What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Dam good meal right there!! Very nicely done!

1 Like

Thanks Greg! Delurking to thank you as this was a favorite app of mine for many years at a local Italian restaurant that I don’t really get to anymore. Can I ask about the white wine/dry vermouth you mentioned? Is it in addition to the lemon juice and chicken stock?

2 Likes

Mr Bean had it in his head that he wanted a Tomahawk steak. Thanks to some helpful advice from folks on the Big Ole NJ Steak thread, especially @CurlzNJ, @NotJrvedivici, @taboni, and @hcentro he had one.

Instead of using a sheet pan with herbs and adding some clarified butter as the steak cooked, I used a mixture of olive oil, butter, and herbs, then used the herbs as a mop to baste the meat. I had extra to which I added the juices that collected on the cutting board.

I’m not a great steak maker but this turned out really well. No pictures of it sliced as Mr Bean started to eat before I could get to it.

Served with a wedge salad, including homemade bleu cheese dressing (another first).

The Sprout made a classic creme caramel with vanilla bean paste for extra flavor.

It turned out to be a really good Father’s Day!

22 Likes

It sure was :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you @NotJrvedivici!

2 Likes

EVERY DAY IS MARTINI DAY! :grinning:

6 Likes

Not a martini yesterday, but a Tanqueray and Tonic. So good! :cocktail::monkey:

Father’s Day Dinner for H. The DD’s and SIL came down, along with the two Boston’s. We had beautiful weather, and the food was really good too. Kept things on the light side, which worked well in the (relative) heat. We started with a charcuterie and cheese board, with drinks, before moving on to a salad of baby greens, strawberries, avocado, pistachios, almonds and feta, with a blackberry vinaigrette. Sorry, no pictures of that part. The main event was beef filet, garden Swiss Chard sautéed with shallot, and a potato, celery and dill dish from Alison Roman. The potatoes will be a definite repeat. The recipe called for anchovies, but we left them out for eater preferences (not ours!) I wanted to add the bold briny flavor with capers, but we were out. For dessert, DD2 and SIL made a strawberry cornmeal cake from Dessert Person. It was good, and very
not sweet for a dessert; I was happy the younger cooks used their common sense and lightly sweetened the whipped cream, as the recipe called for NO sugar. Makes me distrust the book, actually. Has anyone here cooked or baked out of it?

13 Likes

Lemon Pasta with Fresh Wild Oysters …

9 Likes

Back in the realm of cooking for one… a mix of lazy or easy dishes, and random combinations of things at hand.

Needed to use up the package of chicken legs and breasts I bought last week.

So. Legs marinated for faux malai kabab in green chutney, yogurt, and spices.

Breasts done my mom’s pan-roast style, but I did something wrong and ended up with gravy. So I cooked rice in the sauce. Sautéed spinach not pictured.

Flatbread comprised of garlic naan, fermented calabrian chili sauce, Parma cotto ham, red onions, a bit of cheddar, and a sprinkle of parmesan to finish. Really tasty - I had another half!

Alongside, tomato and burrata with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses. The tomatoes are finally flavorful - I’m missing my home-grown tomatoes of last year, though!

Over the weekend I had dinner indoors with friends for the first time. They made spanish-inspired food - pork stew Catalan-style and shrimp with garlic. Sides of sautéed mushrooms and roasted cauliflower. Plus toasted baguette to sop up the various juices.

17 Likes

Roasted cauliflower seasoning / paste varies depending on what it’s being eaten with - indian spices, dried herbs with garlic, just s&p sometimes, and so on.

If it’s accompanying something simple I flavor it more heavily, and vice versa.

1 Like

I have. There are errors in some of the recipes. I haven’t found an errata, yet. However, the author is so passionate that I continue to bake from it.

1 Like

Good to know. It’s my daughter’s book, but I may borrow to peruse @bmorecupcake.

Had to go into work for an hour just before noontime because I couldn’t do what I needed to do for the CEO on my phone or ancient personal laptop.

An easy-peasy dinner: bacon cheeseburger on a lightly toasted Kaiser roll (ketchup on the bottom) with Lamb Weston’s “Grown in Idaho” super-crispy crinkle cut fries. They weren’t “super crispy” after 20 minutes. I prefer their skinny shoestring fries, and the crinkle cuts may not remain in my freezer.

And because it’s the last day of my mini-vacay, I had my first V&L of the season. It was good.

15 Likes

BF had leftover rib eye from our brunch Sunday (he wasn’t feeling well) so he made tacos tonight. We had my leftover mexi-rice too, and he doctored up Ducal refried black beans - they come in a pouch, first time I’ve ever had them- quite tasty, and i loved the ultra smooth texture. Salsa included cukes and a little avocado.

14 Likes

We enjoyed our dinner at James on Main so much on Saturday that we also ordered from their takeout menu, which has different items. Tonight we enjoyed crispy fried chicken with crispy fried rosemary, as well as fork tender house smoked pork shoulder with roasted sweet potatoes and cornbread with Jack Daniels honey maple glaze. We also had leftover hand cut fries. Everything was delicious, and the portions were so huge that we have leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

10 Likes

Fora brief second I read that as “too aroused” :crazy_face::laughing:

6 Likes

Yes, in addition. I forgot to include it in my “recipe”-- just a hefty splash! I am not a wine guy, but I do love a martini! Therefore there is always dry vermouth (and sweet) in the house as opposed to white wine this would normally call for.

In any recipe that I have swapped vermouth (dry for white wine, sweet for red) it has always been better. Maybe its the additional fortification in the vermouth, I don’t know.

2 Likes

As noted in my last post, I forgot to include dry vermouth in my recipe along with the lemon juice and chicken stock.

I made a belated Father’s Day dinner - we split a fancy wet-aged NY Strip that was seared and basted with butter, rosemary, and thyme. Sides were creamed kale, roasted shaved Brussels with pecorino and lemon, hakurei turnips seared in the pan drippings, and mixed greens with roasted beets, blue cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, and toasted pistachios in fig vinaigrette. Would have looked nicer with the salad plated separately, but this is family life.

This ridonkulously good Barbaresco was in our glasses.

15 Likes

I miss having a grill, but this Calphalon pan is an adequate substitute. Balsamic marinated grilled chicken and asparagus.

Final plating included some Ravioli alla Vodka from the local Italian market. Had no appetite most of today, so the ravioli was almost dinner. But I fought off the laziness to do some light cooking. Oh and a couple of Vodka clubs certainly helped!

14 Likes