What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

I made an Indian feast tonight, just because.

Navratan korma, but I had to add coconut cream because it was way too salty as written. I served topped with pan-fried spiced tofu.

And chickpea curry

Plus crispy okra with mustard seed, Tajín, and Chaat masala. Over basmati rice.

17 Likes

I hope everything is okay, but what a delicious meal to comfort yourself with! Be well.

2 Likes

Thank you. Another trip that we decided to cancel. I will survive.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear, although “abundance of caution” and all that. We’re in a bit of tizzy here. My wife and her sister were planning to visit their Dad this weekend for his birthday and stop with a care package for their brother in one direction or the other. Everyone is vaccinated but we decided on PCR tests all around and my BIL is coming up positive. sigh This makes five in that part of the family - ex-wife and three kids. So everyone is in an uproar.

The golden beets look lovely. I’m a big fan.

well, when you make them yourself, let me know if it comes up decent and easy enough to tackle. . I just have too many things on my plate right now. I used to visit a friend in Arlington, shop at nearby Costco and then,would frequent this chinese restaurant that has decent chicken chow fun but I no longer drive that far and of course, way way too many problems with keeping this place from going to ruins. I have not been able to keep up with pruning with all the weeds popping up everywhere. My baby Luna Pomeranians jsut had major bilateral patellar subluxation surgery and had to be crated 100% since March. She is now scheduled for PT, which is underwater treadmill and it is quite expensive with no such treadmill to be purchased to lower into my pool. So, it is exryweek, a trip to PT for at least 10 weeks if not more!

1 Like

Are you Asian by chance? I have been looking for this item 紅皮豆腐干
This is dry red bean curd that comes in a package, like tokwa ( this is the extra extra firm bean curd with thicker skin that I use for spring rolls and other purposes). However, the color is red and it is drier. I love to use this sliced thin, stir fry with Chinese condiments and chives , esp yellow ones as well as with dried anchovies. It seems I cannot find it nowadays. My friend whose husband used to own a Hunan Best ( closed permanently bec of covid) told me he used to order them from a supplier but cannot seem to get it nowadays. If you know about it or see it, can. you take a picture? I no longer travel tp the Asian stores at Va to shop and rely only son who cannot read Chinese characters and often rely on me to take pictures. Googling, it was disappointing as what comes up is five spice tofu or tokwa. Thanks

1 Like

i love that little guy! (gal, whatever!)

is your BF from Spain? what part, if I may ask?

2 Likes

i’m in the internal debate mode myself now. My sister & I have tix to go to Chicago middle of next month. Can’t decide if we should cancel! we’d double-mask on the plane, eat only at places with outdoor seating, no music venues (sob!), stay away from crowds… but i’m still freaking.

Not from Spain but of Spanish descent. Actually, he is Puerto Rican but his ancestry DNA kit revealed more Portuguese and French than Spanish. Go figure!

4 Likes

nice combo!

@Auspicious and @mariacarmen. It is so sad, you start making plans when everything is looking positive and then once again it all goes south. My sister lives in SoCal and I was going to fly down and spend three weeks. We were going to spend a few days each in Las Vegas, DTLA, and San Diego. There’s just too much uncertainty now, it’s not the kind of trip I was hoping for. I’ll save my money for better times, fingers crossed.

7 Likes

hope you got refunded… stupid AA is saying NO refunds/no changes allowed on their site. That’s right under the covid policy. so we’d lose our money. aholes.

Wow, that’s terrible. I just canceled both airlines, Contour and Southwest and got travel vouchers good for 1 year from both.

2 Likes

well, a retraction is necessary. i actually just got off the phone with them and they said they would give us a credit if we cancel. so that’s something.

7 Likes

That is appalling! Granted that companies as well as consumers are making decisions ahead of current realities but companies need to factor in goodwill if they want to see you once we get out of this mess.
Aha!!! SO happy to read of your resolution.

1 Like

yeah, hah - i had been on hold with them for the last 40 minutes when i wrote that! I’m relieved.

Still undecided, but relieved for the option.

Congratulations! Re airlines, it pays to buck the rules. Our first grand-daughter was a month pre-mature, arriving shortly before we were to fly to France. I was able to emotionally connect with an agent who was almost joining me in tears on the phone, and who gave us a year extension. I thought we were going to have to eat the cost.

3 Likes

I will keep an eye out for it!

Another in my seemingly endless series of low effort dinners. This one was much better than I expected! A salad of very peppery arugula, cherry tomatoes and avocado topped with cod cheeks in brown butter, dry vermouth, lemon juice and capers - which became the salad dressing. I’d never made or eaten cod cheeks before but the woman ahead of me at the fish market this morning bought 4 pounds (!) of them so I asked her about them. She told me that they are delicious and rare to see and I should buy them whenever I see them. Glad I followed her advice because they were fabulous!!

16 Likes

I like your style of low-effort dinners. Never had the opportunity to buy and prepare cod cheeks at home. Your dish does look fabulous!

4 Likes