What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

All part of our “[gradual] transition”. We’re having Indian summer weather.

1 Like

It looks just like my Red Gravenstein.

2 Likes

This is a copy and paste from San Francisco board. Looks like I can’t link like I used to.

We finally returned to Town Hall; one of our favorites. We were all thoroughly carded before we were allowed past the door, and it was the emptiest I’ve ever seen a San Francisco restaurant. Napa was harder to book and seems to be “trending”, maybe because they can offer more outdoor seating.

And it’s Saturday night! We enjoyed it and service was very attentive.

I’m pretty sure I saw Willie Brown there. This is not the first time we’ve seen him there.

Husband LOVES the corn bread. We all enjoyed it so much I forget to take a picture! We did take two to go!

Butter Lettuce Salad
topped with bacon bits, peaches, candied walnuts, radishes, Pt. Reyes blue cheese

BBQ Gulf Shrimp
prepared with Worcestershire beer sauce and served on grilled garlic herb toast

Crispy Pork Belly
served with fermented collard greens, Carolina gold rice grits, jicama, jalapeño bourbon gastrique

Biscuits! Extra $19.00 with country ham.

Double-Double Burger
cheddar, lettuce, marinated tomato, comeback sauce & French fries

Town Hall’s Famous Fried Chicken
served with mashed potatoes, bacon red eye gravy

Brentwood’s ‘Popped Street Corn’ Soup
popped sorghum, achiote chili honey, cotija cheese, cilantro ( too sweet)

Coffee Rubbed Prime Bavette

roasted onion gravy, served with peas and carrots

Seared Halibut cheeks.
Served with corn purée, roasted chanterelle mushrooms, pickled sea bean, and topped with smoked salmon roe and crispy ham.

20 Likes

Sorbet time. Lemon, orange, strawberry and rasberry …

6 Likes

Did you see Yotam Ottolenghi’s white bean and pasta recipe in the New York Times? If you did, what do you think of it?

Sounds like larb is going to make an appearance shortly… :grin:

3 Likes

Truffs with Pasta.

10 Likes

Which one? Tried to find it but I don’t see it.

Here it is: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/dining/pesto-pasta-recipe-weeknight-dinner.html

Can you read it?

Yep.

Looks like pesto pasta with beans instead of potato, right? Why not.

I almost bought some pesto-stuffed tortillini (dried) at TJs today… for a twist…

Speaking of pesto and beans - have you seen this one? Roasting the butter beans sounds good, but I wonder if it works (I’ve not been able to get roasted chickpeas right).

I’ll have to try both. For years i avoided beans because I thought that they gave me digestive difficulties. Now I find that I tolerate them quite well.

Here’s a good take on roasted chickpeas.
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753

1 Like

@sasha @bmorecupcake (it was easier to tag you than where in the conversation it made the most sense to jump in)

When I made pizzas “professionally” I always used a wooden peel to put the pie in the oven and a metal one to take it out. Now I use a single peel made of a composite material. It has a beveled edge so that it can sip under the pie when taking it out.

What are you sprinkling on the peel before you put the dough on? If it sticks getting into the oven,
and you are using flour, you may want to try using corn meal or semolina. I find they work much better. If the dough is at all damp the flour can turn to glue when they meet.

This is similar to the peel I use . I have an older version with a different handle -

4 Likes

What @MsBean says. You might also consider using rice flour as your peel dust. Also known as “bakers’ teflon”.

2 Likes

Eh, I’m over trying to make crispy chickpeas (or other beans). Too much oven time, too little gratification.

A little pangrattato over the top is good for crunch.

5 Likes

That recipe from thekitchn.com, using canned chickpeas, is unbotchable.

By the way, have you had a chance to check out Hay Hay Roasted at 81 Mott Street, where Hoy Wong used to be? The menu looks very similar.

1 Like

Football food (it is SO GOOD to be able to say that since last year’s season was kind of a bust), even though my team didn’t win. Still impressed with rookie QB Mac Jones.

I needed to feed my freezer with easy wintertime meals, so a basic chili con carne recipe from my 1976 BH&G New Cookbook was on the menu. Served on top of elbow noodles (the way my stepfather used to serve it to stretch a meal for his 4 growing sons and eldest daughter) with grated cheddar and sour cream topping the chili.

Side dish was Jiffy cornbread. Because it’s the best boxed cornbread ever, even though I never think it’ll bake up correctly when spread in an 8x8 pan.

And wine.

20210912_191706

19 Likes

Recent dinners: were gifted with some fresh Dungeness crabs because DD1 went fishing on the coast. So good! Pasta in cream sauce, which was excellent. Enough Dungie in the freezer for crab cakes next weekend. Oysters barbecued two different ways, and a couple of steaks, a week apart. My steaks equal about 3-4 meals, H usually two. Fred Flintstone looking proportions for sure! Garden fresh green beans, sooo good.

19 Likes

Well, I think enough time has passed (a week? two?) since I ate mustard salmon four times in a row. (Let’s also share some of the blame with @gracieggg - mostly in the hope that this tag brings her back to WFD - for soliciting salmon ideas and reminding me that it’s been a few days since I ate this.)

So - Bengali Mustard Salmon was for dinner - TA DA! Those are crispy habaneros on top, btw, courtesy TJs - set my mouth on fire!

Accompaniments were red lentil / masoor dal - SO GOOD, if i do say so myself - and I don’t feel bad saying that because I went years hating my own dal. I cooked it with aromatics and cilantro stems, then finished with vaghar / tempering of asafoetida, cumin, shallots, and garlic, and finally cilantro leaves.

I started out with a plan to make palak (spinach) dal so I had sauteed a package of frozen spinach on the side, but the dal was so good I didn’t want to mess up the balance by adding the spinach so I just ate it on the side.

The salmon tonight was a slab - I figured might as well cook it at one go instead of fooling myself that I’m not just going to make it at least one, maybe two more times :rofl: Bad timing on my part, so I ended up eating the proper Bengali way - in courses, dal and veg first, and salmon later when it was done.

A very pleasing Sunday dinner to end a difficult weekend.

17 Likes

All that looks fantastic - lucky you with the crab, and those steaks look fab!

1 Like

The best laid plans o’ mice an’ men etc. What I thawed for dinner was not what I thought so I had to punt. (It’s football season) Leftover roasted pork loin with corn salsa, zucchini fritters with smoky aioli and a salad of broccoli, tomato, bacon, red onion with ranch dressing.

This is for you @gcaggiano, a B&T.

14 Likes