What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

@gcaggiano I found another open bottle.

I blame you.

10 Likes

Don’t blame me! Blame the other guy!

By the way, how is Empress?

2 Likes

Fizzy Lambrusco! We enjoyed some with a takeout Indian meal last week, but it wasn’t quite the right food/wine pairing that we imagined. Also we should have taken the bottle out of the fridge sooner than we did.

Nonetheless, it’s good to try new-to-us things.

3 Likes

It’s good! subtly floral…

2 Likes

Italian

FRIDAYAUGUSTTHREE238247205_10216953933995230_1157111877912758511_n

Lunch in Valencia City close to the Main Central Market. Man in blue shirt is my father in law.

9 Likes

I except partial blame but the ultimate responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of Sir Winnie “Ice-cold gin, and a bow in the direction of France”

4 Likes

Ok, “fresh from the field” corn proselytizers - I give in.

Second ear of corn I bought yesterday, eaten this evening: still delicious, but not even close to the same as yesterday’s flavor.

Thanks for making all future corn less-than.

Hate when this happens, and still, love it, because: who knew (they knew, yes, yes).

That was my appetizer before meeting a friend for a late Thai dinner at my local favorite. One old favorite - pad see eew, and one new try that would absolutely delectable - short rib in Penang curry.

Here are our purple gin and elderflower drinks that tasted like what I always want when I order that combination (but rarely get).

15 Likes

That should be accept.

2 Likes

Camping again. Made hot dogs and beans for yesterday’s lunch and eggs with pink oyster mushrooms for today’s breakfast.

PXL_20210820_141807002

We’re in Charleston for a late lunch/early dinner and drinks. May or may not cook tonight.

Last night we split a massive smoked beef rib with grits and broccolini, she-crab soup, and fried (jarred :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) artichoke hearts.

15 Likes

Gosh you make me feel awful about my junky version last week :rofl:

Do not feel bad. It was reading about your Singapore Noodle that inspired me to cook this. However, I could not find. our post, thought I was dreaming. Now, in tr ling to reply to ou, I must have erased my post.!! Oh Well!! Maybe I can retrieve it. Will try

1 Like

The mods may be able to help - flagging.

Retrieved.

3 Likes

We are big Lambrusco fans. But it has to be bone-dry. It’s the perfect pizza or burger wine, depending on your persuasion.

5 Likes

Hey kids, guess what day it is and what that means?

It’s Friday Friday Friday!

And it means steak tips, baked tater with TPSTOB&SC and asparagii. Although the ST of SC is not quite a ST, as it’s a smaller baked tater.

And wine.

14 Likes

Processed the beet greens from the farmers market the other day. I love the results, but it is a good amount of work. Still, I was surprised when the guy was taken aback that I wanted the greens - at this point I just assumed people shopping at a farmers market were using all the bits?

Anyway. Thought I’d make a galette. Too tired / lazy for pastry. So I blanched and sautéed the greens like Korean spinach banchan (sigeumchi-namul), and blanched the stems and left them for tomorrow - maybe they will make it into a galette after all! (Favorite galette dough anyone?)

Dinner was kimchi fried rice (from the freezer) with the addition of an egg and some chili paste to up the ante, with the beet green “namul.” Nice crust on the rice for a change.

16 Likes

flagging?
I tried to restore it and hit the wrong button. Serves me right for not using my reading glass. Cannot restore it for 22 hours is what it states.

LAAAAAAAAAWD what a week! New job got extremely busy and old job begged me to come back as a consultant, so I have been burning the candle at both ends. This of course is all in addition to my musical activities, which are still limited due to COVID but picking up steam. So, when an Uber Eats 40% off coupon landed in my inbox at 4pm today…I’m pretty sure you know what happened.

Luckily for my waistline, we have a Fresh & Co nearby. Basic salad/sandwich/grain bowl chain with better than average food and a truly addictive avocado chimichurri salad dressing. So, WFD was a big salad with grilled salmon and the aforementioned dressing, plus a cup of their lobster bisque. Cooking will resume tomorrow. :blush: Happy weekend, HOs!

10 Likes

I hit the flag under the post and requested the mods to restore it - which they did.

2 Likes