What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

NOT the same.

There are many types of designation of origin rices in Levante.

Arborio is one rice
Bomba is another
Calasparra is another

I can post photographs of the types and their designation of origin.

They are all different in grain size, taste and textures.

2 Likes

And there is no rice called Valenciana.

Arborio - Valencia is the designation of origin

1 Like

Corn tortillas are hard to find in London, UK. I bought some at a silly price, and then wasn’t sure what to do with them, since I’ve been having stomach issues and spicy or tomato-based sauces aren’t good right now. So I made enchiladas suizas, managing to find tomatillo salsa at Sainsbury’s of all places. The tortillas weren’t great despite the price, so I did best to soften them and roll then with chicken and shredded cheese. I put foil on top of the dish to keep things moist in the oven. I made a Mexican rice and a salsa cruda. All in all, it wasn’t bad and I could imagine myself in Southern California where they’d be better. But this is London and I’d done my best with a decent meal even if it looked a bit underwhelming

19 Likes

RICES FOR VARIOUS TYPES OF PAELLAS … Arroz Bomba; Designations: Albufera, Valencia and Alicante.
Arroz Calasparra, Murcia.

CALASPARRAMURCIARISrc-09

2 Likes

This is Arborio Dehuesa, Albufera – The Denomination of Origin, Valencia.
arborioVALENCIAD_NQ_NP_680086-MLM43325368808_082020-O

1 Like
  1. Kindly read what I wrote. I said they were the same - a short grained rice which is typical of paella.

2. No pictures are necessary. There are plenty on the Internet already. :smirk:

I didn’t say there was.

1 Like

REALLY good burgers for dinner tonight. The Costco I frequent recently started carrying Waygu ground beef in a 3-pack of 1 lb packages. I made burgers out of it a couple of weeks ago and found it a bit too rich and bland on its own. Tonight I mixed it with a pound of Costco’s organic ground beef, which is flavorful but IMO a bit too lean for an optimal burger. End result was PERFECTION. I hope Costco doesn’t discontinue it! Simple green salad alongside.

8 Likes

Those look excellent - what a steal!

1 Like

YUM to all of that!

1 Like

BLTs and COTC, mine with a basil mayo i whipped up (first pic) and extra romaine, and the BF’s with --ACK-- mayo AND MUSTARD. Other people’s children…

17 Likes

Some good friends dropped off some freshly caught fluke this morning so of course we had fish for dinner. I was inspired by @tomt’s dinner posted in What’s Cooking? (New Jersey).

Roasted CSA tomatoes and garlic that were delivered today, capers, olives, and a splash of white wine. The fish was lightly poached until just barely done.

IMG_1770

18 Likes

We returned from camping yesterday and had tacos out. Tonight I defrosted Indian leftovers from last week, which were even better after having time to meld.

We didn’t do much cooking while attending a music festival. The few meals we did make were super simple since we couldn’t have a campfire. For one lunch we also made BLTs with lackluster pre-cooked bacon.

Cheeseburger Mac and buttered broccoli
PXL_20210813_215348866.MP

And fancy local Italian sausages with sliced tomatoes and Alfredo-broccoli mac. Notice a theme? Dessert was s’mores, of course. :joy:

I love the photo bomb with the dimpled kiddie elbow.

15 Likes

More larb! Cilantro, lettuce and rice on the side for the folks with sensitive diets and palates.

I made toasted rice from some random short grain rice.

PXL_20210817_023752090

Note to self; 1 pound of ground pork does not make 4 servings in shrinkrap’s family.

20 Likes

I’ve have ordered the bomba rice from Spain . The Matiz and the Rey Del arroz from Valencia . The paprika, Saffron from Iran . You name it . What I have found, watching you tube cooking. Deep into the internet recipes . The flavor seemed way to overpowering. So I ordered the two kinds of paella stocks pictured below . Just to maybe get a feel . Nothing but pure ingredients in these stocks . Just as I thought. Not a overpowering flavor bomb. Suttle flavors that you taste.

10 Likes

Mine either. Unless there was lots of rice, papaya salad and maybe a curry or two.

I make a riff on Thai Basil Chicken with fish quite often but Mr Bean always calls it larb. You’ve inspired me I’m to actually make larb someday.

3 Likes

Beautiful! (And much nicer, and tastier than mine :slight_smile: )

1 Like

That looks like a useful product!

2 Likes

And the corn in the second picture; cut from a cooked cob and maybe some basil? Nice to have ideas for leftover cobs.

1 Like

This larb recipe is written for fish and even includes @Saregama’s lemongrass!

I loved his description of whitefish. I’ll have to dig it up.

I’m taking about the series, not the movie.

I can’t find it, but it’s mentioned here.

“In another episode, after hitting his head and suffering a light concussion, Pierce daydreams about eating whitefish at a Jewish Deli in New Jersey—far away,”

Something about one eye, looking up chastely. I watched that show like an addict.

4 Likes