What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

All our meal planning for this week as the house is being painted is reset. My wife, her sister, and our two nieces were on their way to see the giant pandas at the National Zoo yesterday and got rear-ended. Everyone is okay. We spent some time combing glass out of our nieces long hair and our older niece has some bruising on her back. The car is totaled - they used a crane to lift it onto a flatbed. My next few days will be dominated by insurance companies, dealing with pandemic rental cars, and car shopping. Chip shortages have me worried. This is the first accident my wife has ever been in and she was driving. She doesn’t want to drive for a while. On the other hand the all four girls desparately want to see the pandas so I’ll be working the phones with the Smithsonian to get new tickets. Meals are going to be ad hoc until the painters are done and we get the house back in order.

Even Emma the Cat is traumatized although I think that’s from the painters, not the car accident she was not in. My wife is her person though so Emma may be picking up on her distress.

2 Likes

Probably! Thanks for the correction. Related: I also confuse Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Phoebe Bridgers.

2 Likes

That’s a lot. I’m sorry! And what timing.

1 Like

Thank you. Kind. Yes, the timing is inauspicious.

Not looking forward to car shopping. We’re in a reset there also - safety has moved from “of course” to a priority and the late Passat, which we were going to keep is now the Thunderbird we were going to sell and I have no idea were we will end up for our primary car.

2 Likes

That is a lot. Glad everyone is mostly okay. Good luck with all the administrative work!

1 Like

All our best wishes to you and your family.

Very sorry to hear about the accident.

1 Like

Super original chocolate tart and cocktails …

1 Like

You all dined in BIG style - congrats to all!

4 Likes

OMGoodness, so glad to hear everyone is (mostly!) OK. It’s never fun being in an accident - everyone will be pretty sore today and tomorrow. You’ve got a lot on your hands right now - I’d say takeout might be the way to go for a couple of meals.

4 Likes

Yikes, that is terrible. I hope that everyone takes things slow, gives themselves a lot of grace, and by all means give yourselves the latitude to lean on takeout meals (as LindaWhit mentions).

Sending good thoughts to you and your fam.

4 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit & @Barca! :relaxed:

1 Like

Gorgeous.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! So glad injuries weren’t more serious! I hope you’re successful in getting the panda viewing back on… and that your wife recovers from the trauma. Kitty too!

3 Likes

Congrats on all the good news, and all the meat!

1 Like

that is a fabulous looking banh mi…

1 Like

Honkman!

1 Like

Oh man! We went thru something similar. The expense that year was A LOT. But! You will be SOOO happy with your new kitchen that the pain will go away. Hang in there!

P.S. If you feel like it post a pic when it’s done. :wink:

2 Likes

Borne, the Soho of Manhattan before Covid … Sichuan

9 Likes

This is at a restaurant in Soho? What is the name of it? (There is no Borne Restaurant, that I can find.)

She is referring to El Born, a neighborhood in Barcelona. I think she meant to say it’s considered “The SoHo of Barcelona.” It’s one of my absolute favorite neighborhoods there - we spent most of our time there on our trip in 2019.

3 Likes