What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

((starting to question if Heidi really cooks & bakes or just cooks??? Hmmmmmmmmm)) lol just kidding!!!

1 Like

Yes! In both cases. My sis in law can never remember, so calls me every time; think she stresses, and her crusts don’t turn out. But, they work well for me. Forgot to mention that I just stir everything together with a fork until it comes together, then pat it into a ball. Also, no flour on the waxed paper, so basically no mess or flour on the floor. Another benefit to the oil crust is that it simply doesn’t get soggy, @heidicooksandbakes. :pie:

2 Likes

lunch

12 Likes

Those yams are an unimaginably beautiful color. They remind me of the most glorious flowers you might find in a garden somewhere, and make it totally make sense that purple is the color of royalty. So rich and saturated!

4 Likes

They were beautiful. I felt bad having to blend them into a soup. I should have made chips!

2 Likes

More Seafood!

A semi-homemade meal from leftover Lebanese takeout.

Hummus, Toum (thick whipped garlic sauce), Olive Oil, Paprika, Ground Sumac, Pita Chips

Green Lentil Salad

I ordered extra tabouleh and made the lentils the next day for this salad @Saregama. Also added are leftover pickled beets.

Seared Salmon Chunks

I really miss salmon during the off-season. But! a favorite seafood store (Dry Dock Fish Co) buys sushi-grade salmon from this sustainable farm who raise them on a natural diet of krill and either red shrimp or red shrimp shells (can’t remember which), no hormones, antibiotics or orange food dye. They’re flavorful and fatty as h@ll. Almost impossible to overcook, lol. They sell whole, fillets, steaks & chunks. :heart:

17 Likes

sounds great! you deglazed with the soy?

we had more crab at my sister’s last night.
again from Costco. Not as big as the last ones, but just as sweet.

have to take advantage of the season!

12 Likes

That happened to me too recently.

Your soup looks so comfortingly great. When I muse about how wonderful your neck of the woods seems I forget about the snow! :snowflake:

1 Like

Yah, my sister said they had flakes in Altadena… and Malibu!

1 Like

All my favorites!

1 Like

No, I defacto deglazed with liquid from the next batch of mushrooms.

1 Like

That lentil salad looks so good!

1 Like

Thursday … Busy day … So a quick Pasta …

15 Likes

I made a lightened up version of Fuchsia Dunlop’s chili-garlic (“fish fragrant”) eggplant with cauli-jasmine rice and her sesame smacked cucumber salad with pickled mustard greens. It was good even though I overdid the hot bean paste a tad.

70% dark chocolate for dessert.

20 Likes

Made the NYT Caramelized Scallion Noodles. Should have doubled the sauce instead of halving it! Added a little bit of ginger, as suggested by a few in the comments (to make it a ginger/scallion sauce.) Sweet and delicious. Boiled chicken, sauteed oyster mushrooms and yu choy. Egg drizzled with a little oyster sauce. Crazy good.

17 Likes

Working on my favorite Dungeness Crab Cake recipe in this Boulevard Cookbook, but in California time. Could be after midnight elsewhere, or tomorrow.
And more crab stock for gumbo. Or…dare I eat rice? Jambalaya!

Theirs

Mine, so far.

Stock

17 Likes

Looks like a riff on the scallion-ginger condiment served with white-cooked chicken.

I LOVE that stuff, but have always cooked it because just scalding the aromatics with hot oil didn’t sit well with me, since I often have it in the fridge for a while… and It’s definitely an ugly shade cooked :joy:

3 Likes

Oooohhhh @shrinkrap. You’re killing me with all the crab! Yum!

1 Like

The first time I ate this soup was in a Yemenite restaurant in Jaffa, Israel. It is very simple - lots of onions, turmeric, soup bones, and hawaij spice mix. I made my own hawaij using the recipe in Sababa by Adeena Sussman (great book). It includes turmeric, cumin, cardomon, coriander, and black pepper.

14 Likes