What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Very unphotogenic but delicious roasted chicken thighs and vegetables. I rubbed the thighs with a paste of ground rosemary, fennel seed, sage, black pepper, salt, garlic and olive oil, then roasted on a bed of sliced fennel, onions and red bell peppers. The vegetables basically confited as the chicken fat rendered into melty, luscious perfection!

10 Likes

Oops

No leftovers.
Nothing defrosted.

Didn’t want my usual standby of"I don’t know what to cook tonight so it’s breakfast-for-dinner" meal of cream cheese scrambled eggs and toasted English muffin.

Fettuccine Carbonara with pancetta and peas to to rescue.

And rest assured there was a glass of wine. Not that you had any doubt. It IS Thursday and almost the weekend. Because, just because.

16 Likes

Quick and easy-going meal tonight. Pork, zucchini, string beans, garlic, and ginger stir-fried and finished with hoisin, oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, chili-garlic paste, chicken stock, and arrowroot.

While I was off today, I have an early shift tomorrow so no cocktail. I’m looking forward to having a Friday night but dreading getting up at 5 am. :sob:

14 Likes

omygod those ribs!!! mouth just watered.

1 Like

Yes - Dolin is so lovely! Noilly Prat is my close second favorite. And I’m with you, once you find a vermouth you really love, it needs to be more of a co-star than a bit player.

2 Likes

Sorry, I have failed you. :frowning:

1 Like

BF said he’d cook, and asked me what I wanted. I sent him a link to Serious Eat’s chicken piccata, and away he went. I don’t think he’d every made one before, because he was stressing that the sauce wasn’t creamy and wouldn’t thicken! thank god i stopped him before he turned it into a gravy. :smiley: Lumpy/buttery mashed potatoes, roasted balsamic carrots & mushrooms, and a blue cheese iceberg salad (no pic) on the side.

chicken piccata 2

19 Likes

this looks SO LUSCIOUS.

1 Like

Chicken under a brick ( actually, under an oyster broiler pan, followed by a stock pot with a water filled tea kettle inside ).

Spatchcocked!

16 Likes

Though I expect the chicken was meant to be the star of the show, these sides would have stolen the scene for me. All sound delicious—especially the mashed!

One thing I love about making mashed potatoes at home is that they can have texture. No overly smooth spuds for me. Yum.

8 Likes

Delicious! Happy day when pancetta and peas show up to rescue a meal.

4 Likes

Does this mean you made broth? I’m lost :laughing:

1 Like

Nice! Did you already share a picture of your extruder? Can someone help me find it?

yep! we like our lumps and, usually, skin-on. i don’t know why he peeled them this time, actually…

1 Like

no, she smushed it, using the weight of the water-filled stock pot on top of the broiler pan.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks!

2 Likes

Sure, it’s this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TCJGJS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_HDR3857W35RZJS2AQ2Y6?psc=1

I got mine (not really) used with an Amazon Warehouse deal. Took three tries before they sent one whose drawer wasn’t shattered.

1 Like

Looks great!

Would you share proportions for the dough please? TIA

I bought it at Costco, with some extra dies. Keeps going out of stock, but they have it at the moment.

https://www.costco.com/philips-avance-pasta-maker-plus.product.100512840.html

2 Likes