What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

This is dream stuff! You are a lucky shopper and fabulous cook!

2 Likes

I got a bunch of rau ram (also known as laksa leaf) from a local Asian/Latin grocery recently. I used some for laksa from the freezer for lunch a few days ago and looked for some more recipes that use it. I found a recipe for ga bop - a Vietnamese chicken salad:

and tried making it for dinner along with some congee I made in the rice cooker using the broth from poaching the chicken. Simple to make and came out pretty well.

14 Likes

The largest skillet that can go in is my very old cast iron skillet that is just over 10 inches, and with the handle, is around 15 inches. However, it has to be placed diagonally. Unfortunately, it cannot accommodate my favorite Le Cresuet 12" skillet. I do not normally finish cooking my food in the oven except for frittata and I would have love to have a large skillet for that purpose
8BF116E4-BE4C-4B09-9E2E-D8AE459CC80B
plus it is a nicer presentation.

3 Likes

thanks

A few dinners from the last couple of weeks: chicken picatta over pasta, with broccoli, salmon, cob corn and salad, pork tenderloin with fresh plum chutney, cauliflower rice - not pictured, a salad.

10 Likes

Today was pickling day. I made bread & butter pickles with the Sweet Gwyndolins and did a Japanese-ish pickle on turnips and carrots which was part of my dinner. Asian burger, cole slaw with gochujang mayo on a La Brea sandwich roll, sweet potato fries. More gochujang mayo dip for the fries.

14 Likes

Today was a real scorcher. Hit 104 at one point. My weekly hockey group switches over to baseball in the summer, and yes, we even gave it a go today. It was nice to hit some baseballs around but we only lasted an hour. Just as we wrapped up, the BFs friend invited us to join her at our local pool club. A very refreshing and welcome addition to the day. After some swimming, we were in the mood for burgers.

Topped with sautéed mushrooms, onion, and white American. Side of “Sally Sherman” macaroni salad from the Italian market and breaded onion rings which I threw in the air fryer.

20210812_203753

Was going to take it easy with some chardonnay tonight but after a sip or two was not in the mood. Thankfully my BF was not as picky and finished what I did not. Stoli on the rocks (again) it was.

17 Likes

Looks delicious @BeefeaterRocks; how did you make the burger patty?

Anymore I only buy 50/50 beef pork. A splash of nuoc mam, hoisin sauce, green onion, cilantro, grated ginger and garlic, a little dribble of sesame oil. I think that’s it.

5 Likes

Thanks! Looked like it could have been sliced from an Asian style meatloaf, so was wondering. Sure it was way tasty. Oh, forgot to ask - can you get the beef/pork mix at your regular grocery? I don’t even see it at the specialty places I sometimes go. Haven’t been shopping much since Covid tho…

I get mine at Fred Meyers.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking time to measure and reply. Much appreciated!

Interesting; H will look for it at our FM’s. While he hasn’t been looking for it specifically, he’s never noticed it before.

I Love baking banana, and zucchini bread now that zucchini ( this year we have Italian variety Cucuzza gourd. I can accomodate 3 Emile Henry’s 1.25 Q loaf pan in there , probably can get by with 4 but I only have 3 of them .Dimensions are 9.25" x 4". Tempted to buy a 4th one but I guess, being pricey and not knowing if my son will continue my efforts now that I am getting older, I can always use my tin pans but they are not as easy to clean and also does not bake as evenly as EH’s. I have 6 individual EH’s lasagna dish and I can load 4 and even 5 of them in the oven. They are no longer available as I have had them for the last 30 years. Mine does not have the lip that th renewer ons come in . They come out very clean, no need to use dishwasher. I often load 4 if not 5 in the oven when baking greek tomato and shrimp feta cheese dish which is one of my favorites. If you decide to buy the oven, pay for a second rack. I usually place 2 in the upper rack and then switch them around halfway. Even EH pie dish comes out without burning without use of aluminum foil to cover if baked at 300-325 degrees.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to plant cherry tomatoes the very sweet one but never found the proper seeds. I got some but they were really sour. Your dish looks great.

2 Likes

I first tasted fish cheeks years ago at a restaurant in Winnipeg when I was there for a library conference. All my table mates/colleagues gave me a hard time, but they were delicious! I’m not sure what kind of fish they were, but it could have been cod or some similar flaky white fish. I’ve never seen them again, but I remember them fondly.

2 Likes

that’s a great story!

In China, it has long been traditional to pry the cheek meat from a cooked fish with chopsticks and offer it to the guest of honor or a favored relative.

Check this site

9 Likes

Salmon cheeks are my favorite.

3 Likes

Holy crap, are those literally the fish cheeks? Like oysters on a chicken I’ve heard a lot of people call that the “best part” on a fish but I’ve never seen it specifically sold before. I guess you’d have to go to a fish monger like you did since they’re such a small cut and only two to a fish. That’s awesome.

4 Likes