What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Yep! Larb!

17 Likes

Looks great!
(Too bad I’ll be eating that mustard salmon all week, lol.)

2 Likes

espinaca is spinach.

2 Likes

They’re not bad! Biased because they’re one of the very very few places to deliver uptown, but the roasted meats aren’t bad. Cooked dishes, a little less so.

Back from Stinson Beach weekend and i’m exhausted, hungover, and full - in other words, it was a total success!

We didn’t go AS crazy as other times, but we still ate/drank very well. VERY well. TOO well. at least in my case.

a rundown of the food: i made greek chicken wings/drummettes for the grill, and we also grilled chorizo, marinated a piece of steelhead trout in sake, ginger, sesame oil, miso, and brown sugar for the hostess who can’t eat meat, made my Frenchy potato salad and a tomato/basil/garlic/burrata one. I brought the fancy French butter i’m so in love with, made the heavy cream/cambozola dip everyone goes crazy for, brought some beautiful very thinly sliced rosemary ham. Also a bunch of corn on the cob. Friend’s hubby made salmon rillettes topped with butter, and pepper boats - red and yellow bells with garlic, anchovies, and olive oil. they get put under the broiler for a bit until the anchovies kind of melt into the olive oil, and then drizzled with vinegar. To Die For. another friend made ginger bread, another brought a dozen cider donuts and apple fritters, another bought a chocolate cake, i bought Humphrey Slocombe ice cream - for the whole month of Sept., they are giving away a free pint of the Corn Flake flavor if you show your proof of vaccination! So i got that and a salted caramel one. We had cheeses and a ton of bread too. Saturday we went to The Marshall store and ate our fill of raw oysters, as well as smoked, and i don’t know why, but unpictured were oysters Rockefeller, BBQ, and Kirkpatricks (with bacon in a worcestershire sauce), a smoked salmon platter, plus some bought sandwiches (pictured is the fish sandwich, which was fantastic (i had a bite). I also got the ceviche tostadas (waaaaay overpriced - $20 for two tiny tostadas) and we had 4 bottles of bubbly - a pink Touraine and a cava.

Back at home much later, we pretty much just snacked on leftovers from Friday night. and drank ourselves silly. Bubbles, wine, French 75s and Negronis. Detox starts NOW.

Pics are totally out of order.

Back home tonight, BF heated up some of the leftovers for us and made a beet and shallot salad. now time for my disco nap.

(bonus pic of someone’s dog at the Marshall Store; i just loved his underbite.)

Stinson - Negroni
Stinson - French 75 2
Stinson - Prosecco

Stinson - red wine

Uploading: Stinson - Salmon Rillettes.jpg…

Uploading: Stinson - Common Ground Gin.jpg…
Uploading: Stinson - Snacks.jpg…
Uploading: Stinson - French 75.jpg…

Stinson - bubbles
Stinson - Common Ground Gin

Stinson - Salmon Rillettes

21 Likes

You’ve got great friends!

3 Likes

I may’ve said by accident I had trouble getting it off the peel. But I had trouble getting back on. No prob to get it off, and I didn’t use flour or corn. I just stretch the dough onto parchment and then put that on the peel. Pizza and parchment went onto the stone.

Thanks, I do!

I may have missed that it was primarily a getting out of the oven problem. Parchment paper really does help get the pie off. I often did that before I got my peel. I did sometimes have an issue with the parchment burning and ash becoming an extra topping.

The peel I mentioned above still may help with removal as the end is very thin and should easily slip under the crust. In any case, the experimenting can be lots of fun.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I’ll try to participate more. I feel like I do the same grilled rotations in the summer.

Your dinner looks delicious!!!

3 Likes

Wow, tht all looks and sounds so good!

1 Like

So much yes.

1 Like

WOW!!! It all looks amazing. I feel full just looking at the pics.

1 Like

thanks! i’m not getting near the scale anytime soon.

1 Like

I had a Japanese Chin once that had an underbite. I wonder if he had some of that breed in his mix. Where might I find your recipe for the Frenchy potato salad? Merci.

1 Like

oh goodness, they told me the name of the (partial) breed that cute pup was and i was like, really? not a German Shepherd but something as unlikely. Anyway, a real doll.

i think i told someone else here about it recently but we don’t have a repository for recipes, so here it is again, such as it is.

cut potatoes (I don’t peel) - you can use golds or even the little red ones, i’ve also used fingerlings.
boil in salted water
while they’re cooking, put in a large bowl:
extra virgin olive oil
minced thyme and/or rosemary (i usually do only thyme)
minced shallots
s&p
chopped capers (this was a newish addition, i don’t always add them but the add a lot.)
maybe a half tsp. of Dijon mustard (this was a new addition too)
i’ve sometime added minced kalamatas or other olives too.

all to taste. you want to put the potatoes into the olive oil mixture while they’re still hot so they’ll absorb the oil and flavors. you want a good amount of evoo and shallots Toss toss toss until well mixed - the potatoes will get a little fuzzy but that’s ok.
Eat warm, at room, or cold.

9 Likes

Lovely wines and some very wonderful dishes.

Someone wrote “espinas” (fishbones) and I corrected him or her to “espinacas” which is what was the correct word.

1 Like

your reply was “espinicas” which is why i corrected. just a typo on your part.

““Espinas are fish bones” !
“Espinicas are Spinach” … I think this is what you meant to write.”

1 Like

that was a mistake my part. I meant epinacas ( spinach ) con garbanzo and I did reply and apologize for typo.

3 Likes

no one needs to apologize, just trying to keep things accurate!

3 Likes