What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

We had leftover peanut chicken stew and brown-cauli rice.

15 Likes

The sun came out this afternoon. After the morning snow . Ribs on the pellet smoker . Along with rotkohl and grated carrots. Winter, summer . Cheers .

15 Likes

Leftover roast chicken, leftover shiitake mushrooms, and freshly roasted cauliflower - nice and caramelized.

12 Likes

@LindaWhit when I traveled a lot for work, I carried a cable that connected my laptop to the tv - for a magnified screen.

Nowadays I think there’s a way to just share screen via Bluetooth or wifi too (using a dongle if the tv isn’t enabled).

1 Like

Thai noodle salad with peanut sauce and pan-fried salmon.

3 Likes

That looks delicious and also unlike any Croque Monsieur I’ve seen. What is the bread in your sandwiches?

Popping in to say hello! I’ve been cooking but life has been BUSY lately. My daughter’s classmate tested positive for covid last week which really derailed my plans. Thankfully, our tests all came back negative. In case you felt a warm breeze yesterday, it was our collective exhale. All that combined with 2 feet of snow has meant plenty of cooking but nothing photogenic.

Stay warm everybody!

8 Likes

Glad y’all are healthy, and hope you continue to be!

1 Like

Thanks for popping in! What a relief that your family tested negative. Stay warm, stay healthy!

Please! Refer my recent Beige Meal Series. :joy:

3 Likes

I enjoy seeing your meals, but I’m always guessing :joy:

Captions are helpful - thank you!

1 Like

I like to keep you on your toes! :blush:

2 Likes

We have been debating chicken sourcing through the pandemic (yes, we must have run short of other topics, lol).

My own conclusion has been that for something where the chicken is “plain” - simply flavored, unfussy preparation - the type makes a difference, and yes, that difference can be tasted. So for the “plain” roast chicken the other night, all one could taste was the actual chicken, and so it mattered more.

When I cook something heavily flavored - whether a dry or wet prep - it matters less to me, because the seasoning is the prominent flavor imo. But sharper palates than mine can still taste the difference.

3 Likes

This. Looks. Amazing!

Did you use a recipe for reference?

Last night’s dinner was pastitsio, pita bread, and assorted olives and feta cheese. This was the second time we have made such a meal in the last month, and while easily assembled in bad weather and very hearty, I can say that I do not want to eat it for a while! One of those things that is delicious, but do not want to overdo it.

I made myself a gin martini using Dolin dry vermouth for the first time. Now, I’ve been through my share of dry vermouths. My first one was Tribuno-- serviceable but cheap. You don’t quite realize how bad it is until you try something else. I soon switched to Martini & Rossi which is really good (and great for cooking). Last year, the bartender at the Belvedere Inn in Lancaster PA made me a martini with Carpano which was delightful. But NONE of them come close to this Dolin. I know several of you use and swear by it (and their sweet red version) and you are right. The flavor is robust and floral, but rests so easy on the palate. I used more in this martini than normal to get a feel for it, and I think I will stick with upping the vermouth ratio.

10 Likes

Yeah, you are right. Since this meal was a rollatini with not much robust flavor, I could tell a slight difference. What’s the word-- it had a more chickeny flavor?

The meat itself was also more pinkish in nature. I did a double-take to make sure it was thoroughly cooked, and it was.

For something with lots of sauce and flavor, I will not go the extra mile. But I froze the rest of the pack and am curious to see how they were fare breaded and fried.

3 Likes

Thanks! I followed this recipe mostly for the paste and broth https://tasty.co/recipe/singapore-laksa

I doubled it, and for the broth I used shrimp shells and some chicken bones I had in the freezer. And I used macadamia nuts instead of candlenuts in the paste. Also I didn’t have any rau ram/laksa leaf so I just used cilantro. No cockles either.

3 Likes

But where was the broccoli?

1 Like

Dolin Dry is clearly the best.

3 Likes

YES! My favorite white and red. Makes a fantastic Manhattan.

1 Like

I experimented with making a ricotta-based pasta in my Phillips extruder. It worked pretty well although there really isn’t an ideal die for this dough. I went with the rigatoni shape and used homemade ricotta, black pepper, AP flour, a splash of water, and egg.

Made a sage brown butter with mushrooms to toss it in and topped with toasted hazelnuts. Served with herbed pork sirloin roast (just had one of those slices, portion police), and Brussels and asparagus roasted in the pork drippings.

18 Likes