What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

We’re having corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day. The missing Guinness was poured into the slow cooker.

4 Likes

Looks beautiful! Yes, I added extra red onion. The nuts I cooked on top and the cream I added after.

Last night’s Sichuan jour fixe drew 16 of our chile heads to the table, after a 2-week hiatus. Everything was great, as usual, but the mapo tofu was truly outstanding this time.

As for WFD tonight – neither of the casa lingua residents have even a drop of Irish blood, so we don’t give a feck about St. Paddy’s… which is reflected in our decidedly non-Irish dinner choice.

A package of 3 very nice, thick & well marbled strip steaks were on sale, a cut I rarely ever buy as I prefer rib-eye, but these I couldn’t resist. They’re currently sitting in the fridge on a rack, liberally salted with coarse kosher salt. As the temps are nice & it may not rain tonight, my man will grill them for when I return for a short break from work. I’ll doctor up TJ’s hollandaise with some tarragon & call it béarnaise, which will nap the steaks.

Big-ass salad on the side with the usual suspects - mixed greens, baby arugula, avocado, radishes, tomatoes, maybe some feta in shallot-mustard-vinaigrette. Probably will use toasted hazelnut oil for the dressing.

For those of you who are Irish, or even just “Irish” - Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

3 Likes

DH is probably 1/20 Irish, me nothing but Italian… Pure Italian. Doesn’t matter …

WFD: ~ Pan-Grilled Pork Chops.
Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic Sauce: garlic; hot Hungarian paprika; beef stock; parsley; chopped dill, bone-in pork shoulder chops.

Simple recipe with the sauce the prime focus, the chops simply the vehicle. We’ll pan-grill the chops instead of cooking them on the Weber, slice the bone away, but save the bone in the freezer to use for stock. I like chops to be 1/2 tick away from loosing the pink.

~ Roasted potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, leeks. Seasoned with S & P, garlic, diced onion, sweet paprika, melted clarified butter. Chopped dill for garnishing each serving.

In the past our homage to St. Patrick was a Dublin Coddle. It’s a casserole of alternate layers of almost all the food we’re having tonight: Sliced vegetables as listed, pork sausages, and pork chops. Each layer is seasoned aggressively and a glug of stock is added to help create the luscious sauce.

Naturally, soda bread is on the table along with Kerry Gold butter. DH will probably have a beer of some sort and I’ll have Irish Breakfast tea.

5 Likes

Feeling like crap, but I had to use up the rest of the lamb from the weekend, so lamb-barley-veg soup will suffice and feed my freezer a bit (and make a couple of Mom meals).

Chopped lamb, carrot pennies, baby yellow potatoes cut into small chunks, some shallots and garlic, pearl barley, homemade chicken stock, salt, pepper, dried thyme, a bay leaf. I’ll toss in a cup of frozen peas near the end.

I’ll bake a couple of PepFarm’s crusty-crunchy rolls as well. This’ll probably be lunch tomorrow as well.

4 Likes

Last night was out with my best friend, we went to a restaurant i had not been to before in my neighborhood that has a nice wines btg list- and it is still disappointing for me to see a menu with literally two vegetarian options, the burrata appetizer and a lame salad. I was obnoxious and asked they make a plate with several of the sides listed for other menu items and ended up very happy with some grilled baby artichokes, roasted sunchokes and fingerlings, and pesto carrot something. The wine and company were lovely but probably won’t return for dinner.
Anyways.

I am officially burnt out on cabbage. I’ve been making and eating tons of it every which way all fall and winter and now that it’s on crazy sale everywhere i just couldn’t be less interested. Go figure.
I’m not irish and kind of indifferent about the holiday. And today was actually a really really crappy day with some unexpected bad news.
I decided a stuffed baked potato sounded fabulous- which is weird I rarely make them- so i baked a ginormous potato and topped it with that “creamy beans” recipe from orangette using black beans and coconut oil, a ton of fresh cilantro, some green onions, nutritional yeast, and fat globs of plain greek yogurt. Barely finished half, it was really an obscene portion once i added everything…! Leftovers will be lunch. Reisling as appetizer, and with dinner. And will likely be dessert in short order here…

5 Likes

I’m curious as to the cuisine of the restaurant. It seems odd indeed.

No photos but had a bunch of white beans I had cooked a few days before which drove the decision to make a white bean chili. A couple of chicken breast thawed rapidly with the Anova and a bunch of aromatics made a dandy stove top dinner . Bread toasted with an herb mixture , olive oil and salt made a great combo fo a red light food casualty.

This is the kinda food that pushes my buttons. Great steaks are great but I’ll take a good stew or braised dish over a steak most days. Just more complex In flavor.

4 Likes

I SO want to live next door to you.

2 Likes

Having a freezer stocked with a lot of containers of homemade chicken and other stocks at the ready helps to make dinner a breeze on a whim. Barrel aged Manhattans :wine_glass: on tap makes the work more fun. Somehow visions of the galloping gourmet come to mind.

1 Like

Not much of a bourbon drinker but your freezer sounds fantastic :slight_smile:

Sorry about the crappy day (join the club!) and sorry about the bad news. Time to pull the covers over and make the world go away. I’m about to do that for the night. Hope tomorrow is better - for both of us!

2 Likes

no Irishing here, either, as the BF and I have none in us and don’t celebrate holidays anyway. i’ll pick up some CB on sale this weekend and we’ll have it another time. Tequila will probably be the quaff of choice later tonight.

tonight was butter salt butter salt cheese fat salt oh and a carb. after throwing out his back, the BF made TJ’s pork belly, simply seared (though unfortunately he oversalted - but his poor back! i woulda ordered pizza), with some orgasmically delicious gorgonzola/caramelized garlic/butter mashed potatoes. And that giant salad on the side was very similar to one i made myself for my work lunch. no matter. i ate it all anyway, with nary a peep.

9 Likes

Semi italian semi spanish… I think the sides i had were from the daily menu chalkboard of also nonvegetarian specials

1 Like

Spaghetti allo scoglio (“spaghetti on the rocks”)

Sharp-eyed observers may detect a golden tint. That comes from a pinch of saffron that was bloomed in some hot oil before the tomatoes were added, along with: garlic, bay leaves, fennel seeds and thyme. After the sauce comes together, add: clams, mussels and squid.

6 Likes

I’m making pasties.

Beef, potato, onion, carrot, swede.

Standard 2:1 shortcrust - all butter as I forgot to buy lard. I usually do 50/50 lard/butter for pasties.

(Pasty Trivia - Cornish pasties are traditionally crimped along the side while Devon pasties are crimped along the top.)

(Harters Trivia - I find it’s easiest to crimp along the top, so that’s what I do.)

7 Likes

Cabbage tart part 2… @Ttrockwood @Frizzle

Since we only ate half of the tart the night before, I fried and added some more red onion on the tart, midway between confit and crispy. Instead of cream, I put some slice goat cheese and crispy lardon. Since it was leftover, I reheat the tart in the oven with 220ºC for a few minutes. The tart was even better than the night before (which is rare for a tart), texture crispy, salty, sweet and acid and smoky from the lardon! Thanks everyone again for the recipe!

5 Likes

Sounds good, what’s your recipe?

Dont follow recipes, always cook on a whim. But what went in there? Basically what I had on hand.
A couple of onions and bell peppers, 4 cloves of garlic, a couple of stalks of celery with leaves, bay leaf, a heavy pinch of ancho, guajillo and morita chili powder, cumin and salt. While that cooked down I diced up a couple of BSCB and added that followed by about 3-4 cups of white beans I made a few day before, about 6 cups of chicken stock and a can of diced tomatoes. Don’t think I left out anything but could be wrong

2 Likes

That’s pretty much my MO as well.

1 Like