What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Spaghetti and meatballs

19 Likes

Love the plate and food.

2 Likes

Love the grilled octopus!

I don’t seem to find a description for this dish, what is it?

7 Likes

Oven cooked pork belly with a grainy mustard, fish sauce, agave syrup, chili and olive oil rub with red pepper, cucumber, goat cheese, mint salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

Finished with a crème brûlée.

H did a better job, my first attempt with this new toy seemed a bit too burnt

18 Likes

You labelled this Octopus …

However, it looks like Oysters Rockerfeller to me.

What are the ingredients ontop of the oysters ?

Whatever it is called, it looks quite tasty …

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, I was actually replying to @paryzer, his meal is here, maybe I should reply in his original thread. LOL! Quite confusing without the picts here.

The octopus dish I was talking about was this one. (I notice now, we can’t quote a photo anymore from a previous post, more about it here…)

6 Likes

To die and go to heaven for octopus !

Apologies for the confusion here !

When i saw octopus, I was confused and said, well anything is possible – i thought maybe you served octopus clusters flattened on oyster shells !!! Joyeuses …

This is a Galician dish, called Pulpo a la Gallega or Pulpo a la Feira – difference is the plating. In Galicia the octopus and the sliced CACHUELOS (a yellow creamy potato) are placed on a wooden board.

2 Likes

@naf

Your dish would of oysters look like Oysters Rockerfeller.

If I knew the ingredients, I may be able to tell you the actual name.

Looks superbly splendid too.

Joyeuses Paques.

1 Like

Grilled beef ribs, marinated in soy, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, brown sugar, etc., turned out great, shockingly, since my sister and I still know squat about grilling. Also, pork shoulder, cut into steaks, rubbed with various smoked paprikas, habanero sugar, dry mustard, fennel pollen, brown sugar, etc., unfortunately was overdone, but BF and I can turn it into
tacos or something slow braised. Grilled veggies too, and a decent 2010 Rioja to go with.

13 Likes

Thank you @naf!
The oysters were broiled New Orleans style (with the PSTOB and scallions :slightly_smiling_face:).
The grilled octopus came with a potato muffuletta salad (potatoes with chopped olives, capers, onions, scallions, etc.).

6 Likes

The oysters look like sheer perfection @paryzer! As always, the food looks fantastic, and the photos are sumptuous. :wine_glass:

1 Like

Thank you @Lambchop :blush:
The oysters are delicious and the closest you can get to Dragos in New Orleans.

1 Like

That’s where we had oysters when we were in New Orleans in 2017! I did my research, and it was a fun night of food and music. I’m ready to go scouting for fresh oysters around here, which of course are plentiful. Thankfully! :oyster:

1 Like

Lobster (OCTOPUS TOO BUT NOT PLATED YET ) … Home sweet home …

15 Likes

Happy Easter to those who celebrate!! Unfortunately all the family members aren’t vaccinated yet so it’s another immediate family only pandemic holiday.

On the menu:
Apps - Italian egg rolls (an old favorite) charcuterie board, garlic bread.

Entrees: stuffed Turkey (brined 24 hours in water, orange juice and a bottle of Prosecco) the smallest ham I could find (nicknamed piglet, once I made that joke my 25 year old daughter shrieked and tossed it off her plate)

Sides: broccoli rabe, truffle & port wine mac n cheese, stuffing and gravy.

I made a fantastic fresh maple syrup and bourbon glaze for piglet!! Now time for a cigar and drink on the deck with the family, life is good!!! (that’s not water in the Dunkin’ Donuts cup)

25 Likes

These look drool-worthy - is that sausage, broccoli Rabe and cheese inside? Gorgeous feast overall!

Correct on all counts!! Finished with a drizzle of a reduction of balsamic and a quick marinara for dipping!!

1 Like

Fantastic. Also, truffle and port wine mac and cheese, be still my heart!

1 Like

Home made zeppoles for dessert. Are these a regional North East thing? I can see these not being a nationally known delicacy.

15 Likes

A quiet day. But I still made a sort-of family Easter meal, even though it was just for me.

Loin lamb chops marinated in olive oil, s/p, minced fresh rosemary and garlic, and lemon zest. Pan-seared and finished in the oven. Mrs. Miller’s mint jelly tucked in there.

Alongside were roasted fingerling potatoes and roasted asparagus, both simply seasoned with s/p, and Mom’s Tzimmes…glazed carrots with a glaze comprised of simmering par-cooked carrots in vegetable oil, honey, brown sugar, lemon rind (I used Penzeys lemon powder), ground ginger and salt. There was wine.

Dessert was Lemon Posset with a sort-of raspberry-ginger coulis topped with crushed gingersnaps.

24 Likes