What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

I did a bunch of cooking today, some for dinner tonight, some for tomorrow and later in the week as we are anticipating being a bit out of sorts the next few days.

Tonight: Chinese.

• New entrant! Rice cakes! I looked up a few recipes (as well as Din Tai Fung allergens to get a clue :rofl:), then almost bungled the rice cakes themselves when I put them in the IP to rehydrate… but we made a full recovery! Added cabbage, spinach, and scallions - plus the seasonings. Kid who loves the DTF version is very pleased.
  • Ginger scallion beef (using skirt steak that had been cooked sous vide and frozen)
  • Quorn “chicken” two ways - salt & pepper style for one kid, a savory-spicy sauce for the other (the latter tastes very Indo-Chinese to me even though I did nothing intentional to make it that way)
  • Garlic broccoli
  • Ginger snap peas
  • Soy butter (fresh) shiitake mushrooms

We had some leftover (takeout) chicken corn soup to start and fried rice alongside.

Rest of the cooking was Indian for tomorrow onwards.

(Bunch of pics are in gallery mode - click left or right arrows.)

15 Likes

The usual late night tonight and an early day tomorrow as I have to give a lecture via Zoom in the morning. No booze tonight, though I was craving a Gimlet.

So the usual “lazy night” meal: baked pork chop, Spanish rice and corn, and my only actual cooking for the evening which was string beans sautéed in bacon fat (rendered last week) with garlic and a quick steaming in Bushmills (don’t ask!).

12 Likes

Thanks for the Christorra tip @mariacarmen! Next time I’ll add some just to flavor the beans (and maybe fish it out like a bay leaf) and reserve the rest to top them at the end.

1 Like

In the name of all that is WFD, and the end of the year that has been, my “jump up”. It maybe “run down”
I’ll have to review my inspiration. Anyone kale pancetta, potatoes, salt fish, roasted red pepper.

None of the above! “Cook Down”

Also,

For the record, it was dinner last night, and lunch today.

14 Likes

I had stated what was in the Carnaroli white rice; to several people …

So to repeat:
Italian Carnaroli white rice which has a purple color is due to the following ingredients:
Italian Radicchio (a magenta toned chicory)
Red wine
Herbs
Spices
And other anti oxidant red and green leaves with a magenta vein

The spaghetti is clear, with squid, a slice of guanchiale (pork cheek for taste) and a carabinero, and in French and English, a crevette from Brittany, French Atlantic Coast, red large prawn on ice … A dish we call Mar y Montaña: the sea and the mountain. Very common amongst Michelin restaurants and high end gastronomy venues.

The dessert is a classic Soufflé.

5 Likes

I made coconut chicken curry (adding the dregs of a jar of cashew butter) and cabbage-bell pepper slaw dressed with lemon juice, neutral oil, sugar, salt, chaat masala, toasted black mustard seed, dal mirch (Indian hot ground red pepper, I think?), and cilantro.

17 Likes

Interesting curry dish.

I would like to learn how to make a prawn curry as we do not eat poultry or winged species.

Never made coleslaw – Do you have a recipe for Fennel Slaw ? Or could you recommend 2 books perhaps – one on Indian Curries and one for Slaws ( salad - yes ? )

Have a nice evening.

1 Like

For a wide variety of Indian recipes, many of them making use of European ingredients, I’d suggest Meera Sodha’s Made in India.

It’s a wonderful cookbook with both dry and gravy curries, salads and slaws, street food, and desserts. Just about everything I’ve cooked from it has been very delicious. You might want to hold back slightly on the salt depending on your preferences.

I don’t know of a slaw cookbook - most of mine are winged or draw inspiration from cuisines I like. If I find a salad I like, I might try the dressing over slaw (shredded/thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, etc) to see how it works. I think a good slaw balances crisp, crunchy, salty, sweet, and sour - much like Vietnamese food.

For those who have an InstantPot or pressure cooker, I can also recommend The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook by Archana Mundhe.

5 Likes

@naf sorry for misplacing my post! Thanks for moving.

1 Like

I do, with tongs, just to tenderize a bit.

1 Like

This is brilliant!

1 Like

Thanks. I just added collards to my shopping list as I’m going to have to try that.

2 Likes

Greek fish soup with cod and fresh herbs added. Good for a cloudy, rainy day.

15 Likes

Hope you like them! Definitely stem and chiffonade.

3 Likes

Lal mirch (lal = red, mirch/mirchi = chilli)

Tasty plate!

Ah, thank you for the correction! It was hard to read the handwriting.

1 Like

Dinner from the last two nights: not very photogenic, but tasty - baked chicken wings, two ways: Frank’s Hot Sauce and Lemon Pepper, vegetable fried brown basmati rice. Belated St Paddy’s Day dinner, since H was on a ski junket on the 17th. Oven baked and glazed corned beef with a blackberry mustard glaze, steamed cabbage in CB juices, and roasted potatoes and carrots. All really good, with the CB and glaze turning out exceptionally well.

Unfortunately the CB shrunk by half, but wish I had 6 more just like it in the freezer. It was perfect, in that it wasn’t too salty!

12 Likes

It’s been a week so far.

Even my boss knew it was going to be a Wine Day for me, even though I try not to drink alcohol on weeknights. LOL

It’s also Hump Day.
And Prince Spaghetti Day.

So dinner was comfort food.
Sketti, meat sawce, and a crusty buttered roll (with Kerrygold butter).

And that aforementioned wine.

20 Likes

I love seeing all of your beautiful pictures. Cooked at home , take out , neighbor offering you food , going out , food cart , a freinds or relatives house.
Cheers .:wine_glass:Thank you food friends .

9 Likes

Indian tonight.

I made green beans and kheema aloo (ground turkey+beef with potato) yesterday, dals were from the freezer (2 kinds), spinach/saag also from the freezer, and GF parathas and regular chapatis (latter were awful, from freezer, made by someone else). Fresh rice.

I love kheema… such comfort food. Good thing too. After I was done cooking yesterday, sib decided to taste and declared there was too much tomato… I almost threw a cast iron pan on him :rofl: But… it was true. So I sautéed a brick of ground beef and added it to the turkey kheema, which fixed the situation. So now there’s another meal’s worth in the freezer. I did use some choice words (and was again tempted by that cast iron pan) tonight when he cleaned the pot out and remarked “oh you saved it.” Siblings! :rage::joy:

13 Likes