What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Weird! This should be correct: https://www.cuisine.co.nz/recipe/fish-larb/

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning these. I’ve seen them at our local Spanish Table but haven’t tried them.

1 Like

I use the cobs to make corn stock. My personal favorite use of this is in a corn chowder with seafood or chicken. But I suppose it can be used for other preparations as well. Ooh - come to think of it, sometime this summer I might steep the cobs in some warm cream and then make corn ice cream…

2 Likes

It is. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Thank you! I meant boiled, steamed, or microwaved cobs with the kernels that didn’t get eaten. Is that what you mean? Great ideas! I too save cobs I’ve taken the kernels off for stock.

1 Like

@ccj

Okay. VALENCIA is an autonomous region the the LEVANTE region of the Southeast coast of Spain.
NO RICE IS CALLED VALENCIA.

Bomba is one type of rice grown for paellas and it is quite popular in Alicante and also amongst young people.

Arborio which is from Dehuesa Albufera, in VALENCIA is the most famous and oldest rice produced in Spain and has a larger “grain” than Bomba and is not so “circular”.

Calasparra is a rice denoted to Murcia.

ON A MAP GOING SOUTH: CASTELLÓN, VALENCIA, ALICANTE, MURCIA, ALMERIA.

All are rice producing however, Valencia is the largest producer and the Designation of Origin is DEHUESA ALBUFERA. And this grain dates back to the Moors who came from the Middle East & Northern Africa to invade the western lands of Europe (and Sicilia) …

AL in Spanish denotes = Arabic rooted words or names.

Alhambra : In Granada … This is an ancient Arabic Palace … turned into a Parador Hotel and Museum. (www.parador.es ) … Click English.

1 Like

I don’t think this was meant for me, but nonetheless….

5 Likes

Ditto using corn cobs to make corn stock, and said corn stock going in to chicken and corn chowder. I’ve got about 2 dozen ears of corn shoved into my freezers (1 dozen upstairs, another dozen or so downstairs) that I just need to put into a stockpot with a half an onion and simmer for a couple of hours.

2 Likes

Hmm - I would keep the cob and use it if I had roasted it and then taken the kernels off. Or if I’d cut them off raw. But if I boiled/steamed/miked it, then probably not. I would be concerned that most of the flavor would have leached out already.

1 Like

I know. Then the question always becomes - does it take up more space to store the cobs or store the stock… I only have so much freezer space. And it’s not that it won’t fit. It’s that it becomes a big challenge to retrieve anything out of it without it all falling onto the floor.

3 Likes

Ugh. That’s reminding of a story from the recent Olympics.

1 Like

It was for CCJ however, technically I could NOT post it with just his name. Not sure why.

Rana’s mushroom ravioli to the rescue for a quick dinner tonight. Plus the sauce I made helped me get rid of some bits and bobs in the fridge and freezer.

Couple of thick bacon slices were chopped and sauteed and the resulting crispy bits were removed to drain. The rest of a container of cremini mushrooms were sliced and tossed into the bacon fat to cook, adding a sprinkle of freshly minced thyme.

Mushroom bouillon cube stock was added to the 'shrooms (about 2/3 cup) and reduced, adding more thyme. Poured in the last of some heavy cream (maybe 1/4 cup?), reduced some more on low heat, then added a handful of grated Parm-Reg to help thicken.

Meanwhile the ravs were cooked and spooned out with a spider to drain, added a half a small bag of petite peas to the hot water just to heat. Drained the peas, plated the ravs, sauce, sprinkled with the peas and bacon, and some extra grated Parm-Reg, and I was good to go.

Rana’s ravs are seriously the best store-bought filled pasta available in stupidmarkets.

18 Likes

I agree about Rana’s.

5 Likes

Thanks Barca. Very informative.

1 Like

Just saw your reply for D’artagnan’s duck breast.
No, I do not marinade the breast before cooking.
I use that marinade as dip ( soy sauce, garlic, pepper, vinegar)
I pat it dry, leave it on the counter for around 15 minutes after scoring the skin to bring it to room temperature
I just read that scoring the skin not only means not cutting down to the meat but do not cut into the fat. I am not sure where I read that. I usually jsut make sure I do not cut into thereat.
Also to dry brine that means salt it before searing it.
Planned to cook D’artagnan’s duck breast for dinner today or tomorrow, but just realized I am all out of garlic!!! So, wil try your method as soon as son goes to Costco as I do not like the local grocery store garlic which comes from China.
I buy the 3 lb Christopher ranch peeled garlic from Costco, roast them in the oven with EVOO, then store them in the freezer in small packages. Typically last me 4 weeks but could not find any in the freezers.

3 Likes

Cucumber and mushrooms, ranch
IMG_1164
“Mexican” salad over orzo, sauteed prawns.
IMG_1165

10 Likes

I cursed, spit, and fumed assembling a stromboli with ham, cheddar and provolone cheeses, and maple-mustard sauce with Worcestershire. I overfilled it and the dough was too wet and tore, so I had to patch it all over. Fortunately it held together and tasted very good, even though I burned the top trying to get it golden under the broiler :joy:

Everyone liked it, and the kiddo helped make the dough and “helped” assemble. His definition of helping is asking me to tell stories well I am sweating the exploding stromboli! Bagged salad/slaw with ranch on the side.

19 Likes

Dough is meant to be patched. Lovely job.

Under the weather, so dinner was the pot of chicken adobo made on Sunday, added a can of unsweetened go8ya’s coconut milk, simmered for another 15 minutes served with rice.

I made a quick dish of espinasas con garbanzo using canned chickpeas, baby spinach, EVOO ,precaramelized onions, and my last batch of preroasted garlic with a small dash of smoked Spanish paprika and freshly squeezed lemon

Too tired!

9 Likes