What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

Dinner was an Erin Cox cocktail, two martinis and beef tataki with my gal pals at the CBDTR, as I was still positively stuffed from a ridiculously late & ridiculously large salad of Belgian endive, leftover mixed greens, radishes, avocado, tomatoes, crumbled bacon & king oyster “croutons” with shallot-mustard vinaigrette.

My man made himself a chicken stir-fry with leftover rice. Finished the leftovers when I got home :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How do you make those “croutons” please?

Just dice up the shrooms and fry in bacon fat.

4 Likes

Looks like you ate all of Africa.

3 Likes

I steam very often, both my food and after I’m done swimming. Here are 3 different ways I steam roe and pork mince, all 3 have different seasonings. The one with Sichuan fermented bean curd in chilli oil was most popular today. I even ate an extra cube of curd on the side. There were also sauteed mixed mushrooms alongside (shiitake, trumpet, and shredded woodears.)

With 2 cubes of fermented bean curd and crunchy, spicy turnip bits.

With crunchy mustard and some fermented bean curd

3 in a row

And last but not least, WWFD: last of braised lamb shoulder meat was removed and shredded, added some fish sauce, dry sherry, minced lemongrass and pounded turmeric in light olive oil. Mixed well and froze. Thawed slowly in the fridge on monday and all I had to do last night was stir fry the whole thing. A plain salad on the side and mung bean noodles

4 Likes

Yeah, really now! My mid night meal would be a cold brewski and 2x water.

A cheese dinner is a so very my thing. Would love a cheese loving cat for company, too, but I shall drink all the beer!

Just got 4 new cheese today. Photos this weekend, probably.

WFD WOK WED: ~ Sesame Chicken with Stir-Fried Cabbage and Snow Peas: chicken thighs; sesame seeds; Sesame oil; Napa cabbage; snow peas; dark soy sauce; a smidge of fish sauce, garlic; ginger; S & P, white pepper; sesame oil; peanut oil. Toasted peanuts and chopped cilantro for garnish.

A very straight forward recipe to which I’m looking forward. We make this at least once a year and I deemed today was that once, for no other reason than I’m experimenting with our tried-and-trues to find which recipe or memory dishes suit our ever evolving easy going menus. Last night’s fish casserole was tedious for DH. In retrospect I have devised an easier method of preparation for the casserole but I’m trying to keep post casserole nights as painless for him as I can.

~ Steamed brown rice with a hit of fresh lemon juice. Must have rice with the stir-fry, it’s in the rule book. [Not really but…]

4 Likes

A bits and bobs dinner which all came together in a salad.

The rest of a head of red leaf romaine lettuce was torn, a lonely carrot was grated, a few radishes were sliced, 1/3 of a small red bell pepper was chopped, a couple of chicken tenders were seasoned and cooked and then chopped, a vine-ripened tomato was chopped, and then there was a sprinkling of dried cranberries, a couple of croutons. Finally, a vinaigrette of olive oil, white balsamic, mustard, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and honey was shaken together in a jar, and was drizzled.

No picture, because it’s a salad. :slight_smile: Suffice to say, it wasn’t too bad!.Oh - and a glass of wine was poured.

6 Likes

I love meals like that! I consider them ‘free.’ Plus I want salad that has lots of ‘stuff’ in it. Sounds super.

1 Like

That salad looks awesome! I love king oyster mushrooms.

I love pretty much all mushrooms, but these are special.

1 Like

Yeah last time I had “special shrooms” it was NOT a good night! You can keep them Lingua!

You bet. They’re my favorite :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I try to cook quietly so I don’t wake anyone. I go through such bad insomnia spells that I try to make the most of it!

So dinner for last night was Chicken Pad Thai. My husband and I loved it. My 2.5 yr old son not so much.

Tonight I made a Congee, essentially. I was trying to replicate a soup from a restaurant I used to work at and finally it dawned on me that a congee type soup would give me the right consistency. The soup was a Thai coconut chicken soup with ground chicken and a thick consistency, unlike any of the recipes I come across.

3 Likes

Well, not dinner, but desert table at niece’s engagement party.

7 Likes

Getting over a stupid cold has seen me lurch from one dinner to another this week. None of them were particularly good or bad. Just ‘meh’.

Tonight is a clean out the refrigerator night as we’re off to a music festival for a few days. Brussels sprouts are getting roasted and thanks to a post on another group I’m using up parsnips in a purée and making chicken piccata. Also underway is a celery soup for an in-law with dental issues.

4 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

Here it goes. Homage to your tart! Thanks @Ttrockwood for the initial recipe. I had this red cabbage in the fridge for days that I didn’t know what to do with it. Thanks a lot for inspiration.

I think I followed your recipe and used nearly the same ingredients, maybe you had more red onion. From your photo, I have the impression that you add the nuts and the cream after the tart was cooked. Mine, I added the cream and the nut and cooked 10 minutes in the oven. Quite good indeed.

9 Likes

We were in London overnight (went to see an exhibition of Impressionist paintings of gardens - Monet and the like). Dinner was good ( [London, W8] Clarke's )

The hotel had a decent buffet breakfast and we were greedy. OK, to be precise, I mean I was greedy. Herself was a model of restraint. And then there was the free food on the train home. So lunch was modest - a sandwich in the supermarket cafe. And dinner will be modest - pizza and salad.

5 Likes