What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Obligatory corned beef and cabbage, plus carrots and potatoes. The Sprout made the marble rye.

19 Likes

I love St. Patrick’s day, mainly for the left overs, Reubens and hash. I don’t like boiled cabbage so I always make brussels sprouts.
IMG_2833

16 Likes

Well, here it is as discussed: For St. Patrick’s Day, I made the Irish pub classic bangers and mash (and butter peas, of course). The rich caramelized onion gravy took an hour to make but was worth it. I also could not find basic pork sausage to use in place of Irish/British bangers (which no one sells around here), so I used Johnsonville brats instead. They were a worthy substitution though the flavor I was aiming for was not quite there. The addition of Dijon mustard to both the potatoes and gravy added an understated pop of flavor. This was excellent comfort food.

And there was, of course, whiskey.

18 Likes

I tried making colcannon for St. Patrick’s day. Mashed potatoes, cabbage, onion, green onion, bacon.

18 Likes

Looks great, bangers or not!

Sláinte :four_leaf_clover:

8 Likes

Looks good. I usually make colcannon with the leftovers.

1 Like

I think you hit the nail on the head cooking the ingredients separately! That is the way to make the flavors pop! Your plate looks fantastic, and the Sprout made an amazing loaf of marbled rye. That is beautiful!

Here’s how I like to cook my cabbage for the holiday, suggested by Michael Ruhlman. Fry up some bacon, then remove it from the pan. Put wedges of cabbage in the pan and sear them in the bacon fat. Then add some the meat poaching liquid to the pan so it comes up halfway on the cabbage. Cover and cook until the cabbage is done, about 10 minutes. It is amazing!

It’s great to see what everyone enjoyed for St. Patrick’s Day. Here’s my Irish soda bread I whipped up to share with my friends who dropped off my takeout dinner.

15 Likes

That looks great. I’m going to make some in the coming weeks.

1 Like

That sounds like a great method for cooking cabbage. I will often make a batch of sautéed cabbage to have on hand. The key for me is ti use lots of onions and make sure everything is really well browned. I often use it as a base for stews and such instead of a carb.

Your soda bread looks delicious. How was your dinner? I’ve only been to St Stephen’s Green once or twice I think. We usually end up at Harrigans.

1 Like

I made ours early (posted above), not really in conjunction with the holiday, just taking advantage of the sales last week. We both really love corned beef. I cooked the cabbage/carrots in the beef cooking water for only about 15 minutes so they didn’t get too soggy, but got some of the flavor. and i made champ (mashed taters with scallions) instead of plain boiled potatoes.

and yesterday i bought two whole new CBBs to make corned beef reubens tonight, and a corned beef shepherd’s pie we watched Chef John make. That’ll probably be Sunday’s fare. And then i think we’ll be done with CB until next year! Although the BF was asking why we don’t always have some in the freezer… :smile:

your dinner looked fantastic!

5 Likes

and it was KERRYGOLD, of course! :slightly_smiling_face: which has actually become our go-to, daily butter.

3 Likes

that dinner looks perfect. i’ve only made soda bread once, and it was so good. maybe when i finish the 3 loaves of rye bread i bought from the russian bakery…

1 Like

Ok I’ll join the cool kids with their St Patrick’s Day meal. Corned beef, red cabbage and red bliss smashed potato casserole. Also decided to make some Rueben’s just because. Lastly the store bought soda bread!

15 Likes

TERRAZARAMSESraw-oysters-on-tima-apertif-dish TERRAZABRUNCHunnamed TERRAZAFISHRAMSESunnamed TERRAZALANGOSTINOSRamses-RD-5 TERRAZARAMSES41579_r_ LUNCH: PRAWNS, OYSTERS, AND WILD SEABASS & Smoked salmon.

15 Likes

We had a very late lunch yesterday after getting our COVID vaccines (:raised_hands:t2:), so our St. Patty’s meal was postponed until tonight:

Rutabaga and turnips in place of the potatoes. Worthy substitutions.

20 Likes

Got my first COVID-19 Pfizer vax today. :+1::+1::+1:

Pork tenderloin, drizzled with olive oil and then Tsardusted, roasted in the oven at 400° for 15 minutes and at 350° for the rest of the time.

Sweet potatoes steamed, then mashed with butter, a sploosh of heavy cream, ground ginger and maple syrup.

Steamed broccoli.

Spicy Plum Ketchup on the slices of pork tenderloin.

Wine. And it was all very good. And I get to sleep in tomorrow.

23 Likes

Wasn’t sure if I was on the Saint Patty’s day post. Lovely corned beefs. I’ll probably pick up a few for the freezer as they mark them down soon

Tonight was more fish. Fish fish fish is all my wife wants to eat these days. Well we are in a good location for that obsession

Did some fill in work near a small seafood market with a make shift cooking trailer out front. Grouper sandwich is my go to when working in the vicinity and always bring a cooler to pick up fish on my way home

Very simple grouper piccata with baked sweet potatoes was dinner

19 Likes

that looks melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious!

1 Like

Thanks Maria. I always wonder what my favorite cooks here on HO would make with it

I was also thinking of grouper tacos but my wife wanted basic. Hard to argue with that given the ingredient

2 Likes

Love grouper and that looks amazing.

2 Likes