What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

What did you think of it?

I made this and a few more things from My Kitchen Year a few years ago, but my recollection is that I might have enjoyed the writing more than the recipes (they were good, but nothing made it into rotation).

1 Like

Safe travels!

I’m resisting pressure from friends to go to Hilton Head in Nov… (I’ve said I’d be willing to consider a state that has not legislated against safety measures)

4 Likes

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it is definitely in my rotation, but I didn’t exactly follow the recipe. I mostly looked at it to make sure I hadn’t left out anything major in the way I usually do it, and for the roasting temp and time. I haven’t added lemon before, which I did yesterday as fresh squeezed juice , I used dried, crushed chili :hot_pepper: rather than fresh, sprinkled directly on the chicken, with salt, followed by olive oil, rather than making chili oil, and added some hopped garlic (DIL bought a huge jar! )

2 Likes

Ish. He loved the tortillas and pork. He ate a bit of the pickles and rice. And avoided the beans like the plague :slight_smile: But I did get him to explain a bit (he is pretty scarce with his words) that he doesn’t have anything against beans, but that mex type beans were just everpresent whenever he tried the cuisine and he didn’t want it. And kind of resented it. What can I do? You can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Anyway, I guess I consider it a win that he ate and liked some of it. And I made up for my transgression by making a nectarine marzipan cake for dessert :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had an exhausting day, and thought I was tired enough to skip dinner, so I ate a banana and put my feet up.

Well, that revived me.

So I took out defrosted chicken thighs that needed cooking and decided to poach them Chinese white-cut style.

Scallion-ginger-garlic sauce while rice cooked in the resulting chicken broth.

Sorta Hainanese chicken & rice then? Whatever it was, it was delicious and simple. (Even plain boiled spinach tasted good with the scallion sorcery.)

<Can’t upload pics @naf @sck >

8 Likes

Trying pic in a new post

Nope - same error

yogurt + tartar sauce = inspired!!

1 Like

crabs using the new concord steamer from amazon for the first time
I was to able to convince concord to sell me two extra steaming tiers so, I have 4 now , but 3 tiers was enough to steam 6 dozen crabs. picture showed them being loaded up to steam but forgot to take picture after it was cooked
The SS is really nice and heavy and the handle stayed cool thruout steaming
Now, do not have to use the heavy outdoor unit that needs propane to heat.

22 Likes

Super lazy but tasty dinner: a slice of green olive-hot cherry pepper bakery bread with butter and prosciutto and with black label Cambozola (me neither but it was fabulous) and some slices of slightly overripe but still good local peach. Not pictured: G&T.

21 Likes

I started with this NYT recipe for shrimp and coconut rice as inspo and took my cue from the comments to spice things up: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022459-coconut-rice-with-shrimp-and-corn

(the embed link button in the formatting menu seems to have hidden/changed? Can’t find it @naf )

I made the coconut rice with sauteed shallot, garlic, good chicken broth, and separated coconut milk with some of the cream stirred in. When it was done we stirred in half the remaining coconut cream and 1/4 c. toasted coconut flake. I steeped the naked cobs in the broth before cooking the rice but don’t know if that really did much.

For the corn, I sauteed it with red onion, minced ginger, and butter and set aside. Then I sauteed garlic, scallion, and minced jalapeño in oil and seared the shrimp, which I seasoned well with s&p. Added some butter, Thai mountain sauce, soy sauce, kecap manis, and chili-garlic sauce. Topped the rice with the corn, then the shrimp, and garnished with cilantro, toasted coconut, and lime juice. Made a mess in the kitchen but worth it. Haricots and tomatoes alongside.

20 Likes

Using up what’s in the fridge.

Japchae with mixed mushrooms (trumpet, oyster, cremini) and some leftover Kalbi, plus spinach banchan / sigeumchi-namul.

The noodles are darker than usual because I used the juices from cooking the Kalbi sous vide the other day.

Love japchae!

16 Likes

Pic of last night’s white cut / Hainanese chicken with rice cooked in the poaching liquid and ginger scallion sorcery / condiment.

16 Likes

Third day of fridge stew . My 24 month aged Parma I ordered from Italy along with the pecorino will be here Friday. I already have the dried pasta that I ordered . I have watched so many Italian language cooking videos from the Italia Squista website on you tube . So I’m starting with Cacio e pepe . Then Carbonara . And then ?? CHEERS :wine_glass:

11 Likes

Shrimp cobb salad with honey mustard dressing. Fiero and tonic.

15 Likes

Grilled chicken, broccolini, and an Elderflower Gimlet, because what else on a Wednesday? Over some penne vodka because I needed a lazy carb.

18 Likes

Lunch … Solomillo de Buey at home. (Filet Mignon would be the closest cut of Basque Black Angus).

8 Likes

Last night was beer and rice!

10 Likes

Thursday. Monkfish at restaurant - lunch for 4 … Down by the Old Port …

7 Likes

Good luck with the cacio e pepe. When it turns out well, I think it;s the best of the Roman pasta dishes.

5 Likes

What is Greek monastery sauce?