What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Looks so inviting that I could dive right in! And I’m with you in preferring homemade bread to having pasta in the soup.

While I know that pasta fagioli by definition contains pasta—it’s in the name!—I too sometimes omit it in order to let great beans shine on their own.

4 Likes

That looks GREAT!! I’m glad your first experience cooking beans was a success. Once you get started it will be hard to stop.

I totally agree with you about preferring bread on the side than pasta in the soup.

4 Likes

Me three. The cranberry beans are my personal fav from RG. Your bread looks really good.

3 Likes

A Great Job … Looks delicious.

Definitely would choose the bread too !

It was very lovely !

1 Like

I started a new thread for March here:

4 Likes

8 Likes

That sure looks homey and good!

Grrreat combo there.

1 Like

Last night, kids had pasta and broccoli, sib had leftover shrimp, I made myself another pizza from the dough in the fridge, testing out the cast iron pan-broiler method again.

I was still hungry (after half the small pizza) and needed a vegetable, so I made a quick bechamel and my moms ultra-fast cauliflower cheese ensued.

9 Likes

Thank you @LindaWhit

oops, moving to March…

I have that very model. It works quite well and dual (or tri) monitors are great for getting work done. I built my own monitor stand. The sleeve that comes with the monitor is supposed to fold into a stand but it doesn’t work well at all.

This was SO nice of you. :star_struck:

And I love how organized it all is, no guessing, simple instructions.

And the kicker - drinks and dessert too!

Such thoughtfulness, @ChristinaM :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Paging @Mr_Happy @mariacarmen and anyone else who knows - if I buy whole, cooked Dungeness crab from Costco or Whole Foods - what do I need to do with it when it gets home?

Assume it is not cleaned? So the outer shell, guts, etc need to be dealt with? Any tips / suggestions?

Thank you!

1 Like

We have it too :slight_smile:
I agree, the stand is hard to use.

1 Like

Aw, well, thank you.

You can eat pre cooked Dungeness crabs as is cold, or you can also warm them up by say steaming for a few minutes if you prefer.

I found this video to be helpful that shows how to crack and clean a Dungeness crab:

Mind your fingers when smacking the shell!

3 Likes

We just steam to warm them up and then begin taking them apart with crab crackers, eating from the legs, claws and top of the clusters as we go. We deal with shell last - my sister throws hers away, but i like the crab butter, myself, which i typically just spoon into my mouth from the shell. i’ve never rinsed! i know, i’m a barbarian. I do get rid of the gills.

2 Likes

Very helpful, thanks.

I grew up eating crabs cooked from live, which are boiled and then cleaned like this - but I never watched. I like the tip on cracking the claws as prep - makes for easier eating at the table,

1 Like