What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Love the tiny tacos . Mmmm. Well this changes everything.

2 Likes

These look great - I saw that video, too. I love Chef John!!

1 Like

us too!

i had been showing the BF a video on how to make tacos de canasta and then we saw that video.

1 Like

“Sure they may be tinier than regular tacos, but at least they’re harder to make!” LOL

2 Likes

Adorable.

What happens to the rest of the tortilla?

1 Like

well, there isn’t that much left, but you could use it for fried tortilla strips, maybe for chilaquiles, or i would even grind them up and use them in an enchilada sauce. But the BF composted them before i could save them. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I am buying the cooking tweezer off Amazon. Which I was going to use to cook pasta and twirl pasta into that perfect nest .
Now I’m thinking of making those tiny tacos . Worlds smallest bite size at 1 inch . Yep I’ll need tweezers.

4 Likes

Falafel redux. The last time we had it was a few weeks ago when my older son was still at home. But we took him to college last week, and now I’ve been learning to cook for 3 :frowning:
I had enough frozen falafel batter to make the perfect 9 balls. Some of the sides were the same as before. Hummus, pickles, garlic dip. New was a fun beet/garlic/evoo/pom molasses dip as well as a tomato and feta salad. Beets and tomatoes from the garden. All served with some warmed TJ naans. They ran out of pita.

16 Likes

I’ve never made falafel but really need to try as there isn’t any local to me. Do you have a favorite recipe?

And as long as I’m asking for things, can you point me to the beet dip recipe? I have beets coming in today’s CSA box and it sounds and looks delicious.

Thx

1 Like

Absolutely.

Beet dip: https://alexandracooks.com/2020/07/10/raw-beet-dip-with-greek-yogurt/
Another HO mentioned it a while ago and if I remembered who, I would give credit!

Falafel: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/my-favorite-falafel-231755
I love this one - easy and consistent results. Once you make the mix, it freezes beautifully. Having done both, I suggest freezing the entire mix, and making balls after you thaw, rather than freezing balls. They turn slightly back into mush again after thawing.

4 Likes

That’s great, but it just always scared me…
Are those the lanterns with the net things on them? Those made me nervous too. I’m obviously not a camper!

1 Like

@emglow101 We keep a Coleman pump-up in the “earthquake” kit, with propane within arm’s distance. Battery lamps instead of lantern.
BTW, husband offered up one of his industrial tweezers for the kitchen. 12", cheaper probably than chef’s.

2 Likes

hooray for pickapeppa!

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I can’t wait to try them both.

1 Like

I had some left over ingredients from the weekend I couldn’t stand not using so tonight was re-purposing some wonderful colossal crab meat and lobster.

We have; lobster fra’diablo pie - crab meat and bernaise with red onion and ricotta - white pie with fig prosciutto goat cheese and balsamic reduction.

A nice combination!!! (Store bought crust)

21 Likes

My take on Judy Rogers’ prawns in romesco with spinach. I added a thin bed of orzo.
Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 5.34.51 PM

19 Likes

Not much of an appetite so settled on a salad.

Watermelon, heirloom tomatoes, cotija, and basil…topped with sherry vinegar and olive oil. (Thank you to the NYT.)

19 Likes

Tonight we made a sort of fattoush topped with chicken and tahini-yogurt dressing. The veggies were dressed with lemon vinaigrette. Steamed seasoned green beans on the side.

17 Likes

was telling my brother in Canada how I missed my bibingka ( sort of pancake made from rice flour, cheese and topped with grated coconut . I used to bake it with charcoal on bottom and charcoal on top lining it with banana leaves.
Well, I just received 10 of them which he ordered from a caterer in LA 2 days ago .
I ate half of one already as shown in the picture,.
Guess wil have to freeze los of them . Reserved 2 for breakfast. It is yummy even when no grated coconut was sent.
They were a bit out of shape . I do not know how it was packaged bec my son brought it in ,

17 Likes

That’s a very sweet gift!

1 Like