Belford Bistro [NJ]

If I paid 24 for a single lamb rib, I wouldn’t be a happy camper. That is on the same level as the 8.00 chicken wing

2 Likes

Wing?

As in a single wing for $8???

Yup! A flat and a drum so one chicken wing for 8 bucks. …7.95 to be precise. You know this place well too :wink:

2 Likes

Wait…where?

Did I miss this???

1 Like

We finally made it to Belford Bistro and had an excellent dinner indoors. We have been meaning to try it for a while. Details and pictures are in the main WFD thread below. I agree that the appetizer portions are small but the quality of the food was really good. The pork chop was so juicy and one of the better pork chops I have ever had. Mrs. P is not a pork chop person but kept asking me for more bites. If you like Reese’s peanut butter cup then you would love their chocolate peanut butter dessert. Also, although it seems like the pureed whipped potatoes are served with almost every entree, they are so light and creamy. I actually asked for them instead of the regular roasted potatoes.

2 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Belford Bistro. Details and pictures are below in the main WFD thread, including an incredible gingerbread house that they made from scratch over a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Full disclosure…hadn’t been to The Belford Bistro in 12 years (went 4-5 times from when they first opened) and was surprised to learn they were still in business when we moved back 2 yrs ago. Not because of the quality…just that odds of running an ongoing BYOB in a strip mall for over a decade are not in your favor. Clearly, they know what they are doing. He used to have the “Bom-Burger” on the menu for something like $9.99 which was a gourmet level burger. I told them they were selling them to cheaply…next time we went, $12.99. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. Anyhoo, the other night.

10 Likes

Mushroom ravioli, scallops w/pork belly, skirt steak. ¡Perfecto! Here’s a question though…if there are no leftovers, do you feel like a glutton, or do you commend the chef for his judicious portions? We didn’t leave hungry, but we were members of The Clean Plate Club.

3 Likes

Wow! That looks delicious :yum:

1 Like

We were just there on Saturday. I recently found out about this restaurant from a person I follow on Instagram. It is about an hour away from us but well worth the trip. The chef is very talented. The portions might seem a little small but I don’t leave hungry. I just don’t have as many leftovers. Their specials are always great and you have to try the pork chop next time.

2 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Belford Bistro. We enjoyed an excellent special of fresh lumache pasta in a kale pesto sauce with chorizo, sauteed peppers, and caramelized onions; mussels with bacon, celery root, carrots, lemon, and sherry. I could have taken a bath in that sauce :yum: For entrees I enjoyed an excellent special of prime NY strip steak and Mrs. P enjoyed the always awesome pork chop. It all went great with an excellent Amarone.

10 Likes

We dined at Belford Bistro for probably our last time tonight. The food was outstanding as always but the rest of the dining experience was disappointing. They have a small kitchen and small staff and were slammed with takeout orders. Their takeout orders seem to take priority over their dine in customers. I had only eaten breakfast and was starving. We waited almost a half hour for our appetizer while the staff was busy running back and forth with takeout orders, totally ignoring us. I finally flagged our server down and asked why it was taking so long to get our appetizer, and that it seemed that their takeout orders were taking priority over their dine in customers (who are paying almost $200 for dinner). She said we have to do what is best for our business. In other words screw the dine in customer. What made matters worse was that we were the first ones there and got stuck at a tiny table while a couple that came after us got a larger 4 top table, and to add insult to injury, were served their appetizer before us. This is the second time we had a large wait between courses. This is compounded by the fact that we only have the table for 90 minutes, which means that the rest of the courses come out on top of each other. I guess they would be better off doing takeout only from around 4:30 to 6 or so then opening later for indoor dining only. It’s a shame because the chef is extremely talented, but we will have to stick with restaurants that appreciate our business, especially if we are traveling 1 hour each way.
Anyway, I enjoyed an excellent Australian rack of lamb, while Mrs. P had grouper in a colossal crab meat butter sauce. We shared delicious mussels and bucatini carbonara for appetizers. It all went great with an excellent French red wine.

3 Likes

That’s a shame, Eli. I know it’s been one of your go-to spots. I’ve never been there, but reading that post, my first thought is that they can’t be making THAT MUCH from dine in customers (in terms of volume/table turnover). If you can’t do it right, maybe don’t do it?

3 Likes

Sad to hear that. What is the dish with the Brussel sprouts?

2 Likes

Thanks @CurlzNJ. I’m sad that we won’t be going there any more since the chef is very talented and the food is outstanding. Unfortunately, this seems like a sign of these Covid times. Due to the limited indoor seating (currently 35%), small restaurants are trying to make up the difference with takeout. However, the kitchen and staff are too small to be able to do both at the same time. It seems like they are prioritizing takeout over their indoor dining customers. The whole staff was in the back of the kitchen working on 6 takeout bags at a time and ignoring their indoor customers. This was going on for about 20 minutes and I was getting real hangry. I had to flag down a server to see where our appetizer was.
I think that they would be better off devoting about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to strictly takeout orders, and then open around 6:30 or 7 for strictly dining in customers (at least on Friday and Saturday when they are at their busiest).

Thanks @fershore. The dish with the Brussels sprouts was Bucatini Carbonara with pancetta, brussels sprouts, bread crumbs, egg yolk, and locatelli cheese. It was delicious.

2 Likes

@paryzer

This is ill managed and poorly organised.

Of course one can do both, dine indoors and do delivery.

It seems as I stated ill managed and poorly managed.

Sorry to hear.

2 Likes

That’s not the best answer they could have given you. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I agree :slightly_smiling_face:
At the very least the server could have apologized for the delay and mentioned that they were slammed with takeout orders.

4 Likes