What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

IBERIAN SAUSAGE & IBERIAN CHORIZO ON SAFFRON YELLOW RICE. IT IS NOT A PAELLA … JUST A RICE WITH ASSORTED VEGETABLES. Using up some sausages and chorizos we had … Lunch … Rained today …

15 Likes

A great combination: balsamic marinated chicken, grilled asparagus, and penne vodka.

Prior to that: How fast drinks outside became drinks INSIDE. Big storm rolled in! Thunder, lightning, and rain epic in scope.

19 Likes

DH made cold-smoked pork chops seared with sage, and Swiss chard with peaches (I dunno, either). I made creamy cole slaw. Everyone ate and was happy. Turns out the kiddo likes cole slaw, ish. He also had buttered corn, a tortilla with almond butter, and applesauce.

16 Likes

Peruvian-style sausages (so said the package), ugly as hell pesto potatoes (hate that the pesto darkens with the heat) but still delish, with chopped capers, and fresh COTC with TPSTOB.

15 Likes

I was under the weather all day, but a solid nap revived me (also, some medicine).

The biryani from the other night had me craving my mom’s biryani. So I decided to make it, but using her shortcuts (the ones she takes when I don’t yell beforehand that I want PROPER biryani - NO SHORTCUTS! Yes, I’m a brat. She loves it… once in a while :joy:).

So it was remarkably quick (for biryani), but totally hit the spot. And even though I only used one (giant) chicken thigh, I’ve got some leftover for tomorrow - YAY!

Some onion raita and roasted papad on the side of course.

14 Likes

Agree . Cooked pesto. Ick

well, i just tossed the cooked potatoes in it, i didn’t necessarily cook it. but yeah, ick. tho still completely delish.

1 Like

ooh, can you please share the recipe for your mom’s shortcut biryani?? i want to make it with lamb… thanks!

1 Like

Sorry I miss read your post . I’m sure it was delicious.

2 Likes

A Pizza Tasting on a terrace …

12 Likes

Take your regular recipe. Pressure cook the meat. Microwave the rice while that’s happening. Microwave-fry the onions. Layer in a glass bowl and finish in the microwave. Ta-da!

(I didn’t want to dirty another bowl, so I finished it in the same baby PC I cooked the meat in, without the weight - took slightly longer than the microwave would have.)

8 Likes

Back from my partner’s grandmother’s 90th (!) birthday in IL with four dozen farm fresh eggs and not much in the fridge, so…fried rice! Leftover rice that had been steamed with Chinese bacon from mow lee shing Kee in SF (amazing Chinese cured meats), peas, eggs, onion, ginger, garlic, galangal and lemongrass powders, soy, chili, and lime. A surprise in every bite!

17 Likes

If I’m not making pizza at home and going out to eat, this is exactly what it should look like! Wow!

3 Likes

Have you ever experimented to see if people can tell the difference, traditional method vs Express method?

The onions always look overly dark in pictures. Even if the onions are overdone, they still work fine in biryani. I wonder why.

ohhhh… ok, thanks! i don’t have a regular recipe, but i’ll find one.

1 Like

oh i didn’t think you’d misread it! cooking it = icky is a valid point!

@bmorecupcake

They are Italians who came to Barcelona to participate in a Pizza Tasting for a new Trattoria in Barcelona.

Here are some more Pizza samples …

10 Likes

I don’t think it would be (if carefully done), other than to a very sharp palate. But in my immediate family we have two adults who qualify - and one kid too… That said, we all enjoy trying to see what we can sneak past!

If one was cooking biryani for a crowd, the shortcuts wouldn’t work for the larger quantities of meat and rice.

Re onions - there’s such a fine visual line between fried properly and burnt - but you can always taste when they’re on the wrong side of that line. (It’s easier when they’re deep fried, but the microwave is trickier.)

3 Likes

Here are two good ones - Madhur Jaffrey and Maunika Gowardhan. (Skip all the dry fruit nonsense in the former - raisins, nuts, etc.)

2 Likes

Today seemed like the perfect day - 90+ and humid - to have a big salad for dinner. I couldn’t decide what direction to go in so I ended up making three easy salads: 1) Pasta with marinated tomatoes, pesto and fresh mozzarella; 2) Tuna with capers, shallots, olives, mayo and extra vinegar; and 3) A simple green salad with roasted red peppers. I ended mashing them up together.

21 Likes