I thought about cardio while I was doing yin yoga. That must be good for something, right?

4 Likes

Weird but absolutely delicious cross-cultural dinner of spicy grilled corn and crispy pork belly from my favorite Vietnamese place and an end of summer Greek salad. Flavors really worked together.

19 Likes

Baked ziti. Well, actually penne. For the clan.

I’m going to have raw yellowtail.

Crudo, sashimi, ceviche, Tiradito?

14 Likes

I like your style!

5 Likes

Haircut. And talk about the Patriots’ season.

Petco for the boyz. (FYI… disruptions in supply chains are affecting availability of both canned and dry pet food.)

Trader Joe’s. (FYI…they have WAY too much pumpkin stuff. Although I did buy one item pumpkin-ginger related.)

Wegmans. Holy hell. They’re also being affected by people not wanting to work, even though they’re listed as one of the best places to work for. Crazy-busy and long checkout lines, but with patience, Grasshopper, and I got out of there unscathed.

Dinner was my usual Haircut Day dinner: pan-seared sea scallops (5 of the 6 were coral-colored), toasted Israeli couscous with lemon and shallots, and steamed green beans.

Wine. And perhaps a Licor 43 for dessert. Or gingersnaps.

19 Likes

We have rain today, wonderful, glorious rain. Dinner was meatloaf, asparagus with buttah, crispy onions and a green salad with sugar snaps, radish, green onion and creamy Greek dressing. Manhattan before, after will be a Galliano rocks with a squeeze of lime and a splash of soda.

14 Likes

I like that you have a Haircut Day dinner, and it sounds wonderful.

3 Likes

LONG DAY. HOT DAY.

The museum I work at had its annual Flea Market today and we handle the food/refreshments. My friend and I grilled 300 hot dogs and 70 brats for the masses of hungry shoppers. A close-up of the action:

For dinner, our ghost hunting group met up at the museum to talk about our October “haunted” fundraising events. There was whiskey. And Chinese food. But mainly whiskey.

Between the heat and the grill, I think I drank 10 bottles of water today, but that Jack hit the spot nicely.

15 Likes

My first try at Cacio e Pepe . I’ve watched those Roman chefs cook this dish multiple times on YouTube. It was like go ahead and tile your own bathroom. Yep . I will attempt it again. Tasted good. Cheers.

19 Likes

We enjoyed another spectacular dinner at our new favorite restaurant, James on Main, in Hackettstown, NJ. We enjoyed an outstanding golden tilefish with pumpkin seed crumble, sweet corn velvet, foraged black trumpet mushroom, pickled beet butter, and red sorrel; hamachi crudo with pumpkin seed oil, local delicata squash pickle, micro cilantro, and spiced pumpkin seeds; lamb kofta with chickpea hummus, tzatziki, olives, and grilled lavash; wood fired hog chop with apple cider and maple glaze; pastrami cured salmon; chocolate mousse with hazelnut toffee crunch. It all went great with an excellent Spanish Priorat and Chateauneuf Du Pape.

11 Likes

Gorgeous sear!

3 Likes

Tonight: Mustard salmon (leftover), tuvar dal (yellow pigeon peas) cooked with cauliflower stem and aromatics, roasted cauliflower and fennel with harissa, and quinoa+rice blend.

Everything was good, but the roasted fennel was definitely the star.

Earlier: White-cut / Hainanese poached chicken, quinoa+rice cooked in the chicken broth, scallion-ginger-garlic sauce, crispy onions.

Also crisped up the skin.

Hard to argue with how tasty this simple meal continues to be. I may have to do it again next week.

15 Likes