What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

What @MsBean says. You might also consider using rice flour as your peel dust. Also known as “bakers’ teflon”.

2 Likes

Eh, I’m over trying to make crispy chickpeas (or other beans). Too much oven time, too little gratification.

A little pangrattato over the top is good for crunch.

5 Likes

That recipe from thekitchn.com, using canned chickpeas, is unbotchable.

By the way, have you had a chance to check out Hay Hay Roasted at 81 Mott Street, where Hoy Wong used to be? The menu looks very similar.

1 Like

Football food (it is SO GOOD to be able to say that since last year’s season was kind of a bust), even though my team didn’t win. Still impressed with rookie QB Mac Jones.

I needed to feed my freezer with easy wintertime meals, so a basic chili con carne recipe from my 1976 BH&G New Cookbook was on the menu. Served on top of elbow noodles (the way my stepfather used to serve it to stretch a meal for his 4 growing sons and eldest daughter) with grated cheddar and sour cream topping the chili.

Side dish was Jiffy cornbread. Because it’s the best boxed cornbread ever, even though I never think it’ll bake up correctly when spread in an 8x8 pan.

And wine.

20210912_191706

19 Likes

Recent dinners: were gifted with some fresh Dungeness crabs because DD1 went fishing on the coast. So good! Pasta in cream sauce, which was excellent. Enough Dungie in the freezer for crab cakes next weekend. Oysters barbecued two different ways, and a couple of steaks, a week apart. My steaks equal about 3-4 meals, H usually two. Fred Flintstone looking proportions for sure! Garden fresh green beans, sooo good.

19 Likes

Well, I think enough time has passed (a week? two?) since I ate mustard salmon four times in a row. (Let’s also share some of the blame with @gracieggg - mostly in the hope that this tag brings her back to WFD - for soliciting salmon ideas and reminding me that it’s been a few days since I ate this.)

So - Bengali Mustard Salmon was for dinner - TA DA! Those are crispy habaneros on top, btw, courtesy TJs - set my mouth on fire!

Accompaniments were red lentil / masoor dal - SO GOOD, if i do say so myself - and I don’t feel bad saying that because I went years hating my own dal. I cooked it with aromatics and cilantro stems, then finished with vaghar / tempering of asafoetida, cumin, shallots, and garlic, and finally cilantro leaves.

I started out with a plan to make palak (spinach) dal so I had sauteed a package of frozen spinach on the side, but the dal was so good I didn’t want to mess up the balance by adding the spinach so I just ate it on the side.

The salmon tonight was a slab - I figured might as well cook it at one go instead of fooling myself that I’m not just going to make it at least one, maybe two more times :rofl: Bad timing on my part, so I ended up eating the proper Bengali way - in courses, dal and veg first, and salmon later when it was done.

A very pleasing Sunday dinner to end a difficult weekend.

17 Likes

All that looks fantastic - lucky you with the crab, and those steaks look fab!

1 Like

The best laid plans o’ mice an’ men etc. What I thawed for dinner was not what I thought so I had to punt. (It’s football season) Leftover roasted pork loin with corn salsa, zucchini fritters with smoky aioli and a salad of broccoli, tomato, bacon, red onion with ranch dressing.

This is for you @gcaggiano, a B&T.

14 Likes

Yep! Larb!

17 Likes

Looks great!
(Too bad I’ll be eating that mustard salmon all week, lol.)

2 Likes

espinaca is spinach.

2 Likes

They’re not bad! Biased because they’re one of the very very few places to deliver uptown, but the roasted meats aren’t bad. Cooked dishes, a little less so.

Back from Stinson Beach weekend and i’m exhausted, hungover, and full - in other words, it was a total success!

We didn’t go AS crazy as other times, but we still ate/drank very well. VERY well. TOO well. at least in my case.

a rundown of the food: i made greek chicken wings/drummettes for the grill, and we also grilled chorizo, marinated a piece of steelhead trout in sake, ginger, sesame oil, miso, and brown sugar for the hostess who can’t eat meat, made my Frenchy potato salad and a tomato/basil/garlic/burrata one. I brought the fancy French butter i’m so in love with, made the heavy cream/cambozola dip everyone goes crazy for, brought some beautiful very thinly sliced rosemary ham. Also a bunch of corn on the cob. Friend’s hubby made salmon rillettes topped with butter, and pepper boats - red and yellow bells with garlic, anchovies, and olive oil. they get put under the broiler for a bit until the anchovies kind of melt into the olive oil, and then drizzled with vinegar. To Die For. another friend made ginger bread, another brought a dozen cider donuts and apple fritters, another bought a chocolate cake, i bought Humphrey Slocombe ice cream - for the whole month of Sept., they are giving away a free pint of the Corn Flake flavor if you show your proof of vaccination! So i got that and a salted caramel one. We had cheeses and a ton of bread too. Saturday we went to The Marshall store and ate our fill of raw oysters, as well as smoked, and i don’t know why, but unpictured were oysters Rockefeller, BBQ, and Kirkpatricks (with bacon in a worcestershire sauce), a smoked salmon platter, plus some bought sandwiches (pictured is the fish sandwich, which was fantastic (i had a bite). I also got the ceviche tostadas (waaaaay overpriced - $20 for two tiny tostadas) and we had 4 bottles of bubbly - a pink Touraine and a cava.

Back at home much later, we pretty much just snacked on leftovers from Friday night. and drank ourselves silly. Bubbles, wine, French 75s and Negronis. Detox starts NOW.

Pics are totally out of order.

Back home tonight, BF heated up some of the leftovers for us and made a beet and shallot salad. now time for my disco nap.

(bonus pic of someone’s dog at the Marshall Store; i just loved his underbite.)

Stinson - Negroni
Stinson - French 75 2
Stinson - Prosecco

Stinson - red wine

Uploading: Stinson - Salmon Rillettes.jpg…

Uploading: Stinson - Common Ground Gin.jpg…
Uploading: Stinson - Snacks.jpg…
Uploading: Stinson - French 75.jpg…

Stinson - bubbles
Stinson - Common Ground Gin

Stinson - Salmon Rillettes

21 Likes

You’ve got great friends!

3 Likes

I may’ve said by accident I had trouble getting it off the peel. But I had trouble getting back on. No prob to get it off, and I didn’t use flour or corn. I just stretch the dough onto parchment and then put that on the peel. Pizza and parchment went onto the stone.

Thanks, I do!

I may have missed that it was primarily a getting out of the oven problem. Parchment paper really does help get the pie off. I often did that before I got my peel. I did sometimes have an issue with the parchment burning and ash becoming an extra topping.

The peel I mentioned above still may help with removal as the end is very thin and should easily slip under the crust. In any case, the experimenting can be lots of fun.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I’ll try to participate more. I feel like I do the same grilled rotations in the summer.

Your dinner looks delicious!!!

3 Likes

Wow, tht all looks and sounds so good!

1 Like

So much yes.

1 Like