What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Never heard of it but looks like a different take on the Manhattan or an Old Fashioned.

Did I ever tell the history of this masterpiece? I know I didn’t have a pic last time. We started out wanting veggie subs, but then BF needed to put bacon on it and I caved in as well. So then we figured on BLT subs, but we didn’t have lettuce. I therefore give you the “Garbage” Sub. An absolute fridge dive with bacon, tomato, onion, roasted red peppers, black olives, mozzarella, and spinach. It works!

There was no booze tonight, but looking at that @mariacarmen creation makes me wish I made something!

16 Likes

Agreed. I also recently picked up a bottle of High West Double Rye, which is really good. I think it was a few dollars more, but I’m really digging it.

1 Like

Yup. I use the parchment paper to be able to slide the pizza on and off the stone. I don’t have a pizza peel (and would probably shove the damn pizza off the stone into the bottom of my oven anyway!), so the parchment paper works perfectly for me! The light oiling also gives a slight edge on crisping up the bottom of the pizza. As I’m stretching out the dough on the paper, it gets lightly oiled all over as I flip the dough a couple of times before I get it to “stay” where I want it to, like a good pizza puppy. LOL

5 Likes

Torre de Belém!

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

I finished making dinner for our friends who were just released from the hospital with their newborn. I brought two big containers of beef and barley stew, arugula/spinach blend with cukes, tomatoes, radish, and fig-maple cider vinaigrette, blueberry sour cream muffins (ATK), and Serious Eats’ no-knead focaccia (which I topped with Pecorino, black pepper, flaky sea salt, and roasted garlic o.o.

We, meanwhile, ate takeout ramen.

17 Likes

Friend’s meal looked delicious!!

It wasn’t easy, when my neighbours felt sick with Covid in February, I tried to cook them some food. Both parents were sick, but the kid was healthy, I cooked more for the kid as the parent’s didn’t have much appetite.

6 Likes

Post St Paddy’s day dinner. Picked up a couple prepared corned beef briskets. After a day of desalination the were dried, covered in pastrami spices and tossed on the smoker

14 Likes

Long break from WFD. Back refreshed! Tonight it was cod filet with broccoli in brown shrimp sauce.

Last WFDs

Sardine tartine

Home baked brioche, it was gone too quickly, next time I would make a bigger one.

Squid and ink spaghetti

Curry chicken rice, Japanese style

Prawn paella with ‘Nduja

Borscht, lovely beef stew with beet

17 Likes

Dinner last night: spinach salad, cheesesteak sandwiches with pepper Jack cheese, few chips. Used thinly sliced NY steak for the sandwiches, a little Montreal Steak Seasoning. Tasty.

13 Likes

Had ground lamb to use up - kofta balls to the rescue. I roasted them in the oven rather than make a mess grilling on the stove top. I threw some cherry tomatoes onto the pan with the meatballs and deglazed with white vermouth to create a sort of roasted tomato pan sauce. Roasted Brussels alongside. Very delicious even without the grill!

15 Likes

The brioche and curry look especially good!

1 Like

it all looks fabulous, as usual - but that brioche!!

AND the borsht! i love it with beef…

1 Like

Taco Tuesday! finally got it on the right day. Leftover chicken, shredded/chopped, then simmered in taco truck hot sauces, a little chipotle powder, and then finished with a squeeze of lime - made it sing! Topped with guac that i blended a little mexi-crema into - heaven. Fried the tortillas, even. Could easily have eaten another two.

Rancho Gordo midnight black beans cooked with leftover roasted carrot and onion from last night, bay leaves, oregano, smashed garlic cloves, and cumin. My favorite batch of black beans in a long time. Broth Is killer too, BF saved it to make himself soup.

16 Likes

that sounds delicious!

1 Like

Steamed pork cake with salted fish. I used bottled anchovies in lieu of the salted fish, and also added some MSG for that authentic taste. With steamed broccoli with oyster sauce and a bowl of rice.

Beer.

17 Likes

I feel that. We’ve had a lot of Taco Twednesdays lately!

3 Likes

that’s because every day is Taco Day!

2 Likes

Nice! I just got an email about a new RG bean! Anybody tried these? Here is the RG website.

4 Likes