What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

I was off to a scotch tasting yesterday evening so dinner was rushed and no more than heating up a hunk of BBQ brisket from the freezer for a sandwich.

1 Like

@Scubadoo97, just an FYI - we’ve moved onto thread #7. Scroll up a bit for the link.

I never thought about using a sink! Do you cover it???

Went to Costco and bought these cooked lobster claws . First time buying lobster . You get a bunch of them . I guess I’ll have them with a Romaine salad and crusty bread . I do not know what else to do with them . Could make lobster rolls .

1 Like

I see lobster tails regularly at Costco but have never seen claws. Interesting. Love lobsters rolls. The New England way with mayo :slight_smile:

@emglow101, we’ve moved on to #7 of the WFD thread:

What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

1 Like

Not for something like this. I don’t use the sink often but it works well for conventionally filling with hot water and draining. The container is already in your kitchen. I have a gfp electric outlet close by. I would not use it for a 4+ hr cook where I want to control evaporation

Cat , for your info they sucked . Could be why they are never seen .

I’m having tuna. It 's marinated for about 30 minutes in light soy, mirin and grated ginger, then goes under the grill till it’s medium rare (I am no fan of the modern fashion for just seared tuna). Alongside, slices of cucumber mrinated in rice vinegar, dark soy and a little sugar. Plain rice as the carb. Recipe idea comes from “The Best of Oriental Cooking”, a compilation book published in 1989 by MacDonald & Co.

Herself regards tuna as only fit for cat food. Instead, she’s having a fish finger barmcake. Tartare sauce - definitely. Salad - maybe. White wine - waddya think?

5 Likes

I understand that some do not like seared or raw tuna.

Yes to white wine, or a beer.

I enjoyed my barm cake with roast pork belly and cracking in Sheffield. And copious amounts of apple sauce.

Another variation I like even more is with minced lemongrass and fresh turmeric (thus minus the dill). Works great with any firm fish, though I always use skates.

1 Like

Interesting. One of these days, I’m going to try and properly map the regional names for a bread roll. I had thought that the barmcake was specific to my part of the northwest (although only 15 miles away, in the town where I used to work, it becomes a bap).

It confuses me to no end. This might turn into a regional history or cookery lesson.

Ditto that - but go lightly with the mayo! :slight_smile:

Seared tuna has been around probably 25 years at least.

Really? Thanks for that. I thought it was much more recent .

That said, I suppose it’s only in the last couple of years or so that I’ve realised tuna doesnt always come in tins.

I certainly grew up (in the SE USA in the 50s and 60s) thinking that’s how it came. Along with many other things.

Do people scoff at Irish stew these days? I got a whole lamb shoulder and this meal was first to be made with it. The shoulder is 1.5kg so there should be 2 more different meals soon. Shoulder cut is boney but the marrow only adds to the taste.

I tried to get closer but this is as close as I could.

5 Likes

Last night: Skirt steak on the BBQ with chimichurri sauce, sautéed potatoes and blanched broccoli with miso & tahini sauce.

Tonight: I’ve got a long day in the car ahead of me so it’s easy breakfast for dinner - ful medamas. Broad beans with cumin, tomato and onion. Plus whatever leftovers are floating about.

4 Likes

Safe journey!

I haven’t had a proper steak in months, and a bbq since last summer (horrible weather). Have been eating mostly slow-cooked cuts of meat.

1 Like

Our first night in Philly was an improv evening of sorts - no rezzies anywhere, so we just headed towards The Franklin Bar for early eve libations. The line for the downstairs bar was too long for us to stand around in the cold, so we opted for the upstairs, more casual bar. They had a big daiquiri list (not my cuppa, generally) and a few interesting cocktails. My man went with two different daiquiris, I had a “In Cold Blood” (= mezcal, amaro nardini, blackberry lime juice), a “Chaos Theory” (= rye, hibiscus, lemon juice, peychaud’s bitters, orange flower water, egg white) and a Paloma, b/c the Franklin is the first place I’ve ever had a paloma, and their version remains my favorite.

Afterwards, we hopped a few feet south to The Dandelion, a pretty overrated British-style pub. Deviled eggs for $8. Meh. Crab/cod/chilli cakes that were good. A duck foie gras & pistachio terrine that was too cold to taste of anything. Had a nice big bottle of dark & dry cider, however.

From there, we went to Tria, a small local wine & small plates chain we’ve been to many times. We shared a few different cheeses (including one of my favorites, tête de moines) and had too much wine.

Tonight, Italian’s on the menu here.

3 Likes