One eye turned chastely
toward its plate.

The other staring unconcerned
at its consumer: Me,
Benjamin Franklin Pierce, M.D.

“Mental Deficient.”"

5 Likes

love it! i love him so much…
if you’re interested, he has a wonderful podcast, Clear & Vivid. it’s really great.
http://www.alanalda.com/

2 Likes

so did i!

1 Like

The smoke/haze went away this afternoon, for good I hope.
Dinner was pork tenderloin, rolled in minced fennel seed, rosemary and garlic and then wrapped in bacon. Seared in cast iron and then roasted with a splash of chicken broth. Sides were asparagus with butter and aleppo pepper, mixed greens salad, tomato, cucumber, radish, green onion with o&v dressing.

16 Likes

“The smoke haze went away this afternoon.” I’m still waiting . I feel like I’m living in a smoke house
I’m ready to hang some sausages outside.

5 Likes

“The smoke/haze went away this afternoon, for good I hope.”

Let’s be real guys; it’s only mid August.

I’m thinking I’ll be here.

1 Like

Thank you. I highly doubt it was better, just different. I intended for it to be a little closer to yours but I thought I cold remember it without looking again (which I couldn’t) and no one wanted pasta.

The friends (actually father and daughter) are great fishers. Mr Bean fishes with them as often as possible. They usually hit up the Axel Carlson Reef.

1 Like

Thanks! The recipe you linked is actually for IP Braised Beef Brisket which also sounds delicious.

Lucky you! Looks spectacularly good!

2 Likes

Picnic coolers ? Need ice …

Sorry to hear … Dilema !!!

Thank you, but that was from last year. It hasn’t happened yet this year, but we are getting warnings that there may be a planned outage because of fire risk.

Oh my.

Times are quite challenging worldwide.

Corporations and Politicians are not listening to “Mother Nature” … and the destruction that has taken place is truly heart breaking.

Hope all goes well …

4 Likes

Thanks. Having fresh, local ingredients really helps.

1 Like

Truth!

2 Likes

Weird! This should be correct: https://www.cuisine.co.nz/recipe/fish-larb/

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning these. I’ve seen them at our local Spanish Table but haven’t tried them.

1 Like

I use the cobs to make corn stock. My personal favorite use of this is in a corn chowder with seafood or chicken. But I suppose it can be used for other preparations as well. Ooh - come to think of it, sometime this summer I might steep the cobs in some warm cream and then make corn ice cream…

2 Likes

It is. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Thank you! I meant boiled, steamed, or microwaved cobs with the kernels that didn’t get eaten. Is that what you mean? Great ideas! I too save cobs I’ve taken the kernels off for stock.

1 Like

@ccj

Okay. VALENCIA is an autonomous region the the LEVANTE region of the Southeast coast of Spain.
NO RICE IS CALLED VALENCIA.

Bomba is one type of rice grown for paellas and it is quite popular in Alicante and also amongst young people.

Arborio which is from Dehuesa Albufera, in VALENCIA is the most famous and oldest rice produced in Spain and has a larger “grain” than Bomba and is not so “circular”.

Calasparra is a rice denoted to Murcia.

ON A MAP GOING SOUTH: CASTELLÓN, VALENCIA, ALICANTE, MURCIA, ALMERIA.

All are rice producing however, Valencia is the largest producer and the Designation of Origin is DEHUESA ALBUFERA. And this grain dates back to the Moors who came from the Middle East & Northern Africa to invade the western lands of Europe (and Sicilia) …

AL in Spanish denotes = Arabic rooted words or names.

Alhambra : In Granada … This is an ancient Arabic Palace … turned into a Parador Hotel and Museum. (www.parador.es ) … Click English.

1 Like