What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

You mean those white powder/crystal? How does it taste like on its own? I’ve eaten MSG only in form mixed with other flavours, like broth cubes or flavouring powder in instant noodle.

George Takei says it best…

6 Likes

From what I remember, it tastes like salt with a kind of sharp, almost slightly burning sensation. I haven’t bought any in decades, but I do use Maggi seasoning regularly.

Dinner last night - a pantry meal mostly. Luckily we had some fresh spinach on hand, as well as asparagus and sugar snap peas. Somebody needs to go to the store, maybe me, yikes! So, clams and spinach with pasta, veg on the side. Satisfying.

10 Likes

Asian vegetables plus sous vide pork ribs.

Vegetables were king oyster mushrooms, snow peas, asparagus, and broccoli.

Ribs were cooked SV for probably 30-odd hours, and finished in the oven (dry).

Seriously good result (though the ribs themselves were a bit questionable - not a lot of meat).

13 Likes

I missed @biondanonima’s previous post on this - Cuisine of the Quarter is open for nomination HERE.

This quarter it was Chinese.

Next quarter there are a handful of nominations so far - Greek (to coincide with Greek Easter), Mexican, and North Indian.

All of us on WFD cook so diversely, it would be fun to cross-post and theme some meals!

3 Likes

Yep, just Ajinomoto. I just tried some on its own and the taste is hard to describe, not really salty. I guess it’s called umami.

1 Like

Quickie tonight (peewee soccer night) - stuffed shells in marinara and sauteed zucchini spirals with chili flake. Did the trick.

14 Likes

I remember sneaking a taste every now and then as a young girl (and I still have a stash in my pantry). Loved the umami then and still love it. I could never understand the “headache” associated with it. I bet that has more to do with salt rather than MSG.

3 Likes

When I was a kid I had an uncle who used Accent seasoning liberally on everything and I remember it being particularly good on popcorn. Mainly MSG, salt and chili. I’ve never bought MSG to cook with myself.

3 Likes

Dinner tonight - a freezer dive and clean out the fridge night. Turkey, black bean and cheese Chimichangas with corn, avocado and radish salad. The chimis were inspired by the burrito thread. Whole wheat tortillas, filled with ground turkey mixture, and cheese, folded and brushed with o oil, cooked in air fryer. Worked for us.

12 Likes

I’m liking all the sous vide . Love this tool . 30 hours for the ribs. Exciting.

1 Like

Probably didn’t need 30h. Also not convinced the pressure cooker doesn’t work just as well.

But the rub was very good, and the bake gave an almost-professional crust.

So, happy outcome.

2 Likes

I’m learning the sous vide . As I go . Keeping mental notes . Trial and error . So fun . Cheers .:wine_glass:

2 Likes

Mixed Indian for dinner.

Kids had pudas (crepes) from homemade batter (green moong, urad). I thought the adults were going to eat other things, but apparently homemade pudas are irresistible - everyone but me ate them.

Green beans on the side, and sambhar and coconut chutney from the freezer

I ate swordfish with the sambhar and beans.

Then I baked a cake inspired by @Rooster.

16 Likes

Are those idli in the first picture? They look nice and airy. I’ve tried making idli a couple times and they always come out dense and not airy. Maybe because I’m not using idli rice. And/or not fermenting it enough.

Last night was the usual Wednesday Chinese takeout and since I’m off for a couple of days, the perfect night to try a new gin. This is a Japanese gin called Roku, from the legendary Suntory. It uses botanicals native to Japan (Sakura flower and leaf, Yuzu peel, Sencha and Gyokuro teas, and Sansho pepper). I don’t know what any of those things are, but this is a pretty smooth spirit, though slightly bitter (this will make a great G & T). As recommended, I garnished it with a sliver of ginger. It is similar to London Dry Gins but different enough that it stands alone.

11 Likes

I absolutely need to do this, especially there are too many egg whites in different containers. Nobody likes them!

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Sansho pepper has quite a character, I discovered it only recently. I guess the slight bitterness comes from the citrus peel and teas.

1 Like

@naf - you can freeze them, but that may be counter to your purpose…
Some suggestions for use: coconut macaroons, meringue cookies, Pavlova, meringue toppings for pie or desserts, seven minute frosting, angel food cake, vegetable scrambles, frittatas, and really in many recipes you can substitute whites for whole egg. Let us know what you come up with!

2 Likes