What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Thanks, Y’all!

4 Likes

It was a grazing kind of day for me again yesterday. Still sticking with light eats overall, so trying to be creative.

Made some powha / poha earlier - beaten rice with onions and potatoes. Comfort food: usually breakfast or afternoon snack, but works for any meal at the moment.

Then it started POURING as I was making my afternoon / evening tea. And that is simply an invitation for any number of fried accompaniments - bhajiya, batata vada, samosa, you name it (remember there is an entire SEASON of rain in India, so foods go well with rain have been thoroughly vetted :rofl:).

BUT. Stomach. So I made batata vada mixture - my great aunt’s method, with lots of aromatics sautéed first, with mashed potatoes and some spices added in and well combined

I used my “ball pan” again to fake deep frying. Saved a bit of tea till the eats were done - because, combinations.

And that was dinner.

14 Likes

Whoa. Just WHOA! That is all amazing, and that bisque looks phenomenal!

5 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit!

1 Like

You mentioned the bisque!

1 Like

I made turkey porcupine meatballs similar to these, but using crushed tomatoes, a bit of brown sugar and splash of red wine vinegar, and 1/4 c cream.

Served over leftover cauli-jasmine rice with leftover braised cabbage and steamed haricots with butter and TJ’s mushroom umami seasoning.

9 Likes

A mid-afternoon trip to WF had me gritting my teeth at those in the parking lot AND the aisles. Somehow I got in and out relatively unscathed.

Picked up some wild caught sockeye salmon while I was there and went with an easy recipe to try something different than my two usual recipes. It was good; just not a wow.

Rice pilaf and steamed asparagus alongside, plus wine.

And a pic of what has become a regular nightly occurrence with Alfie lying on top of Finn on the back of the couch for a brotherly nap. They are so weird.

17 Likes

My son’s request was chicken Murphy spicy with potato chips. I love my boy!! Ceasare salad and air fried coconut shrimp (failure) not pictured.

15 Likes

Grilled flatiron steak, seasoned with Joe Beef melange du boucher, baked yellow tater with TPSTOBASC y una ensalada de cesárea. There may have been a few Manhattans consumed before, during and after.

20 Likes

Peppers, guacamole, sour cream

Strip steak

With asparagus, pan roasted potato, Bearnaise

17 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Belford Bistro. Below is a link for details and pictures for those that might be interested.

7 Likes

The great northern beans I cooked Wednesday have turned perfectly creamy . Just the way I like them. Power out , the well was dow, snowed in . Back to normal. Love these beans . Cheers

16 Likes

Looks amazing!

1 Like

Perfect snowed in plate.

1 Like

Aww cute! My 2 females can’t stand each other. We’re like refs.

1 Like

Looks like it was worth the effort!

1 Like

Some dinners from this week…

Pan seared pork chops with apples and onions, with roasted potatoes:

Japanese chicken curry with pickle and rice:

Tonkatsu with stir-fried veggies, and rice:
20210126_194536

19 Likes

Totally! But what a workout. :grimacing::sweat_drops: Upside is I still have about 1/2 qt in the freezer. Risotto?

1 Like

Extraordinary …

1 Like

More crab for lunch, and pasta making at sister’s today for dinner. Paired with miso marinated salmon and spinach sauteed with butter, garlic, cream, and parm.

17 Likes