What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Grilled chicken, broccolini, and an Elderflower Gimlet, because what else on a Wednesday? Over some penne vodka because I needed a lazy carb.

18 Likes

Lunch … Solomillo de Buey at home. (Filet Mignon would be the closest cut of Basque Black Angus).

8 Likes

Last night was beer and rice!

10 Likes

Thursday. Monkfish at restaurant - lunch for 4 … Down by the Old Port …

7 Likes

Good luck with the cacio e pepe. When it turns out well, I think it;s the best of the Roman pasta dishes.

5 Likes

What is Greek monastery sauce?

@ernie_in_berkeley, there is a Greek monastery and convent in Eastern Washington; they always have a booth at our local Greek Festival in Tacoma, as well as in Seattle too, probably. They sell their delicious tomato sauce in quart jars for “holy” prices, but it’s so delicious, it’s worth the splurge. (They also sell honey, jams, beeswax candles and soaps/lotions.)

One year we had a huge crop of tomatoes, as well as a long Indian summer, which led to lots of canning. I decided to try making my own “monastery” sauce, which comes pretty close. It’s similar to jarred pasta or marinara sauce, but quite generous with the olive oil. Also, onions, garlic, Greek oregano, bay leaves and Ceylon cinnamon are other additions. If they hold the Greek Festival this year, I’ll probably buy another few jars, since our crop this year has been good, but not fantastic. They sell out every year, which means Sunday isn’t the best day to go. Oh, and there’s 9 pints of it on the pantry shelves from this year’s harvest, and looking at maybe 10 -15 more pints, but that will probably be about it.

8 Likes

I wanted bacon.
I wanted pizza.
I gotz arugula to use up.

So I made a white pizza with bacon and arugula with a Parmesan cream sauce mostly patterned after the linked recipe. I half-sauteed the bacon before putting it on the pizza, I added roasted red peppers and omitted smoked mozz, because I don’t like smoked mozz. And I sprinkled some Parm-Reg on the arugula salad.

It was quite nice. And I had wine.

18 Likes

Not attending tonight’s NY Giants game so I decided to host a bit of a boys game night. I wanted a NY them so Peter Luger night it is.

Extra thick pork belly, seasoned and coated with brown sugar and fresh maple syrup.

Prime porterhouse for 2 & a prime double cut (more like triple) tomahawk rib eye. Unfortunately distracted finishing the Other dishes I took my eyes off the grill and had a flair up severely over charred the seared crust)

Sides:
Sautéed broccoli stalks, loaded baked potatoes (sans the $16 charge) truffle Mac n port wine cheese.

Onion rolls to soak it all up.

Few bourbons and martinis with the possibility of the second half viewed outside with my finest $2.59 cigar!

Gooooooo Giants!!! (I’ll finish my broccoli for a win!!!)

(Peter Luger bottle for reference and yes that’s a full sized bottle!!! Lol

23 Likes

Pork dumpling burgers with stir-fried vegetables in peanut sauce alongside. Simple but really satisfying!

20 Likes

Gorgeous cut of meat!

1 Like

A lot of your stuff looks tasty but looking over your posts you seem to really tend to eat very meat focused with a lot of steaks (and even your restaurant posts are very similar). Just curious if you only post about those meals and leave other stuff out or do you never cook (or eat in a restaurant) Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vegetarian, French etc. food

1 Like

Grilled cheese burger, orzo salad. I’m stuffed and of course there was alcohol.

16 Likes

Beautiful

2 Likes

Real nice meal . # 86 should have caught that ball .

You are my hero!

I hope it tastes as awesome as it looks!

1 Like

BF and I went to our once favorite bar for the first time since before COVID. Actually, we were here the night before New Jersey shut down in March 2020. It was good to be back! If you remember, we used to come here weekly. A lively and much-missed atmosphere tonight due to the football game. So many memories here over the years and this visit was long overdue.

He had a pitcher of Budweiser (ambitious yes, but he did not finish!) while I had a Stoli martini that @NotJrvedivici would go crazy for, where I could not detect a trace of vermouth. Our waiter/bartender poured it out of the shaker at the table each time-- I had two for those counting!

For food, BF had the healthy combo of sweet Thai chili wings with spiral fries while I had a Cajun chicken sandwich. All adequate.

No frills but damn satisfying as this long week nears its end.

18 Likes

My first attempt at Carbonara . Let the learning curve begin. Cheers .

13 Likes

Nice! What’s the bread on the burger? It looks sort of “light”, which I think I might like.

La Brea Bakery French sandwich rolls. I really like them, they are light but sturdy so you can finish your burger without the bun falling apart.

4 Likes