What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Made King Arthur’s Crispy Cheesy Pan Pizza tonight, with a little pepperoni and coppa. Used Rao’s for the sauce, doctored with a little chili flakes and oregano, and mozz, gruyere and swiss cheeses. Started the dough on Fri. night. Super light! Crispy bottomed and sides, just lovely. I wonder if this is similar to a focaccia dough… Whatever, it was fantastic.

Salad on the side of endive, lettuce, carrot, feta, pepperoncini, kalamata, in a garlic/oregano vinaigrette.

BF ate half the pie, i had a slice, he gets the last slice for his midnight snack.

21 Likes

Penne alla Vodka - Serious Eats recipe

12 Likes

Kids had homemade idlis, coconut chutney (not on this plate), dal, and roasted cauliflower. Idlis turned out really well, though the batter took ages to ferment for some reason.

I had leftover chinese food - chicken corn soup, fried rice, beef with scallions and ginger, and char siu pork - plus roasted cauliflower.

12 Likes

@gcaggiano here you go:

Pork shoulder, cut into 2” chunks

Rub with salt, 5-spice powder, garlic powder

Mix hoisin, sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bit of grated ginger together in a bowl - more hoisin than the others, should taste more sweet than salty. Add pork chunks and coat well on all sides.

Put the pork in a ziplock or sous vide bag, press out the air and let it marinate at least overnight, longer if possible.

Cook either sous vide or low temp (reverse sear method) in oven until tender but still holding shape

Pour off any collected juices and refrigerate - then remove the fat off the top and finish the sauce with a bit of cornstarch.

Before eating, heat a cast iron pan and brown the chunks for a bit of crust (or you can broil, but I prefer the pan method).

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Tonight’s “solo” dinner. This is seriously one of the best steaks I’ve ever made. Skirt steak marinated in hoisin, oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, and gochugaru, seared on cast iron. The oyster and hoisin sauces made for an incredible flavor combination. The meat (from Livoti’s for my NJ peeps) was so tender that I didn’t need a knife to cut it. Side of Asian chopped salad with sesame ginger dressing because I’m a bit tired of rice. Also heated up a piece of garlic naan I found in the freezer just for the hell of it.

22 Likes

Absolutely, an extraordinary lobster rice dish …

1 Like

Thank you @Barca!
Your black angus and shiraz combination looked phenomenal as well!
Enjoy the rest of your week and stay safe!

1 Like

A couple weeks before all the talk about quiche on this thread, I’d put it on the menu. Hadn’t made one for a number of years, and was craving it. Well I beyond procrastinated, most of the mushrooms got used, part of the bacon I’d cooked had gotten co-opted for H’s BLT, and most of the fresh spinach headed south. Ah well, happens…A funny thing happened the day I finally made it. Was talking to my dad, when apropos of nothing, he said he hoped he & gf could travel to see me, or I to them, so I could make quiche for them! It will be my great pleasure to do so! Since it was a sign from the universe, I got my mojo together, turned on 70’s music, and rocked out a quiche. Enjoyed slicing & dicing, grating, and rolling to the rocking. Now if only I’d been listening to I Will Survive and I Am Woman, it would have made the 70’s quintessential quiche experience that much more authentic! Know I’m dating myself here! Dang, but it turned out good! Oh, it was an olive oil crust, to which I added a teaspoon of TJ’s 21 Seasoning Salute - made it extra flavorful.

20 Likes

Looks wonderful!

What crust do you like for quiche? I’m staying crustless at the moment, but the crust is usually my favorite part…

1 Like

I use either leftover brown rice or shredded hash browns. To either I add a bit of flour to help shape the crust up the sides.

PENNE PASTA & BELLE PEPPERS WRAPPED IN GUANCIALE … ( The cheeks of a piglet ) …

13 Likes

Same to you ! Take care and have a lovely afternoon.

1 Like

Looks awesome - what kind of cheese is stuffed in the peppers?

1 Like

Cooked dinner over the campfire Saturday afternoon in the upper yard. Beautiful day, sunny and low 40’s. Stayed warm with the fire and Canadian palm tree. Leg of lamb, seasoned generously with Byzantine seasoning (Turkish Blend by Penzey’s) :upside_down_face:, garlic, Dijon mustard, rosemary, salt, pepper, Greek oregano. Potatoes added later with sliced onion, S&P. Lamb overcooked, but tender, potatoes tasty. I give us a C+ but lots to learn about this method of cooking! Research will continue. Oh, a nice long happy hour, waiting for the fire to ebb & dinner to cook. Finished up in the dark due to a cat ER, not ideal.

![image|700x525]
(upload://vfAg88SBMKEr5cKTlETLgQZcEND.jpeg)
Parmesan on the lamb coating burnt a bit - probably not great for campfire cooking.

Waaay behind on this thread, need to catch up.

15 Likes

Thanks @Saregama! More often than not these days, I’ll use an oil crust for a one crust pie - for both a dessert or savory pie, it will be a neutral vegetable oil. We’d run out of that due to the fish fry, so I used olive oil, which performed well and was delicious with the savory filling. I’ll do it again! If making multiple, or two crust pies, I’ll go with a combination of butter/lard, butter/shortening or lard/shortening, depending on what I have in the pantry. Made a pot pie last year using an all lard crust, and it was quite delicious. Lard is 60% less saturated than butter, so I don’t feel bad about using it! The pastry is really easy to handle too.

1 Like

Been awhile but I had a hankering for a good steak. Picked up a couple American Wagyu with a loaded tater, bourbon onions and mushrooms with a side of creamed spinach. Delicious and very satisfying!!
(note to self: next time put your big boy shorts on and deal with the cold to use the outside grill. The indoor is clearly not steak-capable - though I know my smoke detectors are working!!)

19 Likes

Oh wow, so delicious looking, and I’m sure, very tasty! Yes, the density of the fat at searing temps will definitely trigger the smoke alarm, frequently. It looks like you have a decent hood, which is key. We’ve got one as well but H forgets to turn it on high enough sometimes. That’s changing, thankfully

2 Likes

Cod, salad, quinoa and peas with Parm.

15 Likes

The marbling on those babies is :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:!

3 Likes