What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Always inspired by you, @ccj. Oh and now our dog is going to get salmon skin when I cook salmon in the future. She thanks you in advance. :grinning:

4 Likes

Wow, and what lovely work! A plate with different tastes is my favorite kind of eating.

3 Likes

That does look like quite a bit of work but also very delicious!!

2 Likes

It’s lovely and I adore biscuits. You can churn them out faster, but if you have the ingredients for those, you have the ingredients for bread! Do you make bread at home? I find that a focaccia is the easiest of them, takes no more than a few hours start to finish, and would probably make a quite nice blt.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! (Including the bowl)

1 Like

You read my mind! Focaccia is my very favorite bread to bake. Yesterday I wanted something quicker.

Usually I have a couple of slabs of focaccia stashed in the freezer. Now I don’t because we are trying to eat less bread this summer. Here’s a previous post about a half sea salt, half everything bagel seasoning focaccia that I like to make.

1 Like

Some plates of what the gang had eaten last night … I keep it very light at night and also do not eat red meat very often … Sort of a criss cross of Spanish Mediterranean and Greek …

9 Likes

Just so you know, the only seasoning I used on the duck breast was salt and pepper after scoring it. The side condiment is up to you - you can have the duck naked or sauced. I love this Plum Ketchup and always have small 1/2 cup containers in my freezer throughout the year for use on duck or meatloaf. You can “ginger it up” as much as you like. I always add WAY more ginger than called for (oh, and I use black plums).

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/248318/plum-ketchup/

4 Likes

When I said, Spanish Mediterranean Greek, I was the one that had the Greek Mezze - Salad. And I could not locate the photograph. However, we have the photo now.
greekTARAMOSALATATUESDAY234718103_4184385474931295_946750561071336743_n

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ll stick to salt and pepper.

1 Like

We have some shrimp, chicken and sausage with broccoli rabe and linguine. Finished in a garlic and white wine broth, delicious!!

14 Likes

Late, low effort but tasty dinner. Smoked pulled pork from my favorite bbq place reheated with some very good tomatillo salsa for smoky, porky, tender and delicious faux pork salsa verde (would have made great tacos if I had more energy) and a salad of FM cherry tomatoes and avocado with lemon juice, EVOO and flake sea salt. And a G&T.

10 Likes

Reminded me that I have not made Mexican shrimp cocktail for a while., so here is dinner with left over HT’s fried chicken.
Here is my recipe if interested

1.25 pound chilled cooked 16/20 Argentina shrimp - peeled, deveined, and tails removed
tomatoes, different kind from garden, chopped
1.5 cucumber, seeded, finely chopped
2 stalks celery heart ,finely chopped
2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons le guerandais sea salt ( only if Bloody Mary mix is not added as BM is salty )
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 cups chilled V8 spicy juice
1 cup clam juice
1 /2 cup chilled Bloody Mary mix ( I was out of Bloody Mary mix so I wanted to add tequila but my son ibjected
1/2- 1 bunch fresh cilantro - stems discarded and leaves chopped ( will does not like cilantro otherwise 1 bunch)
Tabasco sauce to taste (we love spicy food)
2 avocado, NS as to Florida or Californias avocados - peeled, pitted, and chopped

I usually roast my shrimp shells then add it to water and bring it to a boil, then simmer. nowadays, I even add all the odds and ends, peels from my vegetable.

Put the shells in water bring to a boil, then strain the shell stock into a separate pot and cook the shrimp in that liquid for 2-3 min then chill the shrimp

Chop vegetables cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers.celery Cilantro, Then mix it with shrimp, lime juice, tabasco, sea salt ( if no bloody mary mix added) and chill. The diced vegetable part of the cocktail is pretty forgiving; a little more of something and less of something else shouldn’t affect it that much.

Mix clam juice, ( I am starting with 1 cup), I cup of Clam juice (and 1/2 cup Bloody Mary mix. which I did not use today)
Mix together everything, leave chilled and serve with freshly chopped avocado when ready to serve
Sprinkle le guerendais sal de mar lightly
It is like gazpacho soup with shrimp
Taste good and healthy especial on a hot summer day
![07E658D4-7460-4672-BC4F-14F2241C6CCD|700x525](upload://7lp

6FCCC2B8-DA7B-4EF8-ABEE-605347BC7E82_1_105_c

Mi3vsd5dbrdsUJfS0aemrh4.jpeg)

17 Likes

the other thing they crave is smoked sardines in evoo from Polar with Carr’s cheese melt crackers. OH, they love that as appetizer, between meals. Unfortunately, Costco no longer carries those crackers. I found out from Carr that they are made in Amsterdam for them. it is still available at Amazon but pricey.
romo one dog love to another, I am very happy to tell you that my Luna had recent bilateral patellar subluxation surgery and is recuperating from that. This was the verdict today although follow up from the radiologist two Thursdays ago was that the left knee is still subluxated which made me very stressful. However , the surgeon returned from vacation today and told me it is in place. However, she needs PT, specifically underwater treadmill to strengthen her extensor tendons So, I have signed up for 10- 30 minute sessions and she wil be fitted with smaller toe grips pm Thursday as she tends to slide on my floor which is tiled. It. had been very stressful 7 months for us but this is happy happy news forth of us. This is her 7th birthday party, cupcake made of liver and smoked salmon.

13 Likes

Super simple supper of prawns and homemade cocktail sauce. Yard chard with guanciale lardons to fill the plate.

Add images here

16 Likes

Tuesday 'tini’s after a busy day for the BF and I. He’s turning into a martini drinker. He’s a good man. Gin for him, vodka for me? What’s going on??? (Bombay and Stoli, respectively. His extra dirty)

Drinks would have been outside, except this rolled in:

We went to Fort Hancock on Sandy Hook (NJ) specifically to see the storm action. Crazy stuff!

Dinner was chicken and mixed vegetables stir fry and frozen dumplings in the air fryer.

19 Likes

Beautiful presentation!

2 Likes

Com tam - broken rice plate. Only with non broken rice. Intact rice plate. Pickled daikon and carrot, fried egg, marinated broiled pork shoulder, tomato, cucumber. With fried scallion and nuoc cham for dipping.

17 Likes

I made red beans and rice from a box and added onion, local green bell pepper and okra, garden zucchini, beef kielbasa, and Gulf shrimp.

19 Likes

After cutting up the NOT-mini watermelon I had ordered for my building folks (what a perfect day for watermelon!) I ate more than a little too.

So, dinner was delayed.

I saw Singapore noodles somewhere (was it here?) in the past week and it stuck in my mind. But I am out of curry powder. Lightbulb moment - I own every ingredient in curry powder!

Sliced a hot dog (oh yeah! Buns are done but not the franks!) into skinny strips and browned to stand in for pork. Plump shrimp cut into bite-size pieces. Onion, scallions, and a long pepper.

Sautéed spinach eaten separately.

Made way too much, because dry rice vermicelli is among the hardest things to separate and portion!

19 Likes