What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Want the entire experience. THANKS for letting us sit along side.

1 Like

Back to earth with a weekday plate: pork tonkatsu, known in our house as mashed, smashed pork, grilled cauliflower, barley pilaf. Momofuku ranch on the side, if you want.

15 Likes

Another brown dinner. Peeps on a FB food group have been raving about Ottolenghi’s miso onions, so I tried them tonight but used shallots instead. My shallots were HUGE but i still think too small for this dish because they pretty much melted into the casserole. Thank god it was a Le Creuset or I’d have just thrown it out! But absolutely delish - so melty/sweet/salty.charry/luscious. Four ingredients!

Paired with a pork shitake marsala with garlicky mashed potatoes. I rarely buy this cut (i’m a shoulder girl) but found this tenderloin at our frenchy butcher, and it was the most tender tenderloin ever.

16 Likes

BF made Shrimp Po Boys tonight. Crispy fried battered shrimp, a beautiful Cajun remoulade (there’s some underneath all that goodness too), and fluffy Martin’s hoagie rolls.

We also had an appetizer of coconut shrimp he prepared with coconut flakes that we forgot we had (we overbought on the shrimp and didn’t want to waste anything). It was a shrimpy night!

23 Likes

Omg I love your BF…

6 Likes

So do I! :joy:

8 Likes

Thanks! I’ve tried an oil crust a few times - would love your recipe / method!

Indian for dinner - I’m a bit fed up tbh but it’s been the most filling low carb option for our vegetarian adult, so we’ve been eating it more often than usual.

• Dal - red masoor with lots of onions and garlic in the tadka/vaghar
  • Bhindi/okra
  • Cauliflower (3rd day running)
  • Spinach chicken (freezer stash)
  • Green beans for kids, quick-sautéed but quite delicious - wish I’d made more :joy:
  • GF chapatis and naan for kids - last of the freezer stash

I need a complete break from the standard Indian fare. I’m going rogue next week, lol.

9 Likes

I think I accidentally deleted my own post? :point_up_2:t4: Hmmm…

I was just joshin’ ya.

But guess what? A poster on my local board rec’d a spot in Van Nuys that’s supposed to make really good Salteñas. It’s called Pao’s Pastries & Cafe. We’re sticking close to home at the moment, but I’ll post some photos when we go. Curious!

2 Likes

Yes, please do! I grew up in LA, and there were always a few venues in LA, the OC, and the Valley that had them!

1 Like

Goat cheese Ricotta.

Designation of Origin: Empordà, Girona.

2 Likes

Tuesday. Lunch Out … I had the mussels and my dear the risotto milanese. The 1st sunny lovely day in 1 month. ! HUNGRYONIONRISOTTOMILANSE83236155_10213421641850134_5677898773347434496_o|700x524

11 Likes

I made a creamy chicken and spinach soup in the IP on slow cook mode (3 hrs). I subbed ww pearl couscous, which I cooked separately, reduced the bacon and cream, and omitted the Italian seasoning. Reserved most of the bacon as garnish so it stayed crispy. Here’s the original: https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-creamy-chicken-gnocchi-soup/#wprm-recipe-container-4107

16 Likes

Tonight was a chicken topped with prosciutto and provolone in a creamy medeira wine sauce. Served on bed of mini rigatoni with spinach, mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Quite delicious if I do say so myself!

18 Likes

i just love your copper stock pot…

more salteñas - we froze quite a few. BF also made a Peruvian dish called Papa a la Huancaina. It’s one of my favorite Peruvian dishes - a cold potato dish in a cheese sauce. (Bolivia has a dish with the same name, but ours is made with peanut butter, and I actually prefer the Peruvian one.) The BF used a jarred aji amarillo paste which is pretty strong, a little goes a long way, but I had him thin it down with some evaporated milk. On the side, a little avo & shallot salad.

19 Likes

The whole meal sounds delicious!

1 Like

Chinese tonight, I cooked because others were busy after they got started.

Sautéed mixed mushrooms - king oyster, criminology, fresh shiitake, kung pao chicken wings (doctoring some badly cooked wings from the weekend - marinated sous vide and then finished with aromatics), garlic broccolini, ginger snap peas, and saucy (beyond / veggie) meatballs.

It was all delicious, but my stomach started griping right as I was finishing cooking, so I didn’t eat any of that. I’m boiling potatoes and cooking plain white rice for some exciting BRAT action. Sigh.

18 Likes

That’s the spirit.

Uhhh Yum!

1 Like