What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Good luck!

OH! That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

1 Like

TheCookie !

2 Likes

Some recent meals:

Grilled cheeseburgers on challah rolls with onion rings. not pictured - grilled pineapple and corn on the cob. Followed by Azo Family Chocolate Cake (a superb NYT Cooking recipe) for a very fudgey almost flourless cake, served with whipped cream and berries. We dug in too quickly for me to get a pic.

Last night was chicken tagine with chickpeas, new potatoes over roasted garlic couscous with raisins, and roasted crispy broccoli on the side.

14 Likes

Fantastic ideas!

1 Like

@Auspicious! That. Is. A. Lot! Keep your sense of humor up!

An open-air Summertime condo association meeting tonight. While a gorgeous night out, the usual suspects showed up to nitpick about stuff from “when I was on the board…” :::Sigh:::

I had brined a big-ass bone-in pork chop all day in apple cider, a blend of black, white, green and pink peppercorns, salt, dried thyme and rosemary. A quick grill on the grill pan, then into the toaster oven to finish. A drizzle of cider syrup my Mom gave me many years ago on top of slices of the pork, which were on top of buttered leftover and reheated Basmati rice, with broccoli alongside.

Not the greatest effort, but not bad. I went with wine. Because condo association meeting. :flushed:

15 Likes

We made cheeseburgers on toasted potato buns, CSA green beans sauteed in the drippings, and dilled cucumber salad. I attempted baked beans in the IP but they took way too long to soften due to the tomato sauce.

14 Likes

Couldn’t bear to eat the chicken and rice again - even though it’s tasty! So that’s tomorrow’s dinner.

Instead I cooked the Malai kabab-marinated chicken legs, stovetop though, because I thought that would be faster than the oven.

The last of the garlic naan with that, leftover sautéed spinach, and quick-pickled onions.

13 Likes

I ordered and enjoyed a rack of BBQ spare ribs from my Chef friend. Below is a half rack. I’ll have the other half tomorrow.

10 Likes

Bun thit nuong

With perilla leaves and Thai basil from a recent h mart run, rice noodles, mint, cilantro, cucumber, lettuce, pickled daikon and carrot, scallions in oil, peanuts, broiled marinated pork, and a side of prepared fish sauce/nuoc cham.

18 Likes

Lovin’ your Vietnamese & Thai dishes!

3 Likes

One of my favorite dishes - I wouldn’t have thought of adding perilla leaves (one of my favorite green things ever but I’ve only eaten it in Korean dishes). Thanks for the inspiration.

2 Likes

I was president of a condo association from '83 - '89. During a period with a flood of owners and renters asking for new rules I set up a committee chaired by the covenants committee chair (me as ex-officio member) to do a top to bottom review of the rules. We ended up with a covenants document about half the length of what we started. grin

One of the life lessons I learned from that whole experience is that in general people are more defensive about their pets than their children.

Dinner last night was a new-to-us Mexican place. We both had chicken dishes. Both were disappointing. Upside - doing the dishes was throwing out the clamshells and washing flatware.

Still dealing with car and insurance issues. Pandemic shortfalls in rental inventory means no rental car for a week or so. Painters are making good progress and a reasonable chance of finishing Friday. Paint crew like us (we moved more stuff than they are used to and we have a food treat for them each morning). Really hoping to put the house back together this weekend. Please cross your fingers for us.

Family conference call yesterday and the four in the car are all doing well. Mostly down to seat belt bruises. We were lucky. Letter in work to VW thanking their engineers for doing a good job on crush zones. Looking at new cars, way too many are built to have the engine stop when you come to a stop. I’m just not happy with that - FMEA.

9 Likes

Dinner out last night at a nice spot overlooking the water. Place was packed. Felt good to be part of a crowd again. Got drinks at the bar while we waited for a table.

Shared lobster stuffed avocado for appetizer.

I had crab cake sandwich.

Friend had fried flounder.

The view:

14 Likes

Would you be interested in an in-home chef gig? Can offer room and board in exchange. :wink:

3 Likes

We’re going to need a list for job offers and adoptions.

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

You should be able to disable that feature. All the cars we test drove when car shopping 2 years ago (also rear ended) had a menu option to disable it.

1 Like

Borne is a neighbourhood in Barcelona.

It resembles Soho - Manhattan in the 1980s - 1990s …

We are in Barcelona …