What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

I was thinking the same thing @mariacarmen. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We had pizza tonight and said the same thing. I don’t drink coke much anymore but I was jonesing for one with my pizza.

1 Like

Fairly traditional Easter dinner tonight with just our crew (hubby, me and 2 kiddos). Ham with apricot/dijon glaze; twice baked potatoes, roasted brussels and asparagus. For dessert I’d planned a chocolate torte which was made and all ready to go, but we were to full and wiped out to enjoy it so we are saving it for tomorrow. We ended the meal with a few bites of some homemade chocolates (white/milk chocolate mini hearts and milk chocolate easter bunny pops - photos from prep below). A beautiful day of enjoying family time and great time in the kitchen.

Happy spring, all.

17 Likes

Taco Sunday. Replicating taco supreme from taco bell . Using their seasoning pack for the meat . And the taco shells. Box Mexican rice , with salad . Loved these crunchy little tacos. Cheers .

19 Likes

Looks sooo good!

1 Like

Pot pie, yum. I so like the way you eat.

P.S. Alfie. :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

I :heart: Taco Supreme.

1 Like

Last night we had takeout outdoors with the neighbors- a delightful evening.

Chinese for most of the adults: I ate chicken corn soup, Sichuan pepper and cumin lamb, young chow fried rice, and beef with ginger and scallion.

Tonight we had South Indian using batters from the indian store (after ages). Idli, dosa, and uttapam with coconut chutney. Crisp-charred roasted Brussels sprouts for veg.

16 Likes

Mapo Tofu Kit from Pearl River Deli in Chinatown

Mapo Sauce, Silken Tofu, Ground Duroc Pork + Rice + Sautéed Baby Bok Choy & Mushroom Medley

I sautéed the vegetables, browned the ground pork then added the sauce & tofu. I should also listen to your mother @Saregama, because the sautéed vegetables were only to satisfy the balanced meal at dinner theory - they added nothing to this one. :slightly_smiling_face:

17 Likes

After 8 days of Passover we were ready for leavened food for dinner, not that our meals were all that different but we did a lot more thinking about what to eat. Evidently the hot, new way to end Passover is Mimouna, a traditional festive meal shared by Moroccan Jews. One of the centerpieces is Mufletta, a yeasted, fried bread. It was a very simple dough to make. You fry the dough so that each pieced of dough ends up being cooked on top on the others to create a stack, flipping the stack to add each layer. My stack is small as everyone grabbed their bread before I could snap a picture. It was actually 8 pieced high. It’s much harder to explain than do.

Most people eat mufletta with melted butter but we had it with dinner in lieu of bread. Served with grilled gyro meat topped this spicy tomato sauce and salad. The traditional drink for Mimouna is mint tea. I added Pama liquor to mine.

19 Likes

You sure you’re not from Boston? :wink:

9 Likes

Kept Easter dinner simple because we wanted time for a family call (successful) and not be too tired later to hunt for vaccine appointments (not). I roasted lamb marinated in herbs, sautéed spinach in garlic, and my husband made his delicious mashed potatoes.

Italian wine for sipping. Ricotta pie with citrus and chocolate for dessert (special Easter order from a local cafe).

The sun had warmed our enclosed porch enough that we were able to enjoy dinner there for the first time in awhile. Pleasant day.

22 Likes

Easter is just another work day for me. My wife is mildly observant. Nonetheless the Passover/Easter season is a menu inspiration. Dinner was lamb meatballs, sweet potatoes boiled and then sauteed, roast asparagus, and a green salad (romaine, red and orange bell peppers, black olives, red onion, shredded carrot, small diced cheese - Gouda I think) with balsamic dressing (jarred).

11 Likes

I didn’t realize Sunday was Easter so I had none of the traditional fixin’s. Eggs, I have eggs, so I made fancy deviled eggs, chicken wings (can’t have eggs without chickens, or is it vice versa) and asparagus potato salad with hot bacon dressing.
IMG_2864

25 Likes

Pretty.

1 Like

Oooh, I like this idea! Your plate looks VERY appetizing!

2 Likes

My mother used to make beet pickled eggs AND deviled eggs every year at Easter. Love them both. Never thought to combine the ideas until a friend served them at a party…when I was in my 30s! Sometimes the lightbulb takes a while. :rofl: Yours look delicious!

1 Like

(Lunch Clients)

16 Likes

Thank you @TheCookie and @biondanonima. @LindaWhit here’s the recipe if you’d like. I found it a little dry (not enough dressing?) and added a blob of mayo.

8 Likes

Easter dinner. Rack of lamb with a mint chimichurri sauce and asparagus cooked in a cast iron skillet. Dessert was apple crumble and Ice Cream by Mike. image

20 Likes