What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Judging by my friends’ social feeds tonight, WFD today is either lots of sugar or lots of booze. Hard stop.

7 Likes

First night home in time to cook a meal so chicken cordon bleu was the sons request. Side of tortellini and steamed broccoli.

13 Likes

Look what we’re having…actually, what we had. Scarfed down before the last pictures were taken but available on DIL’s Instagram.

Manti!

20 Likes

Wowser! Looks like great fun. What’s in the filling?

1 Like

:eyes: My job was mostly the eating, but I believe it was a beef filling.

4 Likes

Bucatini all’Amatriciana and wine.

16 Likes

Thursday 7th January … A warmer upper during our cold spell …

13 Likes

Beautiful. Risotto with porcini ?

2 Likes

That risotto looks wonderful!

1 Like

Then I came across this today

4 Likes

Tonight was lasagna using leftover Bolognese sauce, layered with roasted zucchini, Provolone, Mozz, and Bescamalia with Parm. I didn’t have actual lasagna noodles, so I painstakingly laid out papardelle in alternating directions. And that’s not to mention the lumpy roux and burned zucchini. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:It rescued very well, luckily. Sautéed green beans.

Previous meals included take-out pizza (last night), American goulash with Bolognese and salad (night before)

Not pictured - pot-stickers, steamed bbq pork buns, and miso soup with tofu.

And while camping:

Pasta Bolognese with salad

Cauliflower and veggie chorizo tacos and creamy cilantro-lime slaw, tomatoes

And pork coppa steaks with mac n cheese and arugula salad.

Also not pictured, local brats, mac n cheese, and baked beans cooked in our tailgate.

16 Likes

I’m having a meeting for dinner.

2 Likes

Comfort food needed tonight. But I didn’t want to cook. So a freezer dive (actually, just an open-the-door-of-the-freezer-in-the-garage to choose something there) was in order.

Beef stew, with newly boiled carrots and baby potatoes. Buttered the hell out of them after draining.

Wine. And TGIT.

18 Likes

Oops, besciamella

2 Likes

An overcooked (:expressionless:) flank steak that had been marinated 24 hours in dark soy sauce, dry vermouth, garlic, scallion, and gochugaru. My BF likes his steak cooked to hockey puck form so this was right up his alley. It had a great, rich flavor from the dark soy but I finished it in the oven after searing a tad too long. Side of mashed potatoes and I also made an avocado and tomato salad for the hell of it.

To drink: gin martini featuring Alibi Gin and Lillet with an orange slice.

19 Likes

Could have fooled me, it still has some pink!

2 Likes

2021 has me back in the kitchen, and it’s great to be cooking again!

No pics of 1st couple of dinner efforts, sorry.

I needed to do a rescue of nearly 5 pounds of prepared mashed potatoes from Costco. H picked them up on a quick trip when they were out of scalloped potatoes. They were Yukon Golds, mashed well, and had plenty of butter. But, they weirdly had no flavor! What’s up with that? Sooo, not being able to throw food away, decided to make loaded potato soup with them. Cooked up some bacon, sautéed onions, added stock, seasonings, and finally cheese. Had extra of all above for garnishes, as well as sour cream, and green onion. It did the trick, and provided us with some lunches too.

Next up some doctored up instant ramen noodles, with a bunch of added veggies and good condiments. No egg.

Tuesday night was red pork curry to satisfy a craving, and use up some vegetables. We had potstickers with it.

![image|700x525]
(upload://5vzOKW362ndbfCKdO7KdJJ0vRue.jpeg)

Last night H made house ground hamburgers (brisket and chuck) with baked fries and condiments. Oh, gruyere on the burgers.

Looking forward to getting fully back into the kitchen routine.

15 Likes

that steak looks marvelous! marinade sounds great, too.

1 Like

My sister and I did take-out last night, khao soi, and i was still craving it today. I had planned to defrost Vietnamese caramel pork i made weeks ago anyway, but i went ahead and made the broth for the khao soi and then added the pork instead of chicken (as is I think more common). Baby bok choy and broccoli that needed using went in too. Topped with overly browned, crispy shallots. The khao soi broth was fantastic, and so much less involved than I’d imagined. I’ll be making this again, maybe with chicken next time. Yum.

17 Likes

I like it still mooing!

4 Likes