What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

@Sasha try a metal pizza peel instead of wooden. I had my pizzas slide around, too.

Mom’s recipe for shrimp cakes, asparagus, and roasted potatoes. Old Bay aioli.

To drink: I agree with @BeefeaterRocks that it is time to [gradually] transition from gin/vodka to whiskey for fall. A Boulevardier it was. Bulleit Bourbon, sweet vermouth, Campari. My first one I went by the traditional recipe. My, uh, second was me just eying it up and it was more delightful. I went easy on the Campari, though I love the reddish tint it gives this drink.

20210911_195822

18 Likes

Thank you :blush:
Your poolside meal looked divine.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Yep, it’s after Labor Day so we can’t wear white and it’s time to break out the bourbon & scotch. One of the best things about autumn and winter are hot buttered rum and warm coquitos.

1 Like

Gorgeous day on the coast. Driving back from a short trip to town, there was a wild turkey standing in the middle of the road. She didn’t move so I was getting ready to give her a nudge when her four chicks jumped down the bank and ran across the road and then she moved. I thought turkeys were supposed to be dumb. I am not quite ready to quit G&Ts

Gochujang-Braised Chicken and Crispy Cauli Rice. Blistered shishito peppers. Red cabbage slaw with pickled carrot and turnip.

13 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Drew’s. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that might be interested.

7 Likes

They’re much thinner aren’t they? They’d have to be. I feel bad chucking what I’ve got though…

1 Like

With regards to protein serving sizes, it’s about 5-6 ounces for me at dinner, typically, if meat is a separate component of dinner. In a mixed dish, it’s usually less. Absent a starch, it’s a bit more than that, but also the green type vegetables increase too. I know dietitians/nutritionists typically recommend about 3-4 ounces of lean meat/seafood per serving, or about the size of a deck of cards. Good if you can hold to that amount.

2 Likes

Not fair! I had whiskey tonight because of you and there you are with a G & T! :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

One of the best clam and mussels dish this year . Some bread crumbs from the pan . If anyone can identify the apple from my tree it would be much appreciated. I used a little bit instead of white wine . Super wow . Cheers.

16 Likes

Yes, thinner. With the wooden peel, what I started doing was lift an edge slightly with a metal spatula and then slide under. Eventually I just went with metal, though.

All part of our “[gradual] transition”. We’re having Indian summer weather.

1 Like

It looks just like my Red Gravenstein.

2 Likes

This is a copy and paste from San Francisco board. Looks like I can’t link like I used to.

We finally returned to Town Hall; one of our favorites. We were all thoroughly carded before we were allowed past the door, and it was the emptiest I’ve ever seen a San Francisco restaurant. Napa was harder to book and seems to be “trending”, maybe because they can offer more outdoor seating.

And it’s Saturday night! We enjoyed it and service was very attentive.

I’m pretty sure I saw Willie Brown there. This is not the first time we’ve seen him there.

Husband LOVES the corn bread. We all enjoyed it so much I forget to take a picture! We did take two to go!

Butter Lettuce Salad
topped with bacon bits, peaches, candied walnuts, radishes, Pt. Reyes blue cheese

BBQ Gulf Shrimp
prepared with Worcestershire beer sauce and served on grilled garlic herb toast

Crispy Pork Belly
served with fermented collard greens, Carolina gold rice grits, jicama, jalapeño bourbon gastrique

Biscuits! Extra $19.00 with country ham.

Double-Double Burger
cheddar, lettuce, marinated tomato, comeback sauce & French fries

Town Hall’s Famous Fried Chicken
served with mashed potatoes, bacon red eye gravy

Brentwood’s ‘Popped Street Corn’ Soup
popped sorghum, achiote chili honey, cotija cheese, cilantro ( too sweet)

Coffee Rubbed Prime Bavette

roasted onion gravy, served with peas and carrots

Seared Halibut cheeks.
Served with corn purée, roasted chanterelle mushrooms, pickled sea bean, and topped with smoked salmon roe and crispy ham.

20 Likes

Sorbet time. Lemon, orange, strawberry and rasberry …

6 Likes

Did you see Yotam Ottolenghi’s white bean and pasta recipe in the New York Times? If you did, what do you think of it?

Sounds like larb is going to make an appearance shortly… :grin:

3 Likes

Truffs with Pasta.

10 Likes

Which one? Tried to find it but I don’t see it.

Here it is: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/dining/pesto-pasta-recipe-weeknight-dinner.html

Can you read it?