What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

It looked good. We’ll try to go there if we can ever get to Boston again!

1 Like

Thank you @MsBean! I’ve helped a friend make matzoh balls for a large, back to back Passover dinner - maybe about 45 people between the 2 days. I think hers are on the lighter side, but that said, I’ve only had them a very few times. But I do like them! Also make and love the flavors of borscht, so your dish caught my eye.

May try that recipe, but perhaps reduce the amount of semolina a little, and add a bit more flour perhaps? We’ll see - hope to make it.

1 Like

What’s the secret to cleaning those roasting pans?

Sous vide beef short ribs, 48 hours at 138f.

16 Likes

Mapo tofu, with fresh tofu from a local place that makes theirs daily (I bought it a few days ago, though). Love this stuff.

IMG_7292

10 Likes

We had an excellent but uncomfortable dinner at La Cucina Nouveau in Marlboro, NJ. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that might be interested.

7 Likes

Ugh. I don’t know that I would’ve stayed. There’s a place we like in upstate New York with an owner who is, if not a straight-up COVID denier, then at the very least a COVID skeptic. And all that that entails. We’re fond of the guy, despite all this, and he does keep his unmasked face 6+ feet away from us. So we still eat there.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, we travelled an hour to get there, and there weren’t too many options on a Saturday night, without a reservation. Since we arrived early, for the first 45 minutes of our dinner, it wasn’t that crowded. Also, at least were weren’t seated in the middle of the main dining room cesspool, so we had some breathing room. It also helped that the food was excellent. We probably won’t be returning (at least until Covid is fully in the rear view mirror).

1 Like

Adding regular flour sounds like a good idea. @CurlzNJ and I were discussing our matzah ball techniques. She simmers hers for twice as long as her recipe calls for and they come out light and fluffy. Next time I may simmer the Kubbeh in the chicken stock before adding the beets. This might help lighten them without over-cooking the beets.

1 Like

A good soak and then a Scotch Brite scrubber sponge. If it gets REALLY bad, a steel wool soap pad. I’ve had this little Farberware roasting pan for 40 years, and its definitely no longer spotless. Just well used and well loved. They no longer make this smaller size, so I’ll keep it until I am no longer able to cook for myself. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I respectfully suggest passing on steel wool and getting bronze wool, readily available at most home improvement/DIY stores from Home Depot through Lowes, TrueValue, and Ace (please note Oxford comma). Amazon. The issue is that steel wool sheds and the tiny bits of steel rust and make a mess. Bronze also sheds but doesn’t rust or otherwise stick. Just squirt a little dish soap on the bronze wool and it’s just like a Brillo pad.

5 Likes

Big fan of the Oxford comma!

7 Likes

11 Likes

Signed the contracts and left the deposit on the daughters wedding venue today. This father of the bride is trying to “numb the pain” a bit with a liquid dinner. Lol (actually tonight’s dinner will be an end of week fridge clean out potpourri!! They better get use to leftovers around here till I get this wedding paid for. Anyone hiring middle aged balding know it all’s?

Peace peeps

21 Likes

Mazel tov!

2 Likes

Duck breast with Brussels sprouts. Several things wrong here. :disappointed:
I overcooked the duck by probably 10 F degrees. Plated it in the wrong direction. And finally (not in the picture) burnt my hand grabbing the skillet handle after taking it out of the oven. :face_with_head_bandage:

10 Likes

A little hard on yourself, no?

2 Likes

I made pasta salad with arugula and spinach, pesto red wine vinaigrette, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, fresh mozz, pepperoncini, and grape tomatoes, topped with chicken. Good and easy.

10 Likes

I see you decided to have the wedding at home!

8 Likes

Hahahaha :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl: good one and thank you for the compliment MsBean!!

1 Like