What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Gnocchi in Gorgonzola cream sauce.

14 Likes

I love this pasta dish of yours. Is there also anchovies?

Yep exactly, and it was definitely cooked, because otherwise it would have been way too raw tasting. You saute it for 35 minutes.

Guess who’s slowly rolling off BRAT? :-1:t3::grin::-1:t3:This gal!

I made my dad’s chicken soup for dinner - broth and potatoes for me (with a bit of bread to get all nice and soggy) all the other goodies for sibling (chicken, cauliflower, green beans, missing peas). Y.U.M. That’s how good it tastes after 2 days of potato, rice, and toast :rofl:

Also made capellini cacio e pepe for the kiddos, with green beans in garlic and olive oil.

I feel human again after the soup infusion.

13 Likes

Hmm. I saw that. I never cook it that long, just enough for the water that is exuded to dry off.

The original is scalded with oil at smoke point, which takes the raw edge off, but it still tastes very fresh. I love it at dim sum, but I don’t trust it to keep for as long in my fridge.

1 Like

@MsBean I think this is Marak/Marag, in which case we had (substantially) the same soup for dinner :grin:

They look so much alike! I’m not familiar with Marak/Marag but am going to have to try making it. I make at least one pot of soup every week and am always looking for new ones. Do you have any recipe recommendations?

If you made Yemenite bone soup with hawaij, I believe it’s called Marak.

What are the layers?

I was thinking that too. I love that stuff.

2 Likes

So happy. Soup looks delish.

2 Likes

Just the crab mixed with celery, parsley, red onion, jalapeno, thyme, mayo, lemon zest, etc with panko on the top and bottom.

12 Likes

Okay I get it. You made “mine” not “theirs”. :slightly_smiling_face: Looks yummy.

I try to make “theirs”. Never looks the same, but it tastes good. I need way deeper ring molds.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about getting ring molds but I’m almost out of space. :relaxed:

1 Like

what keeps this one fresh is you add in more raw scallion to the 30-minute cooked batch and just cook enough to heat. really a great recipe.

1 Like

Steak House

Romaine, Red Cabbage, Hard Boiled Egg, Blue Cheese, Bacon, Cranberries, Crispy Onions, Balsamic Dressing

Snake River Farms Strip Steak, Blue Cheese Compound Butter + Baked Potato, TPSTOB & Sour Cream

We don’t have a swank built in grill, it was too rainy for bbq-ing and I didn’t feel like lugging out the grill pan, so I seared it in the same skillet as I did the bacon. It came out great except a little too rare, even for us, but that was on me not the pan. I thought about the butter baste method @biondanonima but figured with the steak, bacon, blue cheese, compound butter, etc. we’d already reached our cholesterol limit. :slightly_smiling_face:

There was wine…

Xavier Vignon - Arcane Le Fou

85% Grenache - berry, cherry, slightly herbal, peppery, big but smooth, great with the steak.

19 Likes

DOH!

I googled Marak and nothing came up but when I added “recipes” both the Yemenite and Hyderabaldi versions come up. Though the spicings are a bit different they do look eerily similar.

Simple sheet-pan dinner of roasted hot Italian sausage atop mini peppers, cherry tomatoes, onion, and garlic. Homemade foccacia to go with, from my freezer stash. We saved half the sausages for a later meal.

Simple though dinner was, it felt great to pull together a complete meal after having to rely on previously cooked food this week. Despite me being scrupulously careful, I had a small cut near the tip of my right thumb that I needed to keep dry and clean for proper, speedy healing. All better now!

Yeah, the simple things.

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing this inspiration.

Culinary journeys always appeal to me, now more than ever. I never cease to be amazed how ingredients used in a different way than I’m used to will lift me out a a rut. :grinning: