James on Main - Hackettstown, NJ

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main. Details and pictures are in the main WFD thread below.

Never had blue rare American Bison and have never seen it on a menu here … How would you rate it in comparison to blue rare Black Angus ? Are they similar in taste ?

Looks like a dynamic lunch or dinner …

Have a lovely summer.

1 Like

Thank you!
It was very good and had a nice char to it. I had it prepared medium rare. It is pretty similar to a black angus steak.

1 Like

I have not seen it here but may be the Michelin Chefs are working with it …

I have to ask about …

Curious.

1 Like

We enjoyed another phenomenal dinner at James on Main. Details and pictures are in the main WFD thread below.

3 Likes

We enjoyed another spectacular dinner at James on Main. Details and pictures are in the main WFD link below.

2 Likes

Mrs. P enjoyed a fabulous birthday dinner at James on Main. Details and pictures are in the main WFD link below.

4 Likes

Happy birthday to Mrs P!

1 Like

Thank you @Metsfan86 ! I’ll convey the message to Mrs. P.

1 Like
1 Like

Wow you really love this place. Your pictures are really nice! We had high expectations due to your reviews, but we were kind of disappointed. First off, I didn’t like that our table was between 2 tables and were so close together. Anyway, we got the 3-course. I thought that there would be shaved pieces of truffles in the mushroom bisque, but more like grated as I could hardly see them. It didn’t look like your picture and definitely not worth another $20. Then the tuna crudo, the grapefruit kind of ruined it, I couldn’t even remember what the tuna tasted like. I liked the pork belly though. The duck confit was good, but then the watercress puree that came with it was so bitter. The miso glazed black cod, well, the skin was not crispy (maybe it wasn’t supposed to be), but I couldn’t taste the miso either. The dish was just ok. The best miso black cod I’ve ever tasted was at Nobu. The wood fired shrimp was good. I might give this place another chance, maybe try the other dishes.

2 Likes

I am so sorry that you didn’t enjoy your meal at James on Main. It is a very small space, so the tables can be a little close together. I usually request the larger 4 top table by the window ahead of time. The strip steak, hog chop, and burrata are pretty good. They have changed the menu a little since we were last there, so I haven’t tried the spare ribs or duck breast yet. We are going next week. I find that the servers are very friendly and treat us like family (maybe because we are regulars). The Circle in Newton is another nice new restaurant you might like.

Welcome, @IAmAFoodie! I don’t know if you’ve been ‘lurking’ for a while or not, but based on your name, you’ve come to the right place. :slight_smile: I haven’t been to James on Main because I live in Central NJ now, but spent most of my life in NNJ until I made the leap over the Driscoll. What are some of your local favorites up there?

1 Like

Maybe next time we need our car serviced in Hackettstown, we’d give them another try. I just wouldn’t go out of my way to go there, since it’s about 30 min away :slight_smile: That’s funny that you mentioned The Circle, because we dined there the next day after James on Main. I actually heard the hostess telling somebody on the phone to try James on Main since they were fully booked that night. Made me laugh since we were just there. I think The Circle definitely earned their place in NJ monthly’s 30 best restaurants. The duck was awesome, and the espresso ice cream hit the spot! I saw your review also on that, and again, your pics made their food look so good :slight_smile:

Hi @CurlzNJ, I didn’t have notifications turned on so just saw this today :slight_smile: I happen to find this site because I was looking for reviews for James on Main. So haven’t been ‘lurking’ for a while lol! We don’t really eat around here a lot. Usually, we would only dine when it’s NY restaurant week, or Hudson restaurant week, because I like to try different restaurants and that’s the time to do it. We did just try Latour at Crystal Springs, and I really enjoyed the food, ambiance, and the view! Very expensive though, but worth it if you are celebrating a special occasion. A more budget friendly option is Zeugma in Montclair. It’s Turkish, food was delicious and everybody including the owners and chef were so friendly. Definitely going back to try the other dishes. You are in Central NJ, you should try Elements in Princeton. We did the 15-course chef’s tasting menu and the presentation was outstanding! Some were really good, some just ok, but I would go back once the menu changes.

1 Like

I’m glad that you enjoyed The Circle. We are going back on Sunday. That duck presentation is outstanding. The lobster dish, their soups, and burrata are also excellent.

Thanks! Zeugma is on my list, as I have friends/family in Montclair and love Turkish food; just haven’t been up there for more than ‘drive-through’ visits in the last year, but I’m looking forward to trying it. BIG fan of MishMish and his other restaurant/market on Valley Road - have you tried those?

Zeugma Grill is very good. We haven’t been there in a while because Montclair parking sucks :grinning: Their Avogannush, pumpkin muhammara, grilled octopus, and Manti, among other things, are excellent.
The main MishMish is closed. I think it was replaced by an Indian Restaurant. Chef Meny mainly has the Marcel Bakery on Valley Road which has incorporated some of MishMish dishes.

1 Like