What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Lunch Saturday … The wine is the highlight here …

15 Likes

Wow! What a spectacular lunch and wine pairing!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

2 Likes

Kaju Paneer Masala [South Indian]

4 Likes

Thanks so much.

It was quite delicious ! And the Barolo was amazing.

Perfect pairing !!!

Have a wonderful weekend.

1 Like

All I can think of is Bill Withers’ “A Lovely Day”.
Because it was.

I bought potting soil.
I bought Rao’s Marinara.
I bought chocolate.
I did other supermarkety and CVSey-type things.
I got some deals. :+1:
I braved Mahoneys Garden Center just down the road from me at 2pm on a very warm Saturday May afternoon and lucked into a good parking space.

I repotted the Greek oregano, Italian flat leaf parsley, English thyme, chives, rosemary, Danvers carrots, Box Car Willie tomatoes, and Rutgers tomatoes purchased at Mahoneys. All from starter plants, because I’m a failure at growing from seed.

Several Moscow Mules were consumed after repotting and during dinner prep, and wine was consumed while dining…a Chateau Souverain Chardonnay, the first white wine I ever enjoyed back in 1978 on a visit to the winery with my aunt. It’s a good, basic white wine.

Dinner was a thick grilled Tsardusted bone-in pork chop with mango salsa (small dice mango, shallots, red bell pepper, minced Cuban pepper, parsley, lime juice, and honey). Served on garlic-herb orzo with steamed asparagus alongside.

And the wine. As I said…A Lovely Day.

23 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ. We enjoyed fork tender short ribs with celery root puree and spinach; excellent lobster bisque with mussels; sweet corn agnolotti; and a special of soft shell crabs with the same delicious lobster bisque sauce and corn. It all went great with an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape.

13 Likes

Quiet Saturday night. Exhausted from work. Frustrated with on and off GI issues (did finally see a doctor earlier this week).

Made a martini, ordered Chinese (curry chicken with onion and broccoli, white rice, and veggie dumplings), and did some catching up on Svengoolie, my go-to for good bad horror movies. No pics of the food.

13 Likes

Well the first answer is shaken, not stirred and the second question is how much vermouth do you like with your martinis? I’m 1:1 kinda guy, myself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

9 times out of 10 I stir my martinis. No patience tonight, so shaken it was. I usually only use a splash of vermouth, but since finding Dolin, I go a little bit more.

I used to take Noel Coward’s philosophy as gospel (“Fill a glass with gin and wave it in the general direction of Italy”) but with a good vermouth, one need not be as drastic. :grinning:

6 Likes

Quesadilla for the hubs ( a few cheeses, last of the pepper jelly, and okay, I had a corner), while working on some chicken stock.

13 Likes

Wow! I love that chicken from Popeyes, and I’m pretty sure we don’t get beignets.

2 Likes

Cheese Stuffed, Fried Squash Blossoms, Tomato Sauce

Stuffed w/Creamy Herb Cheese & Skosh of Half & Half. Lightly Battered w/Flour, Salt & Sparkling Water. Fried & Sprinkled w/Flaky Salt. Side of Spaghetti Sauce. Turned out perfect. :heart:

Toasted Baguette Slices, Rubbed w/Garlic & Drizzled w/Buttery Olive Oil & Sprinkled w/Flaky Salt

Spaghetti & Red Sauce w/Chicken

Finely Chopped & Sautéed Onions, Carrots, Bell Peppers & Garlic, Pureed Roasted Tomatoes, Jar of Tomato Paste, Tomato Olive Tapenade, Italian Seasoning, Bay Leaf, Crushed Dried Pepper, Mushroom Powder, White Wine, Chicken Stock, Low & Slow then added Browned Italian Chicken Sausage & Ground Chicken, Butter & Olive Oil, S&P and cooked a bit longer.

Pretty rich & delicious. :heart:

Wine was the rest of the Sparkling Organic Rose Sangiovese.

19 Likes

We were having our favourite easy and fresh option of burrata with basil and tomatoes, but it’s not quite enough for dinner so I made a sort of easy Thai soup, inspired by reading about tom yum. I haven’t had that for ages!

I just used a Knorr Kaffir Lime Leaf and Ginger stock pot as the base - put in a little fish sauce and sugar and some lemongrass. I simmered it for 5 mins to bring out the flavour, then added some thinly sliced mushroom (I needed only one - it was a small bowl for us smaller eaters) two halves of a cherry tomato, sliced green onion, and two shrimp for each bowl - simmered for another few mins. Garnished with some basil, cilantro, and a lime wedge, and only a tiny amount of coconut cream since my guy doesn’t enjoy it much. It was a tasty experiment and now all the actual Thai chefs can laugh at me :wink:

16 Likes

I don’t think we get Beignets here either, but I’m addicted to their creamy Red Beans & Rice. :yum:

1 Like

I’m not a Thai chef, but no laughing here. It sounds delicious.

3 Likes

It looks & sounds sooo comfortingly yummy.

That must’ve been some pretty great wine to be the “highlight” of a meal that looks like that! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes! And I just posted about my trip to Eataly London and lusting after the zucchini flowers. I feel inspired - but I don’t deep fry. Hmm, what to do…

1 Like

I like the idea of those agnolotti! I might see if I can dig up a recipe for those since my pasta machine is getting dusty. It all sounds yum.

2 Likes

I did chop & add a few to the spaghetti sauce after running out of cheese mixture. I’m going to buy more if they’re available… How do you cook yours?