What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

The bloke ended up having to attend the work function and my laziness peaked. The four year old and I opted for dinner out.

We went to Nanam - a modern Filipino restaurant we’ve been to a couple of times. For the four year old - tacopao which is their take on Siopao, a steamed filled bun. The’ve crossed it with the idea of a fill it yourself taco, hence the name. The steaming hot red buns are coloured with beetroot and the fillings are fabulous. A sweet fatty braised pork, chicarrones, peanuts, pickled carrots and pickled daikon.

Tonight I opted for their dinuguan. It’s a traditional stew of pork bits (meat and sometimes intestines) in pig’s blood with green chilli sometimes cheekily called chocolate stew due to the blood looking brown. Their interpretation used pork belly, a tiny bit of the blood sauce. Pickled bok choy and a weird fried cake of what seemed to be compressed meat (corned beef?). It was good but I missed the blood sauce which is what makes the traditional version wonderful and there was too much sugar in the pickled bok choy for my taste.

Dessert was halo halo. Imagine throwing a range of tasty items in a glass. Pandan granita, melon balls, sweet beans, coconut jelly, caramel flan. Refreshing and delicious despite the rushed photo as I was fending off the excited four year old.

7 Likes

Last night i met friends for happy hour at a seafood centric place that apparently has a very limited selection of vegetarian bar snacks or apps, but the cocktails and company made up for it and we shared some tasty fries. The rest of my so called dinner was cucumbers with hummus and some edamame.

Today was unusually warm-and amazing!- so i was in thr mood for a Big Salad. I chopped everything i could think of and had romaine, cucumber, lots of cilantro, shredded carrot, jicama, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, and added in some crumbled tempeh i gave a quick stir fry to. Vinegrette with a lot of dijon and black pepper. Glass of reisling a la carte.
And then i broke my toe by mashing it against the leg of my coffee table so i consoled myself with a few of the emergency dark chocolate truffles from the freezer. I’ll live but am annoyed about it.

4 Likes

There’s to be pork and chorizo burger/rissoles/meatballs/albondigas thingies. Served up with 2cm cubes of roast potato, a tomato sauce (which may morph into patatas bravas) and purple sprouting broccoli (steamed and finished off in the frying pan with a bit of garlic. .

5 Likes

Ouch on the toe. More Riesling for the cure.

1 Like

Talk about doing everything right! Congrats to you.

I hate when the coffee table or dining room table sticks out their legs so you run your foot into it. Mine do that way more often than I’d like. :thumbsdown:

2 Likes

yikes! no like the broken toe. You must have really whacked it…feel better.

1 Like

WFD: ~ Chicken with Herbs and Tomatoes: Whole chicken legs, separated into drums and thighs; pressed garlic; chopped onions; chopped tomatoes; lemon juice; white wine; basil; cilantro; parsley; tarragon; bay leaves; S & P; black peppercorns.

~ Served on several Taralli (hard Italian bread rings), with chicken juices ladled over all.

~ Radish & Cucumber Salad: Thinly sliced Kirby cucumbers and radishes; pinch of S; sour cream; white vinegar; drained capers; finely chopped fresh dill; pinch of sugar. Tossed together and chilled for about an hour. Garnished with more fresh dill. (Love this salad)

2 Likes

The little sweetheart. Will she eat macaroni with butter & cheese? Baked or mashed potato with the same? Milk toast? My best wishes to you.

I think you should start a new thread too - it sounds like a request that will come up again from others and it’s a shame to bury good suggestions in the WFD thread.
I used to make banana smoothies with coconut cream when my toddler was looking scrawny. Good luck!

2 Likes

After another successful culinary outing to the City of Brotherly Love, the casa lingua residents are back home and back at the stove :slight_smile:

Chicken piccata is on the menu tonight, steamed string beans with hollandaise sauce on the side.

2 Likes

Last night was meatballs made of a mixture of ground pork and chicken thighs, parmesan, herbs, onions, garlic and pork rinds, simmered in a quick tomato sauce, with a salad. Good! And I made a ton, so tonight will be leftovers!

3 Likes

Very busy and stressful week at work. So instead of WFD daily goes weekly.

Weekend : Jamie Oliver’s famous “Chicken in milk”, we cook it quite often, it is usually very good. This time, the problem was hubby bought a hen. I didn’t paid attention (should make a chicken soup instead)…the bird was hard and not very tasty, need longer cooking.

Monday: Steak grilled with herbs (estragon and thyme), fleur de sel, and peppers with cognac, garlic and cream sauce. Ate with baked broccoli with goat cheese.

Tuesday: Tagine- Lamb shoulder slow-cooked with lemon confit, fave beans and potatoes. Delicious and lasted days!

Tonight: Not feeling especially well, so a light rice noodle soup with tuna and vegetables (no photo).

8 Likes

Everything looks wonderful, @naf! Hope you’re feeling better soon.

1 Like

A relatively plain-Jane meal tonight - a Frankenchicken breast was cut in half lengthwise, seasoned with salt, pepper and dried thyme, and seared in hot oil. Added about 2/3 of a cup of fresh orange juice, covered, and cooked over low heat until the chicken was done. Removed it to keep warm, and reduced the remaining liquid in the pan for a bit of a sauce.

Ginger rice and asparagus alongside.

5 Likes

A random conversation with my mom about that chinese chicken salad with ramen noodles that she used to make wouldn’t leave me- it’s been several decades since i had it.
I found a recipe and went with a version using nappa cabbage, shredded carrots, sliced almonds, green onion, the ramen noodles (top ramen oriental flavor is vegan!), and edamame. Dressing was grapeseed oil, vinegar, a little sugar, the seasoning packet and sesame oil.
Freaking delicious! I had a generous bowlful with reisling a la carte.
The stupid toe is a lovely shade of purple but thankfully happy in sneakers

5 Likes

Off topic but I broke a toe a few years ago (got my feet tangled up with the dogs and a rug runner) so I feel your pain.

1 Like

Tonight it was leftovers repurposed. Mashed potatoes and corvina made fish cakes and a side of slaw

5 Likes

It’s another “eat out” day - family gathering for a birthday. Chain Italian - we manage to do slightly better than our usual lowest common denominator due to absences. Hurrah, I suppose.

2 Likes

Piccata and string beans with hollandaise hit the spot. Sloppy plating, I know. Tasty, tho.

Tonight I’ll swing by the pub to do a few tunes with my bandmates, after which we’re hosting a poker game at casa lingua. Delivery is in our future. And hopefully a huge win :smiley:

Happy weekend, HOs!

8 Likes