What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

kaeng khiao wan. Or
Thai green curry, with mussels, red bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, and squash.

Best we ever made.

17 Likes

Had a craving, but needed something fast. NYT recipe for the IP - tender pulled pork in an hour. Though I do think the meat just didn’t infuse with as much flavor from my rub as it would have if I’d done it low & slow in the oven. But homemade BBQ sauce helped a lot. Pickled jalapenos on mine, and Asian-y slaw for both. and yes, more COTC CUZ IT’S SUMMER! No matter what our cold/gray San Francisco weather thinks it’s doing.

17 Likes

Dinner was Korean? tacos. I had some stubs of leftover pork tenderloin in the freezer that I simmered in some stock and then shredded, added a little more stock and mother in law’s gochujang. Served on flour tortillas with radish kimchi, secret sauce and green onions. Cucumber, radish and onion salad.

17 Likes

Gorgeous. I’m here in the 90 plus heat of mt Shasta. Shorts , no shoes , no shirt at my house . Fans blowing. Cold drinks . I still dont miss the fog . Maybe someday. I was raised in it . Great meal Maria.

5 Likes

^ Same. I can’t get that kind of pizza crust to happen at home. I’m delighted when I can find it out at a restaurant.

2 Likes

Started my new 100% remote job this week! So far, so good - coworkers seem very cool and I’m enjoying what work there has been so far. I purposely stocked the house with easy things in case I was too overwhelmed to cook, but they seem to be easing me in :D. Dinner last night was a quick Aloo Gobi with chicken instead of potatoes. Not super pretty but very tasty!

9 Likes

Do you think leftover roast leg of lamb could be repurposed in this?

thank you!

see, i’m very picky. i dislike too much heat, too. it’s why i don’t travel almost anywhere in the summer. give me nice, low-to-mid-70s, sunny days, with rain in the winter, and i’d be happy as a clam. i grew up in L.A. with real summers, and while I don’t hate the fog, it’s still hard to get used to June gloom all summer long.

2 Likes

Lovely tuna - pasta salad …

9 Likes

7 Likes

Last night’s dinner courtesy leftovers - Basi (“stale”) Biryani. The flavors settle in the next day though the aroma of saffron and kewra have evaporated - a different experience than day 1, but still delicious.

I fried up some papad alongside.

Groceries soon!

12 Likes

Wow! What do you think made this version so good? Always up for a great green curry recipe…

1 Like

Yes - as an approximation, but the lamb won’t be flavored the way it would if it was marinated and cooked with the spices.

I make turkey curry after thanksgiving, and it’s good - but a different dish than chicken curry from scratch.

So if you have leftover lamb - go for it! Some biryani is always better than no biryani :joy:

7 Likes

Thanks! I ended up making a cross between the second biryani you linked to and the lamb biryani in Persiana by Sabrina Ghayour. I used roasted lamb in place of the marinated/braised and omitted the yogurt. I also added a ton of sauteed Swiss chard because it pairs so nicely with lamb and the garden overfloweth. Topped with pistachios. Vietnamese fried shallots subbed for the onion and I’m not even sorry because it was GOOD. DH was scraping out the pot.:grin:

20 Likes

Thank you

Do not let the perfect biryani be the enemy of the good biryani. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

I’ll be cutting the fat off this massive rib chop . Slowly rendering the fat . Then pan sauteing the pork chop . I scored 7 1/2 pounds for a little over 17 dollars.

13 Likes

Now that’s a great deal. And looks delicious.

I have the connection. :wink:

1 Like