What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Thanks - now I know what to do!

1 Like

No way! I get the bone and the cap. DH gets the heart. Stock gets anything leftover.

4 Likes

I love picking the bone up off the plate . Using your hands and teeth to get the tastiest bits . Cavemen style. Don’t worry, no one is watching.

7 Likes

Beautiful weather on the coast today. Went to the farmer’s market to replenish my corn supply. Also bought okra and a cantaloupe that is perfuming my kitchen.
Dinner was grilled sockeye salmon and asparagus with sauce gribiche. Lettuce, tomato, avocado and red onion salad with creamy feta dressing. A tall glass of Paloma was the perfect cocktail.

15 Likes

Those who are watching are usual envious!

4 Likes

I was exhausted today, but also well loaded with lovely groceries from two stops.

Dinner was in courses, meaning I cooked, ate, cooked some more, ate some more.

I finally understand what people mean when they wax eloquent about really fresh corn - one of my shop stops today was at a tiny (4-table) farmers market which had visibly fresh corn (the stalks had no time to dry out even). This corn (microwaved in its husk and then buttered) was a revelation. Wow.

Second course was Whole Foods ricotta gnocchi (they’ve got a new-to-me pasta station where you can help yourself to fresh pasta by the pound). I brought back sage from my aunt’s garden this weekend, so crispy sage, brown butter, and grated parmesan were the adornments. Really good.

Tomorrow I will deal with the beet greens (and beets) that drew me to the farmers market in the first place, and the pork chops I couldn’t resist at WF.

17 Likes

That corn looks like perfection. We are now getting it too. Along with homegrown tomatoes coming in our back door that just won’t quit.

5 Likes

Inspired by the meatloaf thread, that’s what was for dinner. Along with coleslaw leftovers (from yard cabbage) and roasted radish, green beans (yard), turnips (yard) and kohlrabi (yard)! Very tasty and low carb which is not something we do much around here. And won’t be tomorrow, as it’s blt night :wink:

19 Likes

Really lovely salad.

Enjoy.

1 Like

@ChristinaM

Great stromboli …

I am a grand fan of Stromboli & Calazone too …
I prepare mine with provolone or
asiago & proscuitto …

We are in Valencia City now … and then off to Castellon (north of Valencia) … Tomorrow we shall head over to one of the oldest Central Markets (1926) and the art deco interiors are amazing … A paradise of veggies and fruits of the region …

Have a lovely summer.

5 Likes

I frequent a farmer’s market where, if you time it right. you get there just as the truck is unloading the corn they just picked. I’ve been known to eat an ear in the car before I even get home to cook it.

10 Likes

Valencia is one of my favorite spots! Hope you enjoyed. We had a kouign-amann there once that was amazing.

2 Likes

Delicious meal! :drooling_face:

1 Like

I made (turkey) meatloaf, too!

Served our with buttermilk chive mashed potatoes someone else made. And they were good.

19 Likes

Looks very tasty … though we prefer beef …

Valencia is a nice city and has grown alot … Some really up and coming new restaurants too.

@ChristinaM

The Kouign Amann, originally from Brittany (Breton) pastry, is actually lovely with an espresso on ice for breakfast !!! My dad, father in law and husband indulged … However, us ladies, opted out for pantomaca; baguette with Evoo, Salt and a tomato salsa …

3 Likes

Alejandra, we have a stunning bakery at the end of our block that features authentic (albeit individual, so kouignettes actually) Kouign Amann. The line usually is 50-100 meters long at the door, so wen it is miraculously not that, my husband will stop and buy himself 4, enjoy one the next morning and freeze three for other days.

4 Likes

That looks like perfection!

What do you add to the turkey? I find it needs a bit more help.

1 Like

From a strictly taste perspective, I agree. We’ve cut back on our beef consumption for ecological and health reasons. The emissions, intensive resources, and deforestation associated with raising cattle are drawbacks.

5 Likes

Thanks! I used egg whites, breadcrumbs (I prefer panko) made into a parade with milk, minced onion (mini chopper), garlic (or not), Worcestershire sauce, grainy mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, and this time, Pickapeppa sauce (which is mostly raisins, vinegar, spices, and tomatoes), salt and pepper. The topping was simply ketchup, a little brown sugar, and Sriracha. I used two packs of 93% lean turkey this time, but next time I’d probably go half/half 93% and 99%. I always fry a small bit of the meatloaf mix to check seasoning before baking.

I think tomato paste is the most important ingredient for umami - got that from Smitten Kitchen’s recipe for poultry meatballs (which is excellent and calls for pancetta/prosciutto).

3 Likes