What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

ALESSIOOYSTERSROSASONPORTDSC_2663 Subiendo: ALEXANDRIARESTAURANTJAPANESEANDTHAI11259615_515043608642984_486595977_o (1).jpg…

14 Likes

These fotos above were taken in French city of Marseille before Covid.
We have an Italian friend who is in the oyster business.
Amazingly wonderful little weekend get away.

5 Likes

I made creamy chicken and gnocchi soup, a favorite around here, with yesterday’s roast chicken.

I made my own stock and used evaporated milk rather than cream. The kiddo inhaled it. OK, we did too.

20 Likes

Bookmarked! Thanks

Another Last Of…meal.

Leftover sliced roasted chicken, Boursin cheese, and last of the jar of roasted peppers for a panino.

Last of the cheeps in the UTZ bag.

Last glass from a bottle of wine. (It’s my virtual Wednesday, since I have half Thursday and all Friday off.)

18 Likes

Try mezcal.

2 Likes

Had it once and was not a fan. I think it was Monte Alban, not exactly top of the line. I gave the bottle away. This was years ago so maybe my tastes have changed.

Then last year, a friend gifted me a bottle he picked up in Mexico in the 80s. It did not age well!

Well, we’re all different.

1 Like

Tried gumbo from the freezer tonight with roasted potatoes instead of rice because we’d had rice the last two nights in a row. Silly me. I’m a potato maniac, but gumbo really needs to be smothering rice. Salad using a rosemary olive oil i bought ages ago. I think its higher purpose would be to be drizzled on roasted potatoes! next time…

10 Likes

Love Marseille. We lived there for a few months a hundred years ago…

1 Like

I ordered and enjoyed whisky maple glazed salmon with asparagus and roasted potatoes from my Chef friend. Below is just a half portion. I will have the other half later in the week. You could certainly taste the whisky in the glaze.

14 Likes

Your salmon looks fantastic. Really every thing does but the salmon looks delicious

2 Likes

Moules-frites with aioli and a green salad. Too much food, couldn’t finish the fries nor sop up the sauce with the roll. There was tequila consumed during prep which may be the reason my eyes were bigger than my stomach.
IMG_2830

17 Likes

Thank you! It was very good. The whisky maple glaze really enhanced it.

Steamed artichoke with balsamic mayo, broccolini with pecorino, spaghetti with meatballs from the freezer.

18 Likes

So what’s on everyone’s St. Patrick Day menu? In this lately rare instance that I get to have dinner with both my mom and BF at the same time, he and I will be doing bangers and mash while she is making herself a corned beef Reuben. Personally, I am not a fan of the whole “corned beef and cabbage” dinner, which I always tolerated once a year. However, we skipped it last year. He doesn’t like corned beef at all, and she does not like it in anything but sandwich form. She also does not care for bangers. So, with that being considered, this will be a clusterf***.

As for the bangers, while I was not expecting to find actual Irish/British sausages, I could not find any pork sausage anywhere that did not have “Italian” on the label. I did not think that flavor (such as Premio for example) would jive with the rich onion gravy I plan on making. I searched two supermarkets and could not just find a plain ol’ pork sausage (breakfast types notwithstanding). Someone on this board said they found a Johnsonville “Irish garlic” sausage, and I was excited at that possibility, but the local supermarket did not have anything Johnsonville except “stadium brats” two days in a row. So I researched that a Bratwurst is the best possible substitution, so they will serve as our bangers. Very frustrating, and I will have to slightly alter the recipe I was going to use.

I am planning on being mildly disappointed, but at least there will be whiskey (Bushmills this year instead of the everyone-and-their-mother Jameson). The gravy reportedly takes about an hour to make so I will have plenty of time to drink! I also have a Red Breast 12 year old that I may save for a wee dram after dinner. I am off tomorrow, so might as well.

10 Likes

I was going to make a corned beef dinner, and polled friends and family about accepting part of it. I was surprised at how many corned beef haters there are in the world. I make a great corned beef, but I didn’t want to go through the whole process and have to freeze the majority of it.

So via a friend, I’m having a corned beef and cabbaage dinner via takeout from St. Stephens Green. I’m hoping they include a slice or two of bread. I couldn’t justify making more bread since I have 4 partial loaves in the freezer already!

11 Likes

I like corned beef itself, but any time I’ve made it with the cabbage and potatoes via a slow cooker it just comes out BLAH. The whole thing is usually a wet, soggy mess.

My mom baked Irish soda bread yesterday which I love, so there will be that too.

3 Likes

I make corned beef and cabbage once a year. I used to use the slow cooker because I was usually at work but as you described it was always blah. Plus the cabbage (and potatoes and carrots that I always include) were way overcooked. I started to make it ahead of time to have better control. I’d cook the beef until it was not quite done then add the vegetables to finish up. That kept them from getting too mushy. Instead of water, I use a Guinness - please don’t tell Mr Bean. I have my beef in the oven as I type this.

@heidicooksandbakes TheSprout made a couple of marble ryes a while back. I just took one out of the freezer. Let me know if you need some bread, I’d be happy to drop some off for you.

5 Likes

Wild rice chicken soup, warmed Irish soda bread with toasted caraway seed compound butter. Early dinner. No luck on corned beef brisket this time 'round.

18 Likes