What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

We had guests here a couple of weeks ago - two friends/sisters, (but not) from Oregon. One used to live here from the mid nineties, until about 3 years ago. Anyway, we had a small party here, so her friends could see her, while she was in town.

The food was stuffed mushrooms, dumplings and sauce, Mahogany chicken wings, pigs in blankets and etcetera. All had a good time! As you can imagine, people talked up a storm, due to previous QT and isolation. In any case, there was leftover mushroom stuffing, which we used in a lasagne, along with thinly sliced zucchini and spinach, with Rao’s tomato sauce. So very good, and not much work. Plus a couple lunches, and portions in the freezer!

13 Likes

Ok, more dinner stuff.

Tortellini soup with a grilled sandwich. Tasty!

13 Likes

Snap peas were in our CSA share this week so there was this.

Fresh linguine (purchased) with snap peas, garlic scape, speck, ricotta, and lemon turned out to be a tasty combination.

15 Likes

Divinely delicious surely.

Have a lovely Sunday.

1 Like

Thank you @Barca!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

1 Like

As noted upthread we’re having our house painted. I still feel guilty not doing it myself. That starts tomorrow.

We had shrimp and rice and veg for dinner last night so the stuffed pork chops will be tonight.

Mon - Chinese takeaway
Tue - Reheat pizza from the freezer, previous takeaway
Wed - unplanned
Thu - unplanned
Fri - spaghetti and meatballs, assuming asking the painters to prioritize the kitchen works

Suggestions for Wed and Thu welcome. We have a single burner and a microwave, a kettle, and a coffee maker. Outdoor grill.

Plan for the week has not yet been approved by SWMBO. grin

2 Likes

Maybe this week is an opportune time to pretend you are in the south of France? That’s one trick I use when I have limited access to a kitchen.

Pan bagnat. Composed salad with whatever suits your fancy. Grilled fish or rotisserie chicken (for simplicity’s sake) with a big green salad.

Going a little further on to Italy, you might consider grilled veg served with bruschetta toasted on the grill. Crumbles of creamy feta is lovely on a plate of warm grilled vegetables.

Also if you are using dried pasta, the Harold McGee low-water method of cooking pasta in a frying pan is a go-to at our house for one-pan pasta meals. Gotta salt the water after it comes to the boil and make sure to reserve at least one cup of pasta cooking water to prepare the condiment (sauce) in the pan while the cooked, drained pasta rests in a colander.

Perhaps a nice glass of rosé for you and your wife might pair nicely with one of these meals after a long day of having painters in your home. Rosé would be a geographically correct beverage for either place in the summer months.

7 Likes

Good ideas. We’ll see how the day goes tomorrow and the hours the painters stay. That will drive available prep time.

I should also have mentioned that we’re still dealing with the latter stages of cicada Brood X. We’re in a bit of a population hole due to high water table but they still have been coming in waves depending on weather.

1 Like

A couple more dinners, nothing too exciting , but reasonably healthy and good. BISO chicken thighs, and Southwestern salad. Gratuitous cat photo.

17 Likes

Harira with the most amazing biscuits ever, chicken piccata with whole grain pasta, chop chop salad - H’s portion is pictured, mine didn’t have tomatoes, so not as pretty.
Last pic is a vegetable and tofu stir fry over brown and cauliflower rices. Last night a photo fail, but dinner was ‘Merican tacos with ground turkey.

15 Likes

Sketti and sawce last night because I was too arsed to do anything else.

Tonight was a BISO chicken breast marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, rosemary and thyme, with salt/Aleppo pepper thrown in as well. Roasted at 425° until done, spooning marinade on top occasionally.

Sides were baby potatoes tossed with olive oil and Penzeys Mural of Flavor, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds.

Wine.

12 Likes

Had our neighbor over for drinks and snacks tonight outside and I whipped up this quick Artichoke Francaise. It’s a dish I’ve perfected over the years but have not made in a while. Between the lemon juice and white wine (replaced with dry vermouth) it is a great summer appetizer.

You can see the stem of my martini glass in this pic. Cheers!

18 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ. Besides the always excellent bulgogi and spicy pork tacos, escargot, fried shishito peppers, and truffled french fries, we enjoyed rich and creamy corn soup, crispy skinned wild salmon with mint pea puree, snow peas, kimchi salad, and purple potatoes; sautéed scallops with kimchee puree, wild mushrooms, and mushroom risotto. When we got home we enjoyed Mrs. P’s homemade chocolate sin cake topped with homemade whipped cream, and fresh homegrown mint as well as cranberry cherry cabernet conserve. It all went great with an excellent syrah.

13 Likes

I’ve been lurking on this thread all month and enjoying all of your lovely meals, but have been too busy to do much cooking (or posting) of my own. Hopefully that will change soon - I accepted a new day job last week, which will be 100% remote! More responsibility than my current position, but losing the commute permanently will be amazing.

Anyway, we celebrated the new job and Litha (Midsummer) tonight with a grillapalooza meal including cheeseburgers, chicken kebabs, grilled onions and elote-style Brussels sprouts. Lots of fabulous herbs (spearmint, pineapple mint, summer savory, rosemary and thyme all going gangbusters) from my garden, both in dinner and the multiple cocktails we enjoyed before and during (nothing better than muddled fresh mint!). DH will enjoy the leftovers for lunches this week, but starting July 6 he’s going to have to fight me for them!

20210620_214600

18 Likes

That looks so delicious - could you share your recipe??

2 Likes

No recipe, but I’ll tell you my steps:

1. Two cans of whole artichoke hearts and cut in half.
  2. Dredge in seasoned flour.
  3. Pan fry in butter and olive oil until golden brown and crispy. About a tablespoon of each.
  4. Remove browned artichokes. Heat up another tablespoon of butter with the juice of two lemons and some chicken stock. I can’t say how much stock, but probably about a half cup. Bring to a simmer until it starts to thicken slightly.
  5. Add the artichokes back in for a minute or two. Done.

Not more than 15 minutes from start to finish. Easy, effortless appetizer. I suppose it could be an entree over pasta as well.

10 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

So, made this again (since I already had the nam pla prik), using Chinese eggplant this time. Loved it even more than the other version. such a comforting dish.

15 Likes

Same to you.
Have a wonderful week ahead.

1 Like

Congrats on your new job! While 100% remote doesn’t suit everybody, when remote work suits you it can be life-changing—in the best of ways.

3 Likes