What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

A decadent treat!

1 Like

:laughing:You either love them or hate them.

7 Likes

I made black eyed peas, tomatoes, and spinach in the IP. Served with cornbread, creamy cuke salad, and turkey kielbasa (which both adults admitted we don’t like all that much). The rest of the meal was good at least.

I subbed chicken broth for water, used fire-roasted toms, and added paprika and a dash of cayenne. I would cut back the pressure time and the amount of tomatoes slightly.

14 Likes

i love them, or used to as a kid.

1 Like

I’m in the other camp :laughing:

Now Bugles, Doritos, Fritos, and Cheetos are different matters. Fried corn seems to be a theme.

3 Likes

all those too!

Hope you’re feeling better!

1 Like

Nice

1 Like

Thanks @naf! Back at ya’!

For poultry seasoning Sage is the most important ingredient to me with Celery Seed/Powder coming in next. This is what I have presently. I just noticed it also has silicon dioxide… but who doesn’t need a little sand in their diet? :grimacing:

5 Likes

Your Asian night looks delicious!

1 Like

It’s Alive!

Santa Barbara Uni (sea urchin)

I wanted to make Uni Pasta and pre-ordered the Uni from my favorite fishmonger. But! in my mind they were going to be shelled and in a tray. :flushed: No biggie, it wasn’t too hard to open (good scissors & a pair of rubber gloves), but one was definitely not enough for pasta sauce and topping. I decided to put it on Seasoned Sushi Rice & Crispy Nori with a light brush of Sweet Soy Sauce. So good. :heart:

Blue Crab Mix (also from said fishmonger) w/Mayo, Tamari, Sriracha, Brown Sugar on Seasoned Sushi Rice & Crispy Nori topped w/Black Sesame & Scallions

I’m not practiced enough to do rolls yet and it usually loses its crispy by the time I’m done, so we eat it like a sushi canapé. Yummy. :heart:

We also had a few with avocado - no photo.

Masumi Arabashiri “First Run” Junmai Ginjo Nama

I thought this robust, unpasteurized sake might overpower, but the medium sweet, crisp, orange notes went pretty well.

Kanpai!

19 Likes

What’s not to love? They are one of my favorite extruded corn products!

2 Likes

Wow! Looks delicious, how many pieces of uni does one of those urchins have?

1 Like

Thanks @Mr_Happy!

This was a small sea urchin. I got about 5-6 small pieces - the ones in the photo were the biggest.

1 Like

Want that! Uni is another level! I missed eating sushi with the lockdown, the delivery ones near home is meh.

2 Likes

Love this comment!

1 Like

Ditto on the other camp for Funyuns.

And out of the others listed, I’m only a Frito Fan. I can leave Cheetos where they lay (although the commercials can be funny).

1 Like

Ditto! Eating sushi at a counter is what I missed most, foodwise.

4 Likes

my sister and I make “sushi canapes” too! i agree re keeping them crispy.

That uni looks to die for!! I think it may be time for us to indulge again…

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken you live in the perfect area… closer to the source? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like