What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Chopped cheese sandwich but with Impossible burger

15 Likes

I may have mentioned before that my wife is CEO of her organization. In addition to my own small business I am her IT guy–everything from CIO to help desk. Her home office is immediately above my lab. I can tell from the sound of her desk chair rolling back if I’m the help desk at the moment.

Last week I was CIO for a bit as we recapitalized our phone system.

My wife and I differ. She prefers to the point of insisting on a separate salad. I use one plate–habit of reducing dishes to clean.

On nights she cooks there is usually more food than I want to eat so I end up eating the salad for breakfast anyway.

Shaved Brussel sprouts are a house favorite. Yours look lovely.

3 Likes

I love that you wrapped your sandwich.

6 Likes

Thank you!

Ummm, no. LOL I think I picked up that phrasing from Harters, although I’ve probably used it incorrectly.

2 Likes

I’m sure I’ll be corrected if wrong, but I think that word means “bothered,” as in “I can’t be arsed to proofread my texts.” I learned this from watching Emma Thompson in Fleabag.

4 Likes

Dinner last night was a Tex Mex/SW Salad, constructed of leftover turkey taco meat, radish, corn off the cob, lettuce, cuke, onion, purple cabbage, Cara Cara orange, and black beans. Oh avocado too. Quite tasty!

17 Likes

Then I guess I used it properly as I wasn’t in the mood to cook anything…just phrased it awkwardly. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! But only if I’m right. If not, then I’m sorry.

3 Likes

I made pulled chicken tacos, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash “noodles” with chili lime seasoning, and buttered sugar snaps with mint, cilantro, and basil. Pocky for dessert.

13 Likes

you are correct!

1 Like

Mexi chicken soup, with leftover chicken thighs from the other night, and freezer chicken broth, sauteed onions and Fresno chilies, a shit-ton of parsley & cilantro, a couple packets of Sazon, potatoes, bay leaves, and oregano. Fried tortilla strips, lime, and avocado for garnish. Super simples, and much better than it had any right to be.

mexi-chicken soup

13 Likes

Oh, good.

HOWEVER, did you mean Kristin Scott Thomas in Fleabag? I don’t think Emma Thompson was in that show…?

Dinner on the deck tonight: clam sauce marinara over whole wheat fettuccine, green beans (but not from the garden just yet - damn!). Hit the spot & loving these long summer nights. Hope all the HO’s have been able to enjoy some good time outside.

11 Likes

Chicken Parmigiana
This came out pretty good, I had home canned tomatoes and homemade sourdough breadcrumbs for the breading

18 Likes

That looks delectable

1 Like

Vietnamese meatball sub aka banh mi xiu mai using some leftover xiu mai from the freezer and some pickled daikon and carrot.

18 Likes

Leftover chicken and rice from the other night, reimagines as chicken pulao with accompaniments of onion raita, tomato pickle, and papad.

Earlier, my first slice since I got back from my favorite pizza shop down the street - remarkable restraint that it took a week :joy:

14 Likes

My crew is healthy, vaccinated & finally able to be together! Just in time to celebrate holidays, milestones & bon voyages. My youngest finished his medical residency, :partying_face: niece got her masters, cousin got her first post-graduation job interning in NYC :statue_of_liberty: and Juneteenth is a national holiday! Dad’s definitely had a reason to celebrate… and exhale!

Catered Bludso’s BBQ & Fixins

I :heart: NY…

There was Sangria.

Father’s Day, Palomas & Brazilian BBQ at H&H

It was a very meaty weekend. Chicken, fish & vegetables is on this week’s menus…

Stuffed Bell Peppers - Ground Chicken, Tomato Sauce, Wild Purple Rice, Brown Basmati Rice, Drizzle of Olive Oil, Cheddar, Robusto & Burrata Cheeses

Stuffed, Battered & Fried Zucchini Blossoms

I stuffed them with the bell pepper filling mixed with creamy herb cheese and wasn’t sure if it would work. It did. Yummy!

2019 Gard Rouge “Cru-Elles”

This Cinsault, Grenache Blend hit my wine sweet spot. Terrific aroma, juicy, fruity flavors, but not bold or jammy with the cinsault adding a soft, smoothness. :heart:

Happy Eating & Drinking!

19 Likes