What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

While waiting, looked up the origin of this expression. It’s BATED breath! I was thinking if you baited something you might catch it!

"Eagerly or anxiously, as in We waited for the announcement of the winner with bated breath . This expression literally means “holding one’s breath ” (bate means “restrain”). "

5 Likes

i’m so jealous you can get the fresh ones! i think i can get them frozen near by, but i usually rely on ground ahi amarillo or the paste sold in jars.

@ChristinaM - i do like SE’s version, but I think I’ve used epicurious’ too. basically i play off both, but i usually add aji amarillo to the chicken as well. The sauce to me is the key.

and this one, also, because as a sandwich with avo? swoon!

6 Likes

Ahh! Thank you!

I get them in my garden,. A trade off for living in the boonies, where there is no Whole Foods, and the time to start seeds is now!

5 Likes

Here’s a red curry with cauliflower, sweet potato, shrimp, peas, and coconut milk. I have been making curries on the regular this winter, after realizing that curries are a tasty way to use the root vegetables we have.

15 Likes

Which spices are in your curry? Looks delicious.

1 Like

Still on the hunt for purple cauliflower…

1 Like

She also gave me the sisig and larb starters.

Pls explain.

1 Like

This time I took an extra shortcut. I used a forgotten can of Maesri red curry paste from our spice cabinet. I added about a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger from my freezer to freshen up the taste.

My normal shortcut often starts with Thai red curry blend from The Spice House (since the mom and pop Asian market In my neighborhood closed and I no longer have easy access to the Maesri stuff).

3 Likes

Maybe it’s psychological but the purple tastes more flavorful to me than the white. But my picky 12 year old ate a bunch of it, so maybe it actually does taste better.

2 Likes

From step 1 or after they soaked for a few hours in water ?

I’m wondering if you cook them simply, then use them for a variety of things, or did you make soup?

They look like green lentils, Are you soaking them to speed up the cooking?

I think I can figure it out now; maybe the pictures aren’t in order.

they’re just little pouches of marinade, with the flavors/ingredients particular to that dish, but the larb one goes the extra mile and also provides you with a tiny packet of toasted rice powder.

the pouches are the ones pictured here:

2 Likes

Oooh! Must explore further! Right up my alley.

1 Like

Those onion rings look really good! Sorry they weren’t what you wanted.

1 Like

The photos are not in order unfortunately.

I always soak my beans before simmering them … (to make them more tender, not to speed cook as in my family, we " SLOW COOK" our traditional dishes) …

Yes, they are Spanish Ecological Green Lentils …

Yes, the recipe is a lentil soup (vegetarian version) …

No, I did not use the lentils for anything else.

Ok, Have a nice evening. It is 23.30 here …

( order going from bottom up )

9 Likes

i do put the fotos in order, however, this is how they turned out …

PENNESEVEN16265783_10206680369442537_3544962506523901585_n

12 Likes

I made Moroccan Chicken Tagine with chickpeas (from dried) and brown lentils. From the Official IP book - our third time with this recipe.

16 Likes

Pesto pizza again, with diced tomato, shiitake mushrooms, and red onion.

14 Likes